2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Dec 292016

Sonata

I bought a used 2013 Sonata with only 15 K miles on it. The car looked perfect. Since I have been driving a 96 Tacoma for 12 yrs. I assumed I was not used to electronic steering. If this is the wave of the future, count me out. I can't keep this car in my lane to save my life. I bought this car for my retirement so I could do some cross country trips, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I guess I'll rent.

- Dade City, FL, USA

Nov 252013

Sonata

Electric steering at all times causes my Sonata to steer a little farther right or left when I move steering wheel which causes me the driver to constantly make corrections so I can try to drive the car in a straight line which is almost impossible. This is very tiring and frustrating and I think dangerous. From what I read on the internet many other Sonata and elantra owners are having the same problem and I want Hyundai to own up to this dangerous problem that was installed at the factory as a defective design. I am sure Hyundai knows all about this and very likely have a fix for this, but would rather let time take care of the problem. I really like the Hyundai and Kia cars and im not sure if I will purchase a new one until they fix this problem on my car and for many other owners. The years most likely affected are from 2010 through 2015

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 312016

Sonata

The steering wheel continues to stick when driving on the highway. You have to literally tug on the steering wheel when taking curves on the highway. It began to make me feel unsafe while driving because of how difficult it had become trying to straighten the wheel after the curves. I know that a plastic part broke before, and the dealership fixed it with a metal part, not sure if it is the same issue.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Nov 212016

Sonata

The steering of the car, especially at highway speeds requires constant correction to keep centered. It does not pull to the left or right like when a vehicle is out of alignment. When the wheel is centered it feels "sticky", which causes the car to jerk to the left or right as corrections are needed to stay centered. The infamous steering coupler has been replaced when it was at its' worst. However, the problem persisted. The car was taken to tameron Hyundai in hoover, al and the steering mode was set to gls, but did not improve steering. I took the car back a second time to be evaluated, and the service technician deemed it "normal operation".

- Trussville, AL, USA

Dec 072016

Sonata

My steering wheel has a clicking noise as I turn the wheel which is very annoying. I went to the Hyundai dealership and they said it is a steering column couper that is worn down. The dealership is in process of seeing if Hyundai will replace the small device. It should be a recall since hundreds or thousands of people have this complaint. So far, I caught it early and it does not shake yet like some.

- Heartland, TX, USA

Dec 062016

Sonata

While driving down the road, whether it be on the highway or city streets, the steering wheel sticks at the center position and it needs to be tugged on to get it to move. It started out not that noticeable but as time has passed it has gotten worse. Because of this problem of the steering wheel sticking the car swerves quite a bit while driving. I was told by the Hyundai dealership that it was the steering column that needs to be replaced and it will continue to worsen if not repaired. This item is not covered under the extended warranty and I can't see how it cannot be a danger to drive the car in this state.

- Picayune, MS, USA

Nov 212016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was being operated, the steering wheel shook severely. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who suggested that the vehicle be taken to the dealer to address a manufacturer's recall for the power steering failure. The contact scheduled an appointment with the dealer. The dealer and the manufacturer indicated that the vehicle was excluded from NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V190000 (steering), 10V457000 (steering), and 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Pike Rd, AL, USA

Nov 272016

Sonata

At various speeds, when turning the steering wheel, a loud knocking sound can be heard. On the highway, the steering column will shake if the vehicle reaches high speeds. This has been an ongoing issue.

