2012 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jan 012015

Sonata

During cold weather, the 2.0 turbo Sonata engine will cut power to the car and go into a "limp" mode if an over boost code (usually P0605 & P2110 ), is triggered. This causes an unsafe situation as there is very little power available to get out of the way or can cause a rear vehicle crash. There have been a couple times where this has happened on 0 degree days or even at 30 degrees. This will happen at any speed if the boost pressure is exceeded and makes for a very dangerous situation. The ECU should not be cutting power or fuel, it should be reducing the boost to compensate for temperature. The only way to restore the power to the engine, is to shut the car off and restart.....codes will still be active but the power will restore itself.

- Madison, WI, USA

Oct 262015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the vehicle sputtered and the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Jul 092015

Sonata

In August 2013 I purchase said car. A month later, I noticed the engine was consuming/burning oil excessively, approx. 1 qt./500 miles. Took it in to glendora Hyundai, they topped it off...my impression of them, no big thing to them. I tried to tell them something, but to no avail. I have emails of my concerns to glendora Hyundai, etc. On July 1 through 9, 2015, I took a road trip in the Sonata to vacation in dallas, tx. On the way back on early Thursday, July 9, the engine started to ping and sputter. Pulled over and assessed engine failure. I was 35 miles away from odessa, I fortunate to get there safe. Struggling at 45 mph off highway 20, I was able to pull in at 4:00am into the odessa Hyundai. I waited that Friday morning until it opened at 7:00am. On Friday, odessa Hyundai was able to determine engine failure. Needless to say, stuck in odessa, I had to get hotel for a one night stay and a car rental to return home while the repairs on my Sonata where completed. A month later, on August 7, I was able to return to odessa and retrieve my car. I paid out of pocket $2,957.10 to get my car back. However, it seems that my car suffered engine failure through this recall that created heart ship and a dreadful ending to a seemingly successful vacation. More importantly, I tried early in August/2012 to avoid all this. Nevertheless, I have correspondence on my behalf to back up my claim. Your consideration on this claim for reimbursement will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Covina, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure occurred once. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,300. Updated 1/13/16

- Millstadt, IL, USA

Aug 272015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 75 mph, the engine stalled without warning. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the battery was low and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 27,560. Updated 1/27/16

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Oct 052015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at approximately 20 mph, a loud knocking noise was heard from the engine. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine); however, the remedy or part was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 54,300.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 50 mph, the instrument panel lights began to flash on and off before the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine failed. The contact was informed that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine), but the remedy to repair the vehicle was not available. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Oct 022015

Sonata

I was driving my 2012 Sonata on the interstate at normal speeds, when I heard a bang and then some clicking coming from the engine. The engine light came on, so I pulled over quickly. When I got out of the vehicle, white smoke was coming from under the hood. When I got out, there was a small fire on the left side of the engine. I called 911 when my quick attempt to put the fire out with a bottle of water was useless. I was advised by 911 to get clear of the car and so I watched as my car with less then 35,000 miles burned. The vehicle was a total loss. There had been no issues with the car up until this fire. It totally burned in about 15 minutes.

- Summerset, SD, USA

Jul 292015

Sonata

My children were driving and stopped at a light. When the light changed, my son pressed the accelerator and the car didn't move. It shut off. When he attempted to start it, nothing happened. No lights ever came on on the dashboard. Had the car towed to pohanka Hyundai in capital heights, md and was told that the engine was locked up and that it was not covered under warranty because I was the second owner and it would cost me $5774, .88 to have it replaced with a rebuilt engine. I also purchased an additional warranty which I thought was bumper to bumper when I purchased the car in January 2014.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Feb 102015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the fuel pump, but the failure persisted. Upon refueling the vehicle, it surged forward. The contact later received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine), but was unable to receive the part from the dealer within a reasonable time frame. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Oct 062014

Sonata

In October 2014, I had an incident where my car completely shut down while driving straight on the freeway (please see attached Hyundai paperwork) without warning. My car was at the Hyundai dealer in North palm beach for 3 1/2 business days before finding out my car was "fixed" and ready to go. The first two consecutive days my car was there, I was called by the service manager rob and was told that "the engine was completely locked up, and they had to run a series of diagnostic tests prior to replacing the engine" which was under warranty (under 60,000 miles at the time). However, I was called on day 3 where rob stated that my "engine was running smoothly and no diagnostic codes were showing up." My paperwork from Hyundai states that the only problem was the need to tighten the battery terminals and recharge the battery. Checking the battery is one of the first things a car mechanic checks when a car does not start, so obviously there was a more significant undiagnosed problem in this case that was swept under the rug so to speak. A little over a month and approximately 1000 miles later, my car stalled out completely on the freeway in similar fashion (only this time, there was intermittent engine shaking prior to the car shutting down). However, I was in martin county when I broke down and my car was towed to the Hyundai dealer in stuart per progressive car insurance towing policy. I had previously completed all my services at the dealer except the last oil change. I am appalled that the dealer did not take into consideration the recent car problems and placed the cause 100% on the local oil change facility. An engine does not lock up completely and get fixed by tightening terminals and recharging the battery. Obviously, there was a severe problem with the engine both the first and second time I went to the dealer.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Sep 172015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 15 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine compartment of the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to multiple dealers who diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Sep 182015

