4.1

2012 Hyundai Sonata lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Dec 202014

Sonata

While driving in the city or highways using my turn signals, hazard lights or brakes my tail light keeps overheating and melting the plastic casing, I have replaced the casing already and the bulbs keep blowing, the plastic from the new casing looks burned and continues to have smoke. I have replaced the bulbs weekly over a year to date. These bulbs are all being replaced by a reputable shop and not an individual. I have receipts to confirmed the number of bulbs that have been replaced since my purchase in Dec 2014. I stopped by clem's Goodyear to inspect the constant bulb outage. I was in formed the entire case has melted due the type of bulbs Hyundai manufacturer are using and could potentially cause a fire or an explosion. The mechanic went on to say it's to close to my gas tank and potentially be detrimental. The mechanic called Hyundai dealership for lighting kit and was informed they keep this kit heavily stocked because of the number of complaints they get regarding the read break lights frequent outage.quoted price $540. So I stopped by bentley Hyundai to discuss the information provided to the mechanic. I overheard the service mechanic customer service rep say to a mechanic we got another one with the same issues. When the service rep returned he informed they have the part and quoted me $440 to replace. This is an indication they is a lighting/electrical mechanical problem that could potentially kill someone. A recall should be issued before it's to late.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Apr 092016

Sonata

The has to be something wrong with lighting or electrical system on my car. I have had to replace every headlight, taillight, brake light and license plate light, not once but several times for each one. Must have replaced 16 to 20 lights. Now the horn keeps blowing. I have had to disconnect the battery cable so it doesn't wake up the whole neighborhood.. I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. I would appreciate any feedback or if anyone else is having these problems.. this is not normal. Also, it loses power as I am driving. Feels like it is going to stall out, but then takes off again.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jan 022016

Sonata

Tail light keeps overheating and melting the plastic casing, I have replaced the casing already and the bulbs keep blowing, the plastic from the new casing looks burned already within a month and within two weeks of the second bulb replacement it is burnt out again. These bulbs are all being replaced by a reputable shop and not an individual.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jan 162016

Sonata

The rear passenger tail light bulb blew out and upon making the change it was discovered that the bulb socket and the light housing surface were melted to the point that the two surfaces would nor interlock correctly. The incident was discovered while the vehicle was parked but the failing of the bulb likely occurred while moving. I'm concerned that this type of bulb failure could be a fire hazard.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jan 262015

Sonata

On Jan 26 my husband was driving home and the road conditions were slippery. When he went to apply the brakes, he heard a loud pop and the brake went all the way down to the floor and would not come back up. Luckily this happened around the corner, but by the time the car made it into the driveway the brakes were smoking. I had to have the car towed to the mechanic. We had to replace the front brake pads, calipers and rotors. Also the brake switch oem had to replaced. When all said and done the total cost came to $729.64. Can I tell you how disappointed I am in this vehicle?? this vehicle is only a 2012 my high beams don't work nor does the cruise control. I am starting to think this car is a real lemon!!! at this point I would like to know if the brake system has any recalls because my bill was extreme and should not have happened on a 2012. I do not have the VIN number on me at this time. Very very disappointed and have nothing good to say about this car!

- Pennington , NJ, USA

May 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle's cruise control failed to engage or disengage when used. The dealership was initially unable to replicate the problem, then replaced a headlamp switch. After this, the radio began turning completely off while driving, and the cruise control continued to act erratically. The dealership said they could not replicate the problem but replaced the radio. Several more times, the dealership stated they were unable to replicate the problem with the cruise control and radio. After contacting the manufacturer, the dealership looked at the car again and found loose pins in the connector to the fuse box.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 152011

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving a night, the headlights were dim and she was unable to see the road clearly. The dealer advised the contact that the vehicle was operating as designed and offered to install new lighting at her expense. The manufacturer agreed with the dealer. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 1000. The approximate failure mileage was 60. It was noticed the first time car was driven at night. Head lights do not illuminate entire road except when in high position. Difficult to see road. Updated 10/05/2011

- Hedgesville, WV, USA