- Forney, TX, USA

Nov 102016

Sonata

Like many other complaints I've read recently, I am also having trouble with the 2013 Hyundai Sonata steering. When driving over 60 mph the steering doesn't center, instead the car wanders to the left, there is a blank space in the steering, and when you go to turn right it doesn't catch right away, then over-corrects, which then causes you to turn the steering wheel the other direction, so it's a constant, exhausting battle while driving. My forearms get tired. It was barely noticeable when I first purchased the car used with low mileage. At first I thought it was my imagination, but now it's worse and tiring. Current mileage 25,000. I took it in to my local dealership (who is great) and they said exactly what I have been reading previously, that it's the electronic steering system instead of hydraulic, that there isn't much they can do, and to get used to it. They did try, and reprogrammed the car to the sport steering mode, which does help the overall handling of the car, which I appreciated, but the problem is still there. They said there is no imminent danger, which I was relieved to hear, but driving long distances does not excite me any longer. I'm afraid this could be damaging for Hyundai as the complaints are starting to stack up. It sounds like a recall for the steering coupler needs to happen, but I hope by registering my complaint, something may get done about it. If anyone knows a direction to go with this please let me know. They did not offer to replace the steering coupler. Each day that I drive it it seems to be more difficult to control the car from side to side increasing risk of sideswiping other cars or obstacles.

- Cornville, AZ, USA

Nov 052016

Sonata

While running the vehicle and turning the steering wheel it makes a loud clacking sound which has gotten worse and it seems like the steering wheel is going to come off! at first it was just a light clack sound but now it has become more and more louder. This is really scary and life threatening. I am afraid of having my daughter drive the car because of the life threatening situation it presents.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 032016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds or making a turn, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electrical steering failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 91,000.

- Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Sonata

My car can not stay in a straight line. I am having to constantly correct my steering. Long drives actually make my hand hurt. Car feels loose like I'm going to drift into someone else's lane. I get nervous when cops come behind me because it actually looks like I'm drunk. Terrible.

- Upland, CA, USA

Sep 152016

Sonata

It started as a clicking when turning and then a thumping. Come to find out it was a recall on vehicles in 2011 but not 2013, which is horrible because it is affecting my car now.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Oct 042016

Sonata

Just purchased my vehicle a week ago. Didn't get to test drive it at high speeds. After taking it on the interstate I noticed that the car tends to drift left and right and doesn't center. Also, the steering wheel sticks when driving higher speeds so when you attempt to move the steering wheel left or right you have to pull harder and then end up over correcting. Dealer told me it's just the electronic power steering and it takes some getting used to. Absolutely ridiculous excuse and it's very dangerous to drive at high speeds on the highways and interstate. Yesterday I had to drive it in high winds and it was a nightmare just to keep it in the middle of the lane. This car only has 35,000 miles on it. Hyundai needs to step up and fix this issue before more accidents start happening. After noticing the issue and googling the problem there are forums all of with similar issues.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Aug 012016

Sonata

Steering coupler wore out, my understanding is that I would have lost steering while operating the vehicle. I understand that this is a known issue and Hyundai should have issued a recall and offered to pay for any owner who has had to pay for this repair.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jul 032016

Sonata

My steering coupler is danadged and my steering is shifting while driving due to this defect. Hyundai is asking me to pay $300 to fix it. Even my car is just 3 years old they are not covering the issue under warranty.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 012016

Sonata

Steering is making a clicking noise while driving and while sitting and rattles loudly when I drive over bumps. Steering is loose and has a lot of play. This started at around 70000 miles. Took it to dealership and was told a coupler needed to be replaced. I believe this is an issue that Hyundai has had a recall on in a previous year and still is an issue in the make and model. Dealer wants $220 to fix this problem when diagnosed today.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Jul 012016

Sonata

Brake light stays on and steering column is very loose. Also it is in recall for powertrsin and air bags.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 012015

Sonata

1. when exit the stationary vehicle, beeps at me. Have to get back in, start engine and turn off again before can exit without the beeping."?" happens frequently. 2. steering - pulls to left. Requires constant steering correction. Does not need alignment. Very annoying when on long distant trips...could be dangerous. 3. driver's seat heats up automatically. Very uncomfortable in summer time. Has been checked out by dealer at least two times and they find nothing. Started having above problems at approximately 30K miles on brand new vehicle. Now have 43K.

- Riverside, AL, USA

Jun 282016

Sonata

While driving on a residential road the steering column ┐froze┐ and became impossible to steer correctly while going around a sharp left hand turn. This caused the car to veer into the guard rail causing damage to the front and side of the car (passenger side). The car regained steering capability and was immediately parked in an adjacent parking lot.

- Allentown, NJ, USA