2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Oct 242015

Sonata

The vehicle requires constant correction to maintain a straight track while driving. In a few words, the car simply 'wanders' or 'drifts' left and right, with no real 'centered' feel to the steering. Maintaining a straight track is impossible and requires constant attention and correction. The vehicle wander creates hazardous driving conditions and driver fatigue, which poses a public safety hazard.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Sep 082015

Sonata

The steering is making a clicking noise every time you turn the steering wheel. Sounds resembles something loose in the steering column.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 092015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while parked and starting the vehicle, an abnormal clicking sound was heard from the steering wheel when turned. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,657. The VIN was not available.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 062015

Sonata

2013 Sonata steering does not center back to straight. If you turn in either direction, it will maintain an arc. It is easy to oversteer changing lanes, etc. Have had alignment checked at dealer, new tires, rotated tires, and nothing seems to help. It is electrical power steering and there seems to be a programming issue. I didn't notice it as much till about 40,000 miles on the car. The last 8,000 have been difficult to maintain lanes at highway speeds and may lead to accident. Dealer says all steering components are in good shape and in specification. Alignment was checked by dealer also. No wear on tires indicating any issue. Wanders both left and right equally.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Nov 282014

Sonata

Can not keep car in straight line with out turning wheel constantly seems like there's a dead spot in steering took car to dealership they claim nothing is wrong it seems to be getting progressively worse.

- Bedford , OH, USA

Nov 052014

Sonata

Wonders extremely bad. I end up in other lanes. Cannot control car. While brake the car sometime turns or during acceleration. At cruising speed wonders and constantly correcting. I almost hit car all the time. Steering is of center.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Nov 062014

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle stopped responding normally. While traveling at about 65 mph I noticed suddenly that the steering wheel seemed to stick in the center position and require extra pressure to correct lane drift. I have had the car into the dealer 2 times and they say that the steering is electronic and is not the same as hydraulic steering... the steering was normal for about the first 1000 miles I drove in my car. It was purchased used with 11000 miles on it. The steering is sticking when I try to correct at all speeds from 35 mph up and is getting worse. The dealer claims nothing is wrong, even though the mechanic could feel the problem while test driving it. The vehicle is dangerous because of the possibility of overcorrecting at highway speed.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jan 122015

Sonata

This car was just purchased used. When driving it home we noticed the car constantly wanders on the road requiring constant correction. The Hyundai dealer dealer says it's just the electric steering and we are not used to it. I have had electric steering in prior cars but never had this difficulty. I can't tell if it's unsafe but it sure doesn't leave the driver with the feeling of having control.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata

Car does not safely track or steer in straight line - as if stuck in a groove. It is hard to turn wheel and correct, and needs constant correcting to maintain safe steering. Car is properly aligned and tires are properly inflated....

- Jericho, NY, USA

Jan 022015

Sonata

Having to consistently over compensate steering while driving on highway. Steering has a tendency to veer to left and right without any adverse road conditions, and requiring me to consistently compensate and correct the steering. Gives an appearance of nearly locking into place when veering. Alignments good, pressure and tires good. Have reported 3 times to dealer and dealer states condition of steering is normal and expected? dealer adjusted the electronic sensor steering to high to compensate for steering issues, thus increased the veering of the steering of which made matters worse. Dealer states they can not replace steering and is as manufacturer designed.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 232014

Sonata

The steering column seems to not have been adjusted correctly. The car is not able to stay in a straight line and I have to be constantly correcting the vehicle from either drifting left or right. I took it in to an auto shop to check alignment and that was not the issue. The car drives like it has no center for the steering column, not balanced and just free to turn left or right at random. There seems to be a gap in the steering or what I call a play (meaning a space or gap for when you turn and the steering does not respond, it is that gap that keeps the steering from immediate response and causing the steering to drift to that end point, like a runner in a starting block that is not anchored and slides away or like a scale that is not adjusted to zero starting point. I must say I bought the car thinking I was just not used to that type of steering and then thought it was an alignment problem but it has become more evident there is something inns the steering column.