Sonata

My husband purchased the car in Feb 2015. We took a trip in the car to NY in Sept 2015. Only 7months of ownership. While driving on a city street, all the lights blinked on. The car started to slow down, we heard a loud knocking noise. We turned the car off, turned it back on again. The car just stalled. Luckily we didn't get into an accident. We towed it to the nearest Hyundai dealer, who told us we will have to pay for another engine. They couldn't even assist us with a rental. So we are paying out of pocket for a rental car. Luckily this recall was set. Hopefully we can get reimbursed for this rental car.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Oct 052015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 89,895.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while at a stop light, there was strong abnormal odor of fuel. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning and would take multiple attempts to restart. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 292015

Sonata

Was driving down the interstate from fl to SC at 75mph with an infant in the car when with no warning started making a loud noise, luckily an exit was right there with a gas station and was able to roll the car in. I called a tow truck and had it taken to the Hyundai dealership where they said my motor has seized. I was stranded at night time with an infant in Georgia, 2 hrs away from home knowing no one. I am a single mom that is already struggling financially and now I am told that I have to pay $5,300 for a new engine for a car that is 3 years old!!! I've been reading a lot of the same problems have occurred with other people with the exact year vehicle.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Aug 202015

Sonata

I was bringing a rescue dog to his new owners and driving on cruise control at 70 mph on highway 495 South been driving for about 1 1/2 hours( not a constance 70 mph) and the lights on my dash board lit up like a christmas tree and I had no power in the gas petal. Stopped on side of highway. Called insurance company for a tow and contacted a rental car Agency. The car went to a westford bp garage in westford Massachusetts the people who rescued the dog rescued us all from side of highway and he referred us to that garage.. went home and went to local dealership and had it towed there, which is closer to my resident they did a check and determined that I needed an new engine. We both got on the phones with Hyundai and Hyundai paid for the parts but I paid $2150 for the tow and the service to the engine to be able to have my car back. A week later I hear on the news that you all have a recall on the engine assembly which I had replaced. I have the paper work of the work order and work completed and receipt of payment.

- Enfieild, NH, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata

Engine seized without any warnings (as Hyundai states we would have) while driving approximately 73-75 mph. Was accelerating to move from left lane to right in order to exit highway during rush hour traffic on NJ 78 West. Without warning all lights came on and engine shut down. Paying to have a used engine installed with a 1 year warranty. Dealership says Hyundai will not replace our engine for free because we were over the wsrrsnty period.

- Columbia, NJ, USA

May 202015

Sonata

While driving on the interstate I notice my car making a knocking noise, and engine light on. I then pulled over and the car completely died. I had my car tolled to Hyundai service department.they informed me that my oil pan had sludge and metal particles. They informed me that it was because of lack of oil changes and need to replace the engine.I disagreed, but was force to replace the engine at another repair shop.with the recent Hyundai Sonata recalls, I feel this was the exact same problem I had. I am hoping that I can get some answers and a refund.

- Ruskin , FL, USA

Sep 092015

Sonata

While driving through residential area my engine made loud clicking sounds and lost complete power. I coasted to a side street and parked. There was no warning lights or prior issues to alert me that my engine was troubled. Tried to restart and the engine was shaking and making noise so I cut it off and called for a tow. After returning home I begin to research the problem and found hundreds of complaints with the same exact issue on the same model and year car. This told me that my engine problems were just a coincidence but more of a manufacturer defect. I had a mechanic verify that my engine was gone and needed to be replaced. This is an extremely dangerous situation. Luckily I was not driving at highway speeds which some drivers reported. Hyundai, of course, refuses to acknowledge this issue. I see two law firms that in process of filing class action lawsuits. Will it take people to lose their lives before this issue is investigated and Hyundai is make to correct any wrongdoing? I am in the process now of having a dealership do a diagnostic so that I can file a claim with Hyundai. I am not sure if Hyundai will cover the cost of repair or not. However, I think your Agency owes it to the safety of the public to investigate this issue and the claims of hundreds of owners about they problems with the engine used.

- Brandywine, MD, USA