2013 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 282012

Sonata 4-cyl

When braking, the car self-accelerates. There is no predicting when this will happen- sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. this has occurred approximately twenty times when I have started/stopped the car while parking and also once on a busy highway when I was unable to stop for a red light. When this happens, my foot is on the brake, but the car accelerates. The car has been to the ciocca Hyundai dealer in quakertown, pa three times. They've kept it as long as three days. They tried to duplicate the problem and I was told it did not occur. They've told me that they've never heard of a problem like this. They checked out the car and told me that nothing is wrong. The problem has been reported to Hyundai- regional case #6004610 and case #6342874. After filing there's nothing that can be done besides file the report with the regional representative. I've been fortunate that no one has been injured so far. My family members will not ride in the car with me. The car currently has 5,700 miles on it. It is a killer car- an accident waiting to happen.

- Springtown, PA, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the braking system engaged independently while driving at various speed. The vehicle was taken to dealer for inspection however the dealer was unable to determine the cause of the brake failure. Therefore the vehicle was traded-in. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 2,000.

- Henderson , NV, USA

Jun 082013

Sonata

We rented a 2013 Hyundai Sonata from hertz on 8 June 2013. Immediately we noted the brakes felt spongy and took a long time to engage, as well as the steering drifted right or left constantly. We put this down to being a characteristic of Hyundai, which we had never driven. We exited the highway. At the third stop/intersection, the brakes went all the way to the floor but failed to engage. My father kept trying the brakes and they finally engaged after about 3-5 attempts. Then again, about two stops later the brakes again went all the way to the floor and failed to engage multiple times. Rather than rear end the vehicle in front of us at the stoplight, he moved into the right hand lane, where a vehicle hit us and then sped past us. We tried to come to a stop behind the vehicle to call the police and deal with the incident, but the brakes still would not work. We had to swerve back to the left lane to avoid hitting the vehicle again, and finally came to a rolling stop several yards in front of the vehicle. After dealing with the police, we tested the brakes multiple times and they were engaging, so we continued on to my aunt's house. The next day we had the vehicle towed to a repair shop as we were too afraid to drive it again, where they were unable to replicate the problem. Is there a problem with the braking system on the 2013 Hyundai Sonatas? we're just very thankful this didn't happen while we were on the freeway if we had to make a sudden stop, traveling at 75 mph.

- Englewood , CO, USA

Oct 312012

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while in reverse, the vehicle erroneously accelerated and all attempts to decelerate failed. In addition, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure could not be replicated. The contact also stated that the vehicle had been to the dealer four times for this issue. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 800. Updated 3/20/13 the consumers handwriting was illegible.

- Chester, NY, USA