2013 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 302012

Sonata

I have had numerous electrical issues with my 2013 Sonata. First the radio stopped working shortly after purchase. Dealer replaced, no issues. Happened a second time, replaced again. My headlights have been replaced 3 or 4 times each and tail lights twice. Biggest issue has been the electric door lock on the driver's side - it does not lock using the fob or the exterior door handle button. Dealer at first tried to tell me I was nuts, in a very condescending manner, and then he experienced it. The transponder in the door lock has been replaced 5 times. The last time, they had to call Japan Hyundai and troubleshoot the issue. They had my car for a week before they determined that the actuator was shorting out the lock transponder, so they replaced that and it worked the longest it ever has, probably about 6 months. Now however the same lock does not lock using the fob or handle lock and it has been joined intermittently by the rear driver's side door. I lock the car using the fob/exterior lock button/interior lock button, and then have to open the front driver's side door and manually lock it. I also check the rear driver's side door, because sometimes it locks and sometimes it doesn't. the thought of having to go back to the dealer with this makes my stomach churn. Now my car has started to have a persistent metallic ticking/tapping noise that gets worse when I idle. Then it is more of a knock. I have received warranty extension information and also the class action notice related to sudden engine seizure and I am afraid that is what is next because all the notices and complaints I have read say it starts with engine knock and then the engine seizes. I have called the dealership and left messages 3 times and no one ever calls me back. I'm guessing it's because they know what's coming. My car has approximately 57K miles and I bought it new in May 2012.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Sep 072016

Sonata 4-cyl

Over the last 24 months my dashboard, parking, dome, and /or rear lights have gone on by themselves. It has happen more than 12 times the car was off and it happens sometimes during the day, sometimes at night. The vehicle was parked in a public lot or in front of my house. I was not able to shut light off using the remote. The dealer was not able to fix this problem and had no suggestions. This is a safety because the car would not start a number of times and service had to be called. Please advise if this is a recurring issue with this model and if you can be of help to rectify the problem. Thank you.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jul 242016

Sonata

Driving car on a main street with my kids and without warning lights in dashboard come on and car begins to stall. I try tomove to side of road and park and car as best I can on the side. Car turns off and doesn't turn back

- El Monte, CA, USA

Jul 052016

Sonata

Have car for 6 mos. Bought with 30K miles on it. Now at 42K. While driving on the highway/streets, all dashboard lights start flashing, speedometer/odometer go to zero then back up to 100 mph and then back down to zero, ac blows hot air, no power steering. Brought to dealership twice. First time, they said they didn't find anything and sent me on my way with the car. Happened again (obviously). Dropped it off a second time and they performed a "cluster" (whatever that is). That did not work. They kept the car. Mechanic saw what was going on during a test drive, but when checked in the shop, found nothing. They still have the car and I had to rent one. They are calling Hyundai, but have no idea when it will be done and their mechanics have never seen anything like this. Just my luck. I have video of this, but unfortunately no photos. Let me know if there is any way to send a video. Thank you!

- Anna, TX, USA

Apr 112016

Sonata

When I went to park the car and turn the engine off the horn began to honk as I tried to exit the vehicle. The hazard lights where flashing at the same time the horn was honking. I re ebtered the vehicle and tried sticking the key back in the ignition. No sound from the engine at all. Would not turn on. I adjusted the gears with the key & let it sit for 40 minutes. I was then able to start the vehicle. So annoying and stressful. I called the dealership and I was told that the car was out of warranty. I don't know if this was electrical or what but it was certaintly not the battery. All the lights in the vehicle came on even the radio. Four days ago I had fuses replaced for the radio and the door locks. I don't know if the vehicle not turning over/on/starting had anything to do with the fuses being replaced or not. Mileage 74,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 012016

Sonata

I have had 5 or 6 instances where the autostart ignition does not work when attempting to crank in stationary position while in park. I can usually move the steering wheel around a few times. Open and close the door and some other tricks to get it to work but this is a huge problem and my dealer never steps up to the plate to help with solutions.

- Tellico, TN, USA

Dec 192015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was being parked, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked forward, revved, accelerated forward, and crashed over two cement parking blocks. The air bags did not deploy. The contact had to drive the vehicle around and repeatedly depressed the brake pedal in order for the vehicle to stop. The vehicle stopped and the ignition was turned to the off position, but the interior lights illuminated continuously. The contact turned the ignition back to the on position in order to call for roadside assistance. The brake pedal was positioned differently. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the failure was not duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000. Updated 02/23/16

- Bedford, OH, USA

Sep 282015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 60 mph without warning, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle on the first attempt. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine before the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The contact was informed that the engine seized. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Locust, NC, USA

Oct 172015

Sonata

While driving at 65mph on interstate highways, tpns indicator lit up on dashboard. Vehicle was at constant speed, I.e., not under acceleration or braking, roads were straight. We had the tire pressures checked at costco, and they were adequate at 33psi per wheel. Sensors were checked and read out at 33psi. System was "re-programmed". fault occurred again. Dealer checked the system, reported "no fault found". we were told dealer was aware of other 2013 Sonatas with similar faults when "electrical noise" overwhelmed the system causing a "false fault". we think Hyundai should fix this issue.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Oct 222015

Sonata

Engine shuts off while driving resulting in two minor accidents/off/road incidents, battery (which has tested in excellent condition) needs to be jump started 4-5 times a week, sometimes more. Radio, charging ports, and steering wheel controls are not currently working, lights inside car flash, headlights become locked on, every single function in car has ended twice locking me out completely. These incidents have happened on many different dates and the dealer will not help us, but I am entering the date of the last incident below.

- Cold Brook, NY, USA

Oct 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator petal was depressed. In addition, when parked, the vehicle had a delayed start when the key was turned to the start position. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,772.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Mar 052014

Sonata

When turning off car w push button, if not in park car will roll roll roll a mild alarm will sound but it will still roll let U out of car and roll.

- Oswego, IL, USA

Aug 102015

Sonata

After starting to drive I wanted to turn the volume up. As I tried to turn up the volume the system would actually turn it down. Also, so far three times as I attempted to try to turn the volume up the voice prompt command would ask for a command. This does not occur at any time to turn the volume down.

- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA

May 062015

Sonata

Electric fuse box apparently had a short. Impacted door locks, radio, and would cause lights to burn out very quickly...within 3 months or less.

- Holtwood, PA, USA

Jun 122015

Sonata

(keyless entry) the car intermittently starts. When this occurs, the car will turn on, but will not start. The dashboard lights will come on and the steering wheel and brakes will lock. Sometimes after a couple tries, the car will start. There has been a few instances where the car would not start for hours and had to be left at the location, but will work the next day. This seems to occur mostly in the afternoon, after the car has been sitting out in the sun for a long period of time. There has been an attempt to jump the car, but was unsuccessful.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Sonata

In rain car looses power. Wants to cut off.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

May 132013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the vehicle alarm activated and the rear passenger side door warning light illuminated. On a different occasion, the contact stated that the dome light failed to turn off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that there was an electrical short occurred in the steering wheel and the radio. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 012014

Sonata

Just recently the steering has become unstable. It is constantly weaving back and forth. It has become very tiring to hold it in the middle of the lane. Dealership says nothing is wrong and no one else has complained. However I see I am not the only one, as two other people are here complaining of the same problem. Also in the last week my keyless door locks only work part of the time on both the passenger and the driver side. I have to hit them several times to get them to unlock.

- Houston , TX, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata

Vehicle in question is the limited 2.0T trim line. Speed displayed on the speedometer is consistently 5% higher than true speed of vehicle, as verified by independent equipment. Speed control is equally affected. Odometer readings are also off by the same amount (I.e. reading higher that actual distances traveled). Information reported to dealer's service department and they claim nothing is wrong.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 022014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was turning on to smith switch road in ashburn Virginia from waxpool road. I reached to turn on the emergency flashers due to bicyclist on the roadway and I bumped the starter switch for the car and it shut the car off while it was still in motion. This caused the steering to be heavy and brakes very hard to use. Luckily I was able to coast off the road without an accident. I had to stop the vehicle totally and put back into park before it would start again and it would not start again while it was coasting. I tried and it didn't work.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA