2012 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Dec 092012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 40 mph, the engine started to make a knocking and squeaking noise. The contact coasted the vehicle to a truck stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there were a bunch of metal shavings in the bottom of the oil and stated that the engine needed to be replaced. The engine was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Thompsonville, IL, USA

Aug 302015

Sonata

On 08/30/2015, I was driving my 2012 Hyundai Sonata to my residence and the engine to the vehicle began to shake, all the lights in the dashboard lighted up, and the engine cut off. My local Hyundai dealership repaired the engine of the vehicle at no cost, but I was charged $125.87 for a new car battery. My car battery was fully operationally before this incident occurred. I would like a refund for the amount I paid for the car battery. I was traveling on a public street where vehicles were behind and in front of my vehicle. I received a letter several weeks after this incident occurred for a recall of the engines for 2011-2012 Hyundai Sonatas.

- Manchester, MD, USA

Nov 032015

Sonata

Concerns recall #132 it has not been established, as far as I know, how much time may elapse between the onset of the loud pinging noise and the engine malfunctioning causing a possible crash and personal injury. In view of this the time span could be a matter of seconds, minutes, or hours---- no one seems to know. If they do it has not been revealed. Because of this there are probably many people acutely afraid to drive their vehicle, I know my son is. Additionally the pinging could happen at an odd time or day or night or at an odd location making it unrealistic or unsafe to pull off the road and stop driving the car. In view of the above, this potentially puts the passengers in great harm and exposes hyndai to potentially huge and costly legal bills. Rather than waiting until the pinging starts it would seem to me that if hundai were to pick up the cost of a car rental for the owners involved, before the pinging starts, owners could drive with peace of mind and feel safe and not have to worry about how much might time ( perhaps seconds, minutes or hours) would elapse before a break down. I am sure that providing the owner's a free rental until this problem is resolved would be far far, cheaper and far less time consuming !!!!! doing otherwise would also have disatrous public relations implications. All of the above would seriously affect Hyundai's bottom line as well!! hoping after your serious review and thoughtful consideration to your current and future customers you¿ll get back to me indicating you¿ll provide a free rental to the owner's involved in this recall. I would like to know where the NHTSA stands on this issue and what it is doing to get hyundia to prodvide free rentals. Awaiting your response, I remain don eck

- Westchester, IA, USA

Mar 012015

Sonata 4-cyl

2012 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine failure. The consumer wrote in on behalf of his sister and brother-N-law. As his brother-N-law exited the ramp, the vehicle made a loud squeal and the engine stopped. When he tried to re-start the vehicle, there was a knocking noise coming from the engine. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. When the technician returned, he had an oily oil filter. The threads on the engine oil housing were destroyed. Looking further into the fluted tube that ran down into the filter housing and dispersed the oil into the filter was mangled to the point where the paper element was coming out of the into the oil filter center tube. The consumer believed it was sabotaged as his brother-N-law had just had an oil changed.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Nov 052015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Nov 062015

Sonata

After starting the car after it has been sitting for 8 hours or more, it seems the turbo charger was not engaged. No engine fault light was on and the power was diminished. If you stop and re-start the engine everything would be back to normal with the turbo charger engaged. Eventually this procedure stops working and you have to take it to the dealer for them to adjust the turbo. The safety aspect is if you feel you have full power pulling onto the highway and then suddenly you don't, then an accident can happen. The first time this happened to me I got into my car at work and it started fine. When I pulled into traffic I could feel something wasn't right and the car barely moved yet the engine revved to over 4K.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Sep 092015

Sonata

A very loud, clicking sound coming from underneath the hood. Car would not accelarate and eventually stalled on a very busy highway. I was unable to get the car started and had to be towed. The engine needed replaced and I had to acquire a rental car for a week. I was then informed of the recall after my car was taken to a repair shop. The engine could not be repaired so another rebuilt had to be installed. Reimbursement for costs is expected due to recall.