- Prort Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Dec 272014

Sonata

It is an ongoing steering problem. The car cannot be centered on the road (continuously drifts left or right). The higher the speed, the more pronounced and dangerous the problem. I had the car to two different Hyundai dealers and was told they were aware of the situation but nothing could be done to correct it. I contacted Hyundai motors and all I received was a vague form letter. I looked into the situation on the internet and was shocked at how prevalent this problem was. I would like to see someone look into this before some tragedy occurs.

- Tinley Park , IL, USA

Oct 102013

Sonata

When the wheel is turned one way and then the other, a delay from when the wheel is turned to when the car responds and sticks left to right. The delay is tenths of a second.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Nov 192014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle veered from side to side without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the eps power steering system had caused the drifting. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 1/21/15 updated 3/3/15 the consumer stated the steering felt tight at highway speeds of 65 mph. Updated 10/15/15

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Jan 052013

Sonata

My problem is with the electric power steering (eps). Driving in a straight line is very difficult. It does not track in a straight line. It is more noticeable at highway speeds. The vehicle requires constant correction to maintain a straight track. It drifts' left and right, with no real 'centered' feel to the steering. Maintaining a straight track requires constant attention and correction. The vehicle drifts creates hazardous driving conditions and driver fatigue, which poses a public safety hazard.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 012014

Sonata

The vehicle was purchased with a defective electric steering that wanders right and left. It is so dangerous that I have almost not been able too keep the vehicle on the road.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Sonata

Just recently the steering has become unstable. It is constantly weaving back and forth. It has become very tiring to hold it in the middle of the lane. Dealership says nothing is wrong and no one else has complained. However I see I am not the only one, as two other people are here complaining of the same problem. Also in the last week my keyless door locks only work part of the time on both the passenger and the driver side. I have to hit them several times to get them to unlock.

- Houston , TX, USA

Apr 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 51 mph, the steering became unstable and the vehicle vibrated and veered from left to right. The failure occurred daily. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown. The consumer stated while driving at any speed, he had to continually tweak the steering wheel to keep it from drifting from side-to-side. The repair shop stated the vehicle was within factory specs and no adjustment was needed. The consumer also stated there a rumbling and vibration noise coming from the tires, but the dealer refused to rotate the tires. Updated 11/26/14

- Honesdale, PA, USA

Aug 222013

Sonata

My wife and I bought 2 2013 Hyundai Sonatas on the same day and drove them home via a freeway the night that we purchased them. Prior to purchase we had test driven on neighborhood streets but after purchase we both drove our new cars home and both of us had a very hard time maintaining our lanes in these brand new vehicles. The steering pulls right or left and does not stay centered. It requires constant correction and makes it fatiguing as a driver to drive on freeways. The dealer's only solution was to change the steering mode to "sport" mode via computer, however I still have problems and it is especially dangerous when there is even just a light windy day involved. This should definitely be a recall because there are numerous complaints for this same issue and Hyundai knows there is a problem!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 282013

Sonata 4-cyl

We purchased this vehicle new for my wife. I drove the car home from Maryland where we bought it. I was having difficulty maintaining my lane on the way home. I thought it was due to have manual steering on another car and an SUV as a second vehicle. My wife drove the car to my home in hampton and had the same problem maintaining her lane. I drove it back to woodbridge since she was scared of the car after the steering issue. I continued to oversteer the car and have problems just maintaining a straight track. The vehicle required constant modifications to the steering wheel to stay in the lane. The pressure required to move the steering also seemed excessive. I took the vehicle after complaining to corporate Hyundai. They set an appointment for me to get the car steering reprogrammed. Since reprogramming the vehicle it steered a lot better. The problem now seems to be now that at medium to high speeds the vehicle responds rapidly to steering input and in evasive maneuvers seems uncontrollable as it oversteers rapidly. I really feel a recall needs to be done on these cars and wonder how many running off the road accidents have occurred due to this very horrible steering design. The rest of the car is good except for the ignition being able to be turned off accidentally while the car is in motion. I filed a complaint also about that before this complaint.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA