2012 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 012015

My steering wheel has a significant click when I turn on it. I went to the dealership and they told me it was not covered under warranty. Hyundai of tampa told me it was a coupling in the steering wheel column and it is a common problem. I have 71745 miles on a 2012 Sonata. Hyundai had a recall with this problem on their 2011 model, but not one under 2012. I spoke to jessica with Hyundai customer connect center. She was polite but could not do anything except offer me a $35 coupon for maintenance.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 052015

On our first trip on the interstate, noticed difficulty keeping the car from "wandering" the road starting just over 50mph. The steering wheel is straight as can be, but it's almost unsafe switching lanes on the highway. Read reviews of several other complaints with the same problem. Can't relax driving, as you are constantly keeping tight control of the wheel.

- Washington, IN, USA

Feb 072015

The front-end will wobble at certain speeds, around 25 & 45 mph. It has been to the dealer 3 times now. First, they fixed the alignment. Next, they said they couldn't detect anything wrong. Thirdly, I drove with the service manager, and he immediately detected a problem. He had the front 2 tires replaced, with alleviated the problem for a time, but within a couple weeks, the wobble could be felt easily again, at the same speeds as before.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Apr 252015

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that whenever making a turn, the steering wheel would make a loud clanking sound. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Vehicle requires constant steering correcting to maintain a straight path. Issue is most obvious at highway speeds, but occurs at any speed. Steering always veers to the left if steering wheel is released.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Feb 092015

Earlier that day the wrench was lit up on the dashboard, but it disappeared. I was driving out of my neighborhood at about 15-20 mph and the screen read "warning! do not drive! irreparable damage to ? I can't remember" it started to freeze the driving. Then I parked it and it would not start back up. It was towed to the dealer and they replaced the battery and hpcu. It scares me to think what would have happened if I was on the freeway. I bought this car April 20, 2014 and now can just get 2/3's what I paid for it. Sad, but true. When I get some money I will be trading this in as I am nervous driving this car now.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 022014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated while driving 60 mph, the steering wheel started to vibrated violently as the steering seized. The contact refrain from engaging the brakes or accelerator pedal in order to allowed the vehicle to come to a complete stop on the median. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the steering column intermediate shaft universal joint needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Clewiston , FL, USA

Nov 102014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel was making a clicking noise. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who indicated that the vehicle needed to be taken to an authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Agusta, GA, USA

Jun 062014

The vehicle drifts from right to left constantly at high speeds. I have drifted into other lanes of traffic. I have taken the car to the dealer twice. The service writer witnessed the problem with me driving at 60mph, however the service tech test drove the car in the city at low speeds (below 45mph) and the car does not exhibit the problem at lower speeds. I had researched the electronic power steering problems reported by others. I went to the service manager and provided 43 other similar complaints about the steering problem and a suggestion how to fix it, but he insisted he did not have time to test drive the car with me and he didn't believe there was a problem with the car. The problem continues to worsen as the car is now exhibiting the drift at lower speeds. I definitely think this is a serious safety issue and I reluctant to take this car of long trips.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Sep 292014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact heard a clicking sound coming from the steering column. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V434000 (transmission), but the failure recurred. The dealer stated that both front axles fractured and caused all four tires to be worn prematurely. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 222014

Sonata 4-cyl

Upon exiting highway ramp, while steering a left turn off of the ramp, I heard a fairly loud thud sound. Once I came out of the turn the sound disappeared. This noise was startling, as I had just purchased the car. I reviewed the carfax and did not note any previous accidents or damage reports and the vehicle had only one previous owner with a personal lease. I have had control arm problems in the past with my Pontiac Grand Am and this sound was very familiar to me. This can be a serious issue and on the road or highway. This could cause injury to myself and other drivers if the control arm breaks and pull from the axle.

- Willoughby , OH, USA

Aug 272014

Sonata 4-cyl

I took the vehicle for a routine oil change and pointed out to the technician that there was a "clicking" when I turned the steering wheel and that it was loose. He stated to me that this was a big problem with this model year and that it would get progressively worst. I then asked if there was a recall concerning this issue and he said not yet. I would have to schedule an appointment to get it fixed and possibly at my own expense. This appears to be a manufacturer defect and should be covered by the manufacturer.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 092014

Sonata 4-cyl

While in transit vehicle power steering went out, this immediately caused a difficult operating experience and could have caused an accident.

- Canal Winchester , OH, USA

Mar 042014

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle becomes difficult to keep in straight line at speeds above 70 mph. Steering wheel seems to stick in current position, requiring additional pressure to turn. It is as if the steering is held in position by a magnet and the magnetic field has to be broken in order to turn the wheel. Steering then "jumps" to new position instead of turning smoothly. Problem seems to get worse the longer it is driven at high speed.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Feb 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle drifts left this has been an ongoing problem but now the vehicle just started with a slop in steering or a dead zone two inches of play in the steering wheel, where the car drifts and you have to correct constantly, causing an unsafe over correction to stay in your lane of travel at highway speeds of 70 mph and gets worse the longer you drive it one hour or more. It feels like the steering linkage dis-connects and then engages.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Aug 012012

It is nearly impossible to keep the car driving in a straight line. I am constantly having to over correct the problem. It is very hard to drive especially on the interstate. I feel like the car constantly wanders and now we are having problems when we are correcting the car the wheel is starting to stick. This is very scary and I worry for my safety as well as my four year old and my wife's. please do something about this problem I know we are not the only ones having this issue!

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Nov 182013

Sonata 4-cyl

My 2012 Hyundai Sonata steering is not working properly, it is pulling to the left and requires constant corrections. It is very unsafe at highway speeds and does not want to stay in its lane. It has been in the shop twice in the last 2 months, once for an alignment and once for changing the setting for the electric steering. I informed Hyundai of America about my problem and was told the car should be working as it should and that is all they can do.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 062012

Sonata 4-cyl

I have had issues galore with my car since the day I drove it off the lot. First issue and still is just gave up on bringing it back was the steering that drifted. Then I had a sound coming from the rear of the car that made a loud noise. I also have a sound coming from the sun roof. After that I had a oil leak in it's first year. My radio went out, my driver window stop working. My turbo quit on me. Battery died. I was stranded by the car 3 times. It would turn over fast but not crank. I called road side on one of those. My air bag lights come on while driving down the road. It rattles like cheap parts. I have called Hyundai with no response as of yet. The dealership says they can't do anything. I pay a car not for a car I don't trust to drive.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Oct 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

Car has been wandering all over from left to right and all roads. 2nd Sonata in three years both with the same problem. Constantly correcting the steering to keep the car straight.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Aug 042013

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving on interstate 77 North bound in North Carolina I noticed the passenger safety seat belt light was flickering but there was no one or nothing on the seat to warrant the light turning on. So I reached over and snapped the seat belt in and the light turned off. About 10 miles afterwards the eps light starts flicking as well as the brake indicator on the dash, next thing you know the engine shuts down and power steering goes stiff. I manage to pull to the shoulder avoiding getting struck by a car or truck and I am not able to turn on the car back on. I am able to turn on all other items ( radio, turn signals, interior lisghts) I am not able to use the blue link service so I had to call aaa and have the car towed to the nearest dealership 18 miles away. I will have to wait until the dealership looks into the issue, its Sunday and the service department is closed.

- Montgomery, NY, USA