2013 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jul 132016

Sonata

Vehicle has 70000 miles. Both front coil springs are broken due to corrosion. Found on inspection at dealership. Very premature failure. If not found could have led to tire puncture and possible accident.

- Dexter, MI, USA

Sep 302015

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately at 70 mph, the swing arm fractured and detached. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle, and crashed into a median strip. The air bags failed to deploy and there were no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. Update 01/13/16

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Nov 052014

Sonata

Wonders extremely bad. I end up in other lanes. Cannot control car. While brake the car sometime turns or during acceleration. At cruising speed wonders and constantly correcting. I almost hit car all the time. Steering is of center.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Sep 112014

Sonata

Noticed that front tires were wearing unevenly. Because of vehicle mileage and fact that I keep tire pressure in accordance with recommended specs I contacted Hyundai. The customer service area responded that I was outside the warranty period for wheel alignment and did reconsider when I raised the mileage issue as well as my attention to tire pressure. However, they would not cover the cost. On 9/11/2014, I took the vehicle to our local Hyundai dealership and they aligned and balanced all tires as well as reset the steering angle sensor. The total cost was $218.75 plus tax. I know that alignment issues can be caused by pot holes and the like, but nothing happened like that to cause misalignment. Given the mileage and the other rationale stated here, I can only conclude that 1): The vehicle was not properly aligned at the manufacturer; or 2) the tires were not balanced properly; or 3) the tires used by the manufacturer are defective. Of course, there is always the possibility that all of the prior three factors played a role in this premature/unusual tire wear.

- Jenkintown, PA, USA

Nov 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

2013 Hyundai Sonata gls consumer is experiencing noises coming from tires the consumer believed there was an design issue. The consumer believed the flat spots could reach a point where the tires would become susceptible to blowing up and causing significant damage. He also stated, there was an issue with the suspension.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Apr 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 51 mph, the steering became unstable and the vehicle vibrated and veered from left to right. The failure occurred daily. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown. The consumer stated while driving at any speed, he had to continually tweak the steering wheel to keep it from drifting from side-to-side. The repair shop stated the vehicle was within factory specs and no adjustment was needed. The consumer also stated there a rumbling and vibration noise coming from the tires, but the dealer refused to rotate the tires. Updated 11/26/14

- Honesdale, PA, USA

May 152014

Sonata

On May 15th I was an accident regarding my 2013 Hyundai Sonata the car sways all over the road I have notified the dealer several times and been told there is no fix even though they know about the error the swaying caused an accident that resulted in severe injuries to the passenger. There are numerous complaints about this defect when will something be done about it.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Oct 072013

Sonata

Vehicle wanders badly on highway. Vehicle will not hold a straight lane, so it is very difficult to keep the car in my lane. I do not feel safe driving it on the freeway.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Oct 222013

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle wanders badly, will not track straight, dealer stated nothing could be accomplished to correct problem. Fighting the steering trying to correct or over correct the problem is a traffic accident waiting to happen.

- Vienna, IL, USA

Aug 202013

Sonata

From the time I bought it, the car wanders all over the road. Have taken it to the dealer many times and they adjusted it once. They are basically saying, "get use to it." They also said they would call the manufacturer, but that was weeks ago.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 302013

Sonata 4-cyl

At highway speeds the car wanders all over the road. It requires constant correction to keep it in the lane of traffic. I just returned from a 3000 mile trip and I became very exhausted with having to constantly be. On the alert and correcting the steering. It is way too sensitive and does not track down the road as it should. I took it too the dealer and they informed me there was nothing they could do to fix the problem.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Apr 032013

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle wanders from lane to lane requiring constant correction. This condition causes fatigue when traveling at highway speeds. Vehicle driver can not take their attention off the road for more than a few seconds, especially in windy conditions or heavy traffic as the vehicle will wander. This causes premature tire wear tires must be replaced in as little as 10,000 miles and the cost is about 1K for all four tires. Problem two. Cruise control will not set or cancel must be turned off, or the brake depressed or the control buttons are inoperative pressing the cancel button does not turn off the cruise and if it does, after numerous attempts, the cruise will not reset.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

May 202013

Sonata 4-cyl

Cpsc: I1360329. 2013 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer stated the steering locks and she cant start the car. The consumer stated she was stranded twice, because she was unable to unlock the steering wheel. When she was able to unlock the steering wheel, and start the vehicle, it would run in a rough manner. The consumer also stated she injured here wrist, hand and arm, trying to unlock the steering wheel.

- Banning, CA, USA

Apr 012013

Sonata

Vehicle wanders dangerously from speeds of 35 mph to 60mph. I have other friends with Sonata have same problems.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 042013

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle drifts left and right at interstate highway speeds, requiring constant attention and correction by the driver, which is distracting and contributes to driver fatigue. Unable to track smoothly around curves. Similar to alternating cross winds, even when there are none. Situation very aggravating in actual cross winds. Any police officer would be justified in issuing a ticket for "weaving". dealer technician drove the car and acknowledged that this is a negative characteristic of electrical steering and nothing to be done for it. He supposedly changed some setting from "hard" to "soft', but that had no effect after I left the dealer, maybe even being worse. I complained to Hyundai on their website, with no response to date. I am a professional engineer (mostly aviation) and suspect that some damping needs to be applied to the steering system. At this time, I am noticing that about half of the 2013 Sonata complaints concern the steering system. NHTSA should take action before accidents begin occurring due to this obvious safety defect. Updated 05/23/13 updated 09/10/13 updated 01/02/14

- Sadieville, KY, USA

Dec 172012

Sonata 4-cyl

I just purchased a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The car tends to wander on the highway mostly left but sometimes right. It will not stay straight. I have already brought it back to the dealer twice and they tell me that it is within spec. At first they tried to tell me that it was because I was not used to electric steering. This is not the case. I have test driven other vehicles with this type of steering that do not exhibit wandering on the highway. I found out belatedly that this problem was much worse in the 2011 and 2012 model years and that they implemented a fix. Well the fix doesn't work. In addition when accelerating from a slow speed the car will pull left. The dealer has referred me to Hyundai corporate where I have opened a case number. They now tell me that there is nothing they can do since the dealer says it is operating in spec.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Oct 122012

Sonata

Car drifts to left and right. Fight to keep on road. Hyundai says get used to it. Gov.'t needs to step in and fix this before someone gets killed!!!!!

- Lutz, FL, USA