2012 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

May 152014

Sonata 4-cyl

While attempting to accelerate from a stop the vehicle got to 30 to 35 mph and would not go any faster despite pressing gas pedal and rpms went up to 7 and 8. after pushing gas pedal several times the car will finally increase in speed which is very concerning given I drive on an interstate. This has happened 3 times in past 4 months and same exact thing at 10 mph and RPM went to 4 and 5 and car would not increase speed. I stopped vehicle and accelerated and then it operated normally. Dealership has been in unable to duplicate it and has questioned me several times about driving with two feet which I do not do and laying purse on console against shifter which I also do not do. 3 of the 4 times it happened it was at the beginning of my drive within first mile or so. 1 time was near end after about 20 miles. Purchased car used with 18000 miles on it and did not drive on interstate from July 2013 until March 2014 on regular basis.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jun 222014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that after parking and turning off the vehicle in her residential garage, the vehicle started rolling backwards. In an attempt to stop the vehicle the contact fell which caused her to scrape her chin needing 10 stitches. The contact was taken to the emergency room. The failure mileage was 39,000. The consumer stated she and the police attempted to piece together the scenario, that the vehicle was not in park, when she turned it off. The consumer stated the vehicle could be put into any gear, and it could roll, whether it was on a flat of hilly surface. Updated 08/20/14 updated 8/27/14

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA

Apr 162014

Sonata

When I applied break my RPM idle goes up. I don't know if that is safe I show in other car RPM goes down. I took to dealer got oil change. And I asked why this happens. He told me to chack eco system. I chack eco system it was on off postion. I ask him when I bought car I never show RPM go up when I hate break. There no engine sing comesup on dashboard either. This really safety concern for my family. RPM should not go up when U hate breaks. It's should bring RPM down. RPM should go up when U hate gas padel. I get this. But when I go to any speed. And tried to applied break it should drop RPM should not go up.

- Tinleypark, IL, USA

Jan 292014

Sonata 4-cyl

Unintended acceleration, had to slam on brakes and put car into neutral in order to prevent shooting into a intersection of oncoming traffic. The car immediately threw a number of codes, and a engine control system condition code, check engine code.... dealer tells me when unloaded off the tow-truck that the brake pedal went to the floor, after 6 days of having the car the dealership service manager is telling me no problem could be found due to not being able to reproduce the problem.

- Paris, KY, USA

Nov 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

2012 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine revved very high when started. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, but the problem could not be duplicated. Several weeks later, the engine revved to 4000 RPM. Again, the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem.

- Wolcott, CT, USA

Nov 242013

Sonata 4-cyl

Walked out of store I had been shopping in for over an hour and car was in flames. The fire investigator explained it as an electrical short that started at the main engine wire harness and melted the tubing/wiring all through the engine compartment down near passenger headlight and the melting wires/tubing/rubber dripped and ignited on a pile of leaves underneath the car in the parking space. The resulting fire and electrical burn melted all rubber plastic, external belts, wire harness, front bumper, intake manifold and any plastic rubber, fluid lids, exterior parts surrounding or attached to the engine.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata

2012 Hyundai Sonata gls. Mileage not as advertised. Sticker said 25 city and 35 highway. Have tracked mileage from 1000 to 5000 miles and averages 23 mpg including some highway driving. Never drive aggressively. I bought this car thinking I would be getting mileage as advertised. Tried to call Hyundai customer service at 800-633-5151 for a case number and was on hold for 10 minutes before hanging up. Allen Hyundai dealer says nothing they could do and recommended going to another dealer for mileage testing or call Hyundai customer service.

- San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. The contact stated that while trying to accelerate from a complete stop, the vehicle jerked abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure mileage was 108 and the current mileage was 850.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Apr 262012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. The contact stated when attempting to accelerate the vehicle hesitated to move. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that was the operation of the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified who stated that was the operation of the vehicle when going from electric to gas. They offered no other assistance. The failure mileage was 3,500.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA