2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

May 112015

Sonata

Does someone have to get hurt for Hyundai to do something about the steering problems. Are they waiting for the car to be out of warranty. I have a 2013 Sonata. I have been having the problem since I purchased the car in April 2015 used with low milage from a dealer. It had only 12,000 mile when I purchased it cash. I realized the car had a problem the first week and took it back to then for a recall that was not done and also to have then fix what ever was wrong with the steering. When I returned to pick up the car they told me it was the electronic steering, that I needed to just get used to it. It has been back 2 time and they still refuse to fix the problem. They say they can't find anything. I have driven several electronic steering Sonata's newer and none have the problem. It is dangerous and very tiring when driving at high speeds on the hi ways. You have to keep over correcting the steering that keeps pulling to the left and then sticks you have to actually tug slightly on the wheel and after a few hours of driving your arm hurts. I have owned a Hyundai 2003 for years and have never had this problem. What good is a 100 thousand mile warranty if they refuse to fix things it. I am taking my car to have it looked at by an independent repair person and have the car diagnosed. Can you please help with this? I have the dealership papers showing the three times I took the car. To be. Checked for the same problem. They tried telling me the car had to be aligned and needed front tires I got both done. When it still had the steering problem I took it back to them and they said the same that they couldn't find anything with the steering. I'm sure the steering needs to be fixed hundreds of people can't have the same problem and be wrong. Just search on the internet and you will see under 2013 Hyundai steering problems. We all can't be imaging the same problem.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Aug 172016

Sonata

Steering wheel makes a clicking noise while driving and shakes when you go past 60 mph

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 162016

Sonata

When the 2013 Hyundai Sonata gls is driven over 60mph on the highway the car wanders left and right requiring constant steering correction. The steering does not seem to have a center. Had the dealer change the steering mode setting from "soft" to "sport" mode which I was charged $66. The change made no difference. The dealer stated that is the way electronic power steering (eps) is and I just have to get used to it. The issue is dangerous and fatiguing to constantly correct the steering. I looked down to change the radio station and my car drifted into the other lane. From my research on this issue it appears Hyundai and the dealerships are aware of the issue but will not address a fix. The dealer stated that about 2% of the 700,000 2013 Sonatas manufactured have the issue. If that is accurate that would be about 14,000 cars with the issue. That is not including the owners who have not made a compliant. I think there is a lot more cars with the issue. I have followed Sonatas down the highway and observed the car wandering left and right well knowing the driver is under stress having to constantly correct the steering. Hyundai needs to address the issue with a fix before someone gets killed if that has not happened already. Help!!!

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 142016

Sonata

Steering makes a clicking or clunking noise when making a turn or maintaining proper lane position while driving. Sometimes there was a loud clunking sound when making a low speed turn. Also there was too much play in steering wheel. When vehicle was repaired the service adviser said this is a common failure in the steering of the 2013 Sonata. Complete failure could cause steering in a crisis to be very difficult without the power assist. Component part that failed wa flexible coupling pn 56315-2K000-fff. Repairs were made on 7/14/2016 I feel this is a unsafe condition that should be repaired by Hyundai.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jun 172015

Sonata

Takata recal: Female was involved in accident where there was an apparent issue with steering or veering into the left lane resulting in the death of female. No other variants where able to be found during investigation. Vehicle was in motion. Crash report div315049359. After review of a large number of complaints in reference to the issue I began reviewing the case notes. There is potential that the crash was due to inability to steer correctly or the car steering override system improperly correcting to the left. I would like to request an investigation or information on getting an investigation initiated in regard to this death and general issue.

- Monroe, VA, USA

Feb 012016

Sonata

My steering wheel has started to make this clicking noise when you turn it. As time goes on it is getting worse. I called Hyundai dealer they told me exactly what it was before I gave anymore information because numerous people with my type of vehicle around 50,000-60,000 miles something in the steering column is breaking and it is almost $300 to fix. I do not feel I should have to take what money I have to fix a brand new car. I will wait until Hyundai can fix it, if its there fault. But the question is what happens until then is it going to break on me one day and someones life is in danger"???" please help

- Holly Hill, FL, USA

Nov 132013

Sonata

My 2013 Sonata has 12000 miles on it, the best pirelli tires and four wheel alignment twice. I thought new tires would make the car drive better but it did not help the steering. My Sonata will not drive in a straight line without constant correction on all highway types. This is total driving fatigue and I will only drive short distances until Hyundai has a recall on these cars in fixing the electric steering so the electric steering is not so over active. Maybe fulltime power steering would remedy the constant need in trying to make this car drive right. Also the electric power steering unit should always be installed on the rack and pinion. If this steering problem is not fixed soon I will trade my car for another car that drives like a car should. When I read all the other reviews on the internet about the 2013 Sonata and the bad steering issue, we are all describing the same problem. I really enjoy this Sonata limited, it is so well equipped but hate the way it wanders back and forth.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jun 022014