- Monaca, PA, USA

Mar 042015

Sonata

We purchased this 2011 sonota used from the fox dealership in grand rapids, mi. The car started with odd engine sounds on 3/3/15 while driving city & local and then stalled out. Was able to restart & 2 days later the car stalled again. After multiple tries it did restart and we got it to a shop a few blocks away. After that it would not start. The shop said the engine was frozen. After calling fox huyndai to see if they would help us, as we just bought the car in Sept 2013, they would not help and only offered $4000 to install a refab motor. The shop it was at said $4500 for a new motor and neither could guarantee that the same problem wouldn't arrise. We ended up scraping out the car after 4 days of getting quotes and trying to determine our best option. The car was sold to peddle via peddle.com. (docs attached) peddle sent a West Michigan company out to pick up the car from us on 3/9 or 3/10/15.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Apr 182014

Sonata

My engine blew. While driving my suddenly stopped. Got car towed ro springfield hyndai. Springfield Hyundai of pa, said metal was found in engine. Would not honor warranty. Told me $12,000 to get a new engine plus $2500 for labor. Had to go to different mechanic to get an engine. Costing $400, I have a receipt for proof.

- Holmes, PA, USA

May 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. When starting the vehicle, there was a loud tapping noise coming from the bottom of the engine. The contact stated that the noise continued while driving and lasted approximately five minutes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine) however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to do the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Hollister, CA, USA

Nov 092015

Sonata

Oil pan has been leaking and resealed four times. After first two times the dealer replaced the pan and resealed it again. It started seeping again and I am sick of it. The oil pan has been leaking since the car had only 7000 miles on it and I bought it brand new.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Jul 312015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While at a stop light, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal; however, the vehicle hesitated to move. The contact continued to depress the accelerator pedal and the vehicle eventually responded. The failure recurred on two other occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Douglas, AZ, USA

Nov 082015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000. Updated 1/12/16

- Crestview, FL, USA

Nov 082015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise from the engine. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Sep 302015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at various speeds, there was an abnormal knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the crankshaft was failing and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 69,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Monroe, LA, USA

May 012014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While operating the vehicle, a knocking noise was present coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer who diagnosed that the engine was faulty and would need to be replaced. The engine was replaced and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- New Market, TN, USA

Nov 032015

Sonata

I received a notice for safety recall for my car which I just bought 3 months ago from Hyundai dealership in tampa. My car is making noise from the engine as I drive. I called today to the dealership and they stated that I would have to drop the car off. I said that's fine as long as I can get a loaner so I can drive to my work. The person (jeffery martinez) refused stating that they don't have a loaner car right now. I said you are giving me appointment for Thursday and how can you tell me that the loaner is not available for Thursday? he just kept refusing and so I asked to speak to a manager and he just tells me that the manager will call me and hangs up the phone. I called this morning and talked to a person name karen and she told me that loaner cars are only for people who pay for services and that I would have to speak to an advisor for it. That person never called me! I am not happy with the service that I received from this dealership. This is not my fault that the engine is making noise due to recall and if I have to get it fixed then I should be able to get a loaner complimentary until my car is fixed.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 102015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Joshua Tree, CA, USA

Jun 282015

Sonata 4-cyl

2012 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine issues and recall notice 15V-568. The consumer stated while driving, the engine began to make a loud knocking noise and he lost power to the vehicle. The consumers managed to drive to an auto mechanic just a few miles away, where he was informed the bearings had gone out and the engine needed to be replaced. The consumer had the vehicle towed to his mechanic where the engine was replaced at a cost of $ 2656.83.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Oct 112015

Sonata

In August, 2015 my engine seized on my while driving; there were no warning lights nor any warning that anything was wrong with the car. Thankfully I was driving 20 mph on a local resideintial street with no cars behind me so I was not injured. Had I been on the highway I would have been severely injured if not killed due the immediacy of the car shutting down dead in its tracks. A local Hyundai dealership installed a brand new engine and the car was returned to me. I found out a couple of weeks after receiving my car back that Hyundai was putting out a recall for all 2011/2012 Sonatas yet I found it interesting that I had not received any paperwork. On October 11, 2015 my car caught on fire while I was driving. The engine seized, I lost my brakes and my ability to steer the vehicle. Thankfully I was travelling up hill so the car stopped on its own while it sat there and burned and more thankfully, all three passengers were able to get out of the car unharmed. The initial inspection confirmed that it was an engine fire while further investigation is underway. After this incident I began researching the internet to find out if there had been other incidents to find out that there had been, that this had been going on for some time with engines seizing as well as catching fire. On Friday October 30th I received a recall notice but with no clear instructions...just a "sit back and wait to be contacted with a next step". I do not feel that Hyundai is doing enough to notify owners of the potential dangers involved. The engines seizing is enough to cause a potential death not to mention the engines catching on fire. More needs to be done to remedy this in a more expeditious fashion. I am notifying every Agency possible in hopes of avoiding anyone else from experiencing what I have - twice!

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA