2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Nov 132013

Sonata

My 2013 Sonata has 12000 miles on it, the best pirelli tires and four wheel alignment twice. I thought new tires would make the car drive better but it did not help the steering. My Sonata will not drive in a straight line without constant correction on all highway types. This is total driving fatigue and I will only drive short distances until Hyundai has a recall on these cars in fixing the electric steering so the electric steering is not so over active. Maybe fulltime power steering would remedy the constant need in trying to make this car drive right. Also the electric power steering unit should always be installed on the rack and pinion. If this steering problem is not fixed soon I will trade my car for another car that drives like a car should. When I read all the other reviews on the internet about the 2013 Sonata and the bad steering issue, we are all describing the same problem. I really enjoy this Sonata limited, it is so well equipped but hate the way it wanders back and forth.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jun 022014

Sonata

I purchased my Hyundai Sonata used from napleton Hyundai, West palm beach, fl. My car is under full warranty since it was purchased at the dealer. The car had 16,000 mile on it when I purchased it in May 2014. Shortly after my purchase I returned to the dealership with a complaint that the steering had a wondering to the left that seemed to stick when traveling on the highway. I told them that my husband and my son both made comment on it when they drove the car. I never gave them any notice of the steering, yet they noticed it as well. I looked on the internet about the problem and many 2013 Sonata's complained of the same steering problem. The service person took it for a ride and said it was not a problem that I needed to just get used to electronic steering. Over the last years my husband and I have rented many cars as we were looking for a home 4 hrs away from home and didn't want the extra miles on our car. We rented many 2013's with electronic steering and none had this problem and it is a dangerious problem, as it does stress out the driver to keep correcting the steering that seems to stick to the left and will not track straight while driving. I have been told that a reason for not replacing the steering is that Hyundai with not reimburse the dealer if they deem the steering was not the problem. I and many others are stuck with a car that has no adjustment and no recall status in place. No one will even entertaine the fact that there is a problem with the steering. Can you help or look into this as a problem? I am taking my car in once again to Hyundai this month 3-2016 to have them check the steering. If they turn me down again on fixing the steering. I will be taking it to an independent machanice for a second opinion.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Mar 012016

Sonata

My steering wheel is about to fall off. Trying to get the car company to cover, but they do not want to. The coupler I believe in the steering is the issue. The steering wheel makes noise and affecting the steering. Fighting with them now the steering wheel is loose and makes a clunk noise when turning or going over bumps it has been going on a month or

- Weston, FL, USA

Feb 232016

Sonata

I can be driving in a straight line and as you need to correct driving line of car the steering wheel sticks as if you actually feel it try to hold you from correcting. It is only for a split second but this is constantly going on as you drive down the highway at speeds over 60mph. It seems you have to constantly correct line of car much more than usual as is wants to drift left or right. With the constant correction and sticking (or hanging feeling) in the steering wheel it is very aggravating and very stressful on a trip. I am afraid this sticking of the wheel may all of a sudden not release and a wreck is likely. It only happens at speeds above 60 mph. This does not happen at all with around town driving or on short trips below 60 mph. One Hyundai dealer service rep said this is normal for electric power steering. I have been driving 49 years and this is the first car I have drove with this problem. I have talked to owners of other car manufacturers with electric steering not having steering complaints. I purchased this car used in late 2014 and have put less than 10,000 miles on it. It now has 28,000 miles. Put new tires on it about 5,000 miles ago. I constantly check air pressure and the front end is in line. This steering problem is a safety concern Hyundai should be forced to correct before people have serious wrecks. I believe this is an engineering design flaw of either the computer control, the electrics controlling the rack and pinion steering, or the rack and pinion steering itself. I am amazed that proper quality control testing didn't catch this problem before it went into production. It is apparent this is a broad problem because of the hundreds of complaints posted about these same steering problems on many web sites.

- Suger Grove, NC, USA

Feb 102016

Sonata

Will not track in line wonders all over the road while driving on the highway the dealer tells me this is normal I know this is not true I have Chevy with electric power steering it don't act like the Hyundai.there are a large number of Sonata owners with this problem

- Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed. The steering wheel emitted a loud rubbing and metal clanking noise while turning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Luling, TX, USA

Jan 282016

18 winant street

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 242016

Sonata

Engine suddenly without any prior indicators stopped working while driving 60 mph on hwy. Lost all power including power braking and steering.

- Vassalboro, ME, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata

Steering wheel clicking, lots of play in wheel happens when stationary, driving, and much worse with turning. Hyundai multi point inspection completed on 12/31/15, (note: Fastest scheduled maintenance, ever: 2 hours!) problem identified as a bushing and not a safety issue. Repair not performed. Can schedule for the future. Technician aware that I was taking a long trip to Georgia (440 miles). In ga the dealership identified a defective worn steering coupling part 56315-2K000-fff. Also noted only 12877 miles on the car and "this is a serious safety issue that would cause you to loose ability to steer car". looked up issue on internet, many blogs on this issue from 2011 to 2013, complaint that Hyundai will not issue a recall. Mechanics state, this is a "known defect" in the Sonatas, but no recall has been made.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata

I am unable to access the Hyundai blue link software which controls remote start, engine stop, vehicle tracking and othet items. Hyundai dealer and Hyundai motor Corp refuses to do anything making nthis vehicle and any others with the same feature a hazard. If someone hacks into my old emailaccount they can remotely start the car in our garage killing us, or remotely start and unlock the dorrs anywhere and there is nothing we can do. These vehicles should be recalled immediately and the corporate executives who have allowed this to continue be brought up on criminal charges. The car is also equipped with summer only tires in the midwest? unsafe to drive in any cold weather with snow or ice.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Dec 022015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 15 mph, there was a loud clicking noise when the contact turned the steering wheel left or right. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- East Strausburg, PA, USA

Oct 302015

Sonata

The car is making a clicking noise, also the steering is not stable, especially at high speed (55+)

- Miramar, FL, USA

Oct 242015

Sonata

The vehicle requires constant correction to maintain a straight track while driving. In a few words, the car simply 'wanders' or 'drifts' left and right, with no real 'centered' feel to the steering. Maintaining a straight track is impossible and requires constant attention and correction. The vehicle wander creates hazardous driving conditions and driver fatigue, which poses a public safety hazard.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Sep 082015

Sonata

The steering is making a clicking noise every time you turn the steering wheel. Sounds resembles something loose in the steering column.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 092015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while parked and starting the vehicle, an abnormal clicking sound was heard from the steering wheel when turned. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,657. The VIN was not available.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 062015

Sonata

2013 Sonata steering does not center back to straight. If you turn in either direction, it will maintain an arc. It is easy to oversteer changing lanes, etc. Have had alignment checked at dealer, new tires, rotated tires, and nothing seems to help. It is electrical power steering and there seems to be a programming issue. I didn't notice it as much till about 40,000 miles on the car. The last 8,000 have been difficult to maintain lanes at highway speeds and may lead to accident. Dealer says all steering components are in good shape and in specification. Alignment was checked by dealer also. No wear on tires indicating any issue. Wanders both left and right equally.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Nov 282014

Sonata

Can not keep car in straight line with out turning wheel constantly seems like there's a dead spot in steering took car to dealership they claim nothing is wrong it seems to be getting progressively worse.

- Bedford , OH, USA

Nov 052014

Sonata

Wonders extremely bad. I end up in other lanes. Cannot control car. While brake the car sometime turns or during acceleration. At cruising speed wonders and constantly correcting. I almost hit car all the time. Steering is of center.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Nov 062014

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle stopped responding normally. While traveling at about 65 mph I noticed suddenly that the steering wheel seemed to stick in the center position and require extra pressure to correct lane drift. I have had the car into the dealer 2 times and they say that the steering is electronic and is not the same as hydraulic steering... the steering was normal for about the first 1000 miles I drove in my car. It was purchased used with 11000 miles on it. The steering is sticking when I try to correct at all speeds from 35 mph up and is getting worse. The dealer claims nothing is wrong, even though the mechanic could feel the problem while test driving it. The vehicle is dangerous because of the possibility of overcorrecting at highway speed.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jan 122015

Sonata

This car was just purchased used. When driving it home we noticed the car constantly wanders on the road requiring constant correction. The Hyundai dealer dealer says it's just the electric steering and we are not used to it. I have had electric steering in prior cars but never had this difficulty. I can't tell if it's unsafe but it sure doesn't leave the driver with the feeling of having control.

- Mebane, NC, USA