Sonata

I purchased my Hyundai Sonata used from napleton Hyundai, West palm beach, fl. My car is under full warranty since it was purchased at the dealer. The car had 16,000 mile on it when I purchased it in May 2014. Shortly after my purchase I returned to the dealership with a complaint that the steering had a wondering to the left that seemed to stick when traveling on the highway. I told them that my husband and my son both made comment on it when they drove the car. I never gave them any notice of the steering, yet they noticed it as well. I looked on the internet about the problem and many 2013 Sonata's complained of the same steering problem. The service person took it for a ride and said it was not a problem that I needed to just get used to electronic steering. Over the last years my husband and I have rented many cars as we were looking for a home 4 hrs away from home and didn't want the extra miles on our car. We rented many 2013's with electronic steering and none had this problem and it is a dangerious problem, as it does stress out the driver to keep correcting the steering that seems to stick to the left and will not track straight while driving. I have been told that a reason for not replacing the steering is that Hyundai with not reimburse the dealer if they deem the steering was not the problem. I and many others are stuck with a car that has no adjustment and no recall status in place. No one will even entertaine the fact that there is a problem with the steering. Can you help or look into this as a problem? I am taking my car in once again to Hyundai this month 3-2016 to have them check the steering. If they turn me down again on fixing the steering. I will be taking it to an independent machanice for a second opinion.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Mar 012016

Sonata

My steering wheel is about to fall off. Trying to get the car company to cover, but they do not want to. The coupler I believe in the steering is the issue. The steering wheel makes noise and affecting the steering. Fighting with them now the steering wheel is loose and makes a clunk noise when turning or going over bumps it has been going on a month or

- Weston, FL, USA

Feb 232016

Sonata

I can be driving in a straight line and as you need to correct driving line of car the steering wheel sticks as if you actually feel it try to hold you from correcting. It is only for a split second but this is constantly going on as you drive down the highway at speeds over 60mph. It seems you have to constantly correct line of car much more than usual as is wants to drift left or right. With the constant correction and sticking (or hanging feeling) in the steering wheel it is very aggravating and very stressful on a trip. I am afraid this sticking of the wheel may all of a sudden not release and a wreck is likely. It only happens at speeds above 60 mph. This does not happen at all with around town driving or on short trips below 60 mph. One Hyundai dealer service rep said this is normal for electric power steering. I have been driving 49 years and this is the first car I have drove with this problem. I have talked to owners of other car manufacturers with electric steering not having steering complaints. I purchased this car used in late 2014 and have put less than 10,000 miles on it. It now has 28,000 miles. Put new tires on it about 5,000 miles ago. I constantly check air pressure and the front end is in line. This steering problem is a safety concern Hyundai should be forced to correct before people have serious wrecks. I believe this is an engineering design flaw of either the computer control, the electrics controlling the rack and pinion steering, or the rack and pinion steering itself. I am amazed that proper quality control testing didn't catch this problem before it went into production. It is apparent this is a broad problem because of the hundreds of complaints posted about these same steering problems on many web sites.

- Suger Grove, NC, USA

Feb 102016

Sonata

Will not track in line wonders all over the road while driving on the highway the dealer tells me this is normal I know this is not true I have Chevy with electric power steering it don't act like the Hyundai.there are a large number of Sonata owners with this problem

- Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed. The steering wheel emitted a loud rubbing and metal clanking noise while turning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Luling, TX, USA

Jan 282016

18 winant street

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 242016

Sonata

Engine suddenly without any prior indicators stopped working while driving 60 mph on hwy. Lost all power including power braking and steering.

- Vassalboro, ME, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata

Steering wheel clicking, lots of play in wheel happens when stationary, driving, and much worse with turning. Hyundai multi point inspection completed on 12/31/15, (note: Fastest scheduled maintenance, ever: 2 hours!) problem identified as a bushing and not a safety issue. Repair not performed. Can schedule for the future. Technician aware that I was taking a long trip to Georgia (440 miles). In ga the dealership identified a defective worn steering coupling part 56315-2K000-fff. Also noted only 12877 miles on the car and "this is a serious safety issue that would cause you to loose ability to steer car". looked up issue on internet, many blogs on this issue from 2011 to 2013, complaint that Hyundai will not issue a recall. Mechanics state, this is a "known defect" in the Sonatas, but no recall has been made.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata

I am unable to access the Hyundai blue link software which controls remote start, engine stop, vehicle tracking and othet items. Hyundai dealer and Hyundai motor Corp refuses to do anything making nthis vehicle and any others with the same feature a hazard. If someone hacks into my old emailaccount they can remotely start the car in our garage killing us, or remotely start and unlock the dorrs anywhere and there is nothing we can do. These vehicles should be recalled immediately and the corporate executives who have allowed this to continue be brought up on criminal charges. The car is also equipped with summer only tires in the midwest? unsafe to drive in any cold weather with snow or ice.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Dec 022015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 15 mph, there was a loud clicking noise when the contact turned the steering wheel left or right. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- East Strausburg, PA, USA

Oct 302015

Sonata

The car is making a clicking noise, also the steering is not stable, especially at high speed (55+)

- Miramar, FL, USA

Oct 242015

Sonata

The vehicle requires constant correction to maintain a straight track while driving. In a few words, the car simply 'wanders' or 'drifts' left and right, with no real 'centered' feel to the steering. Maintaining a straight track is impossible and requires constant attention and correction. The vehicle wander creates hazardous driving conditions and driver fatigue, which poses a public safety hazard.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Sep 082015

Sonata

The steering is making a clicking noise every time you turn the steering wheel. Sounds resembles something loose in the steering column.

- Miami, FL, USA