2013 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Aug 012016

Sonata

On 8/1/2016, I was involved in a car accident and my airbags did not deploy. I was on a city street at 5:00am. The posted speed was 35 mph, I was headed westbound on 79th St in Chicago Illinois and the other car was headed eastbound. The other car came over into my lane of traffic, coming head on to me, I started blowing my horn trying to get his attention to avoid the accident. After I saw that he was not trying to change his course of direction I move slightly toward my right to avoid the collision, but was unsuccessful. The other vehicle hit me starting on the driver back side, my car was forced over the curb due to the impact and pushed onto the side walk. Being pushed onto the side walk my car sustained damage from hitting a rod iron fence on the right passenger side and damage to the driver front as well, my back bumper was torn off as well from the impact of the crash. My bumper was several feet away from where my car was at it stand point. My car was totaled due to the damage it had sustained, my axles were broken on my car and the other individual car axle appeared to be broken as well. The individual that hit me his airbags had deployed due to the damage and my airbags had not deployed, my vehicle sustained more visible damage more so then the other vehicle,

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Apr 052016

Sonata

Pulled into a parking space with foot on brake, I had not put the car into 'park" yet and it accelerated and jumped the curb and crashed into a tree. Air bags did not deploy. The engine raced. A witness saw it/heard it happen and stayed until police arrived. She did provide her phone number for verification. The accident caused $8300. Damage. The repair shop would have totaled the car if the airbags deployed but they did not. Attached are pictures of the damage and the police report. This is the fourth Hyundai car we have purchased and not question the safety of their vehicles.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata

I am unable to access the Hyundai blue link software which controls remote start, engine stop, vehicle tracking and othet items. Hyundai dealer and Hyundai motor Corp refuses to do anything making nthis vehicle and any others with the same feature a hazard. If someone hacks into my old emailaccount they can remotely start the car in our garage killing us, or remotely start and unlock the dorrs anywhere and there is nothing we can do. These vehicles should be recalled immediately and the corporate executives who have allowed this to continue be brought up on criminal charges. The car is also equipped with summer only tires in the midwest? unsafe to drive in any cold weather with snow or ice.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Sep 302015

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately at 70 mph, the swing arm fractured and detached. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle, and crashed into a median strip. The air bags failed to deploy and there were no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. Update 01/13/16

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Jul 152015

Sonata

Was recently in a car accident on 7/15/15 driving my Hyundai. I was on the freeway at a complete stop in the exit lane. The other driver was going freeway speed (60/65) and I was rear ended, pushed into the car in front of me, my car spun and I was hit again on the drivers side and through all this, none of my airbags went off. I am now recovering from hitting my head on the steering wheel, back and neck problems.,safety was one of the main reasons we bought the car. Updated 09/14/15

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Feb 192015

Sonata

I was in a car wreck and the air bags did not go off..

- Denton, TX, USA

Jul 232014

Sonata

I got car accident on I90. A big truck hit a rear door on driver side and the car spines. The truck again hit to side of trunk and top door of trunk was gone and broken also back glass(back of rear seat) my question is why not deploy side curtain airbags on front and back seats. No airbags deploy. My wondering is that if my kid sit on back seat, I am scare of it. Is it normal ?

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

May 162014

Sonata

I was T-boned tonight in an accident~~ I was driving approx. 35 and another car drove straight into my drivers side of my car going about 25-30~~she hit hard enough to ruin both doors, "crumpled" metal, rear fender, and scrub tires~~ none of the airbags deployed"???" need better safety than this~~~ I got tossed around pretty good inside~~~~4 hrs later and I am in severe neck and shoulder pain!!!

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Apr 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was involved in a T-bone collision with another vehicle that ran a redlight. While I was traveling at approximately 20-25 mph, the vehicle I collided with was traveling at approximately 35-45 mph. My front bumper was torn off in the collision as well as both headlights and the grill was damaged. I was the only occupant of the vehicle. The driver airbag did not deploy despite the apparent severity of the crash. Mileage at time of incident is estimated as the vehicle is currently in for repair.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jan 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

I took the exit on 605 North and stop at the light to turn right because there is a no turn on red sign. As the light turned green, I start the vehicle to turn right then got hit on the driver side up to the front end. The other vehicle ran the red light and his speed was about 45-50 mph. My car got hit hard at the front and turned 180 degree, none of the airbags was deployed. As a safety concern, I would like to file a complaint as I am gonna have a baby soon this year 2014. What if that another accident occur and the baby or my spouse in the car with me?

- Westminster, CA, USA

Feb 032013

Sonata

I was driving a new 2013 Hyundai Sonata in a parking area, approaching a parking space for a straight-in parking facing a building. My speed was about 10mph. I brake continuously to slow down and stop, but nothing happened. The car went through the parking space and crashed into the brick wall facade of the building. The air bags did not deploy. The brick wall was not damaged. I had about 5 minor bruises on my right leg, and two below umbilicus (seat belt area). I also suffered from fright and emotional distress. A nearby pedestrian was cut on the ankle by crash debris that projected out sideways from the impact. The debris also scratched a car in the adjacent parking space. My insurance adjustor said that the car was a total loss from the damage.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA