2014 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Sonata:

2014 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jul 022016

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 15,400. Updated 09/08/16

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Aug 192014

I own a new 2014 Hyundai Sonata, and my main concern from what I recently have researched is that some of these vehicles are prone to major motor and power train problems, that can lead to fatalities. I understand that the NHTSA has been notified of these problems, and there is a current class action lawsuit pending. What I'd like to ask is, why a recall has not been issued by the Agency, given the grave nature that one of these motors could potentially seize while driving at high speed and can very well lead to fatalities. A personal note: When I first bought the vehicle. In August 2014, it stalled once, while driving at 5-10 miles mph, I took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it. It has not happened ever since.

- Reno, NV, USA

Apr 092016

As I was exciting the freeway I began to hear a "knocking" sound, as I made the turn on to the street the car completely shut down and all the lights on my dashboard came on. Since I was in the middle of the street I attempted to restart the car and after initially starting up it then abruptly turn off once again about 20 seconds later. At this point I managaged to pull into a parking lot with the left over momentum. Had to get it towed to the newrest Hyundai dealer. After they inspected it, they determined my crankshaft had seized and 2 and half weeks later here I am still waiting for an engine they say is on backorder.

- Compton, CA, USA

Mar 012016

I heard a grinding engine noise from the car. I took it in to ask what the terrrible sound was, I was told the computer pulled a "internal engine failure" code and it was no longer able to be driven. I was told they had a recall on earlier models but not the year 2014. I was told it needed a new engine, metallic flakes were found upon investigation at Hyundai. I was told if the car continued to be driven it had a high risk of seizing up during use which would cause an accident. I was told it was recalled then later told that year 2014 had not yet been recalled, but that it was covered under warranty. They have had the vehicle for 2 months now and are stating I need to call the consumer protection Agency and notify them of the situation to encourage a recall.

- Andover, KS, USA

Mar 242016

Car has just over 30,000 miles on it. Started shaking while we were driving it. We took it into the dealership within 15 minutes. The dealership stated that the engine blew and that there was no oil in it. Oil was changed regularly and no oil pressure notification indicated low oil.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Mar 222016

Was on highway North ga when I tried to pass someone and the engine just stopped. Towed it to the dealer where I bought it. The dealerts hip tore the engine down to find metal shavings in the oil pan also scarring on the lifters and valves this is 2014 Sonata with 107,000 miles. I was also made aware that this problem has acured in earlier models. Hyundai is replacing my engine with a new one also have a loaner car while mine is being repaired

- Chamblee, GA, USA

Dec 062015

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 75 mph, the vehicle stalled and smoke emitted from under the hood of the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V568000 (engine) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000. The VIN was not available. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Pearl River, LA, USA

Nov 022015

Car is still operating ok but the engine makes a noticeable metallic clattering noise at all times.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 242015

Approximately 4 pm on August 24, 2015 driving my 2014 Sonata limited with 11450 miles onto the local freeway on ramp, car stalled and total loss of steering occurred. I had just enough time to get the vehicle to side and avoid possible collision from behind. Had absolutely no warning, and was driving normal for the clear road driving. Weather was good, clear and sunny, upper 80F. Traffic was starting to build for rush hour and had this occurred 5 minutes later major collision would have occurred due to traffic congestion on freeway during that time. At the time of occurrence it felt as if I had a flat tire with the front wheels wanting to turn in direction of weaker tire side. Complete and total loss of power both electrical and engine were immediate. I placed shifter in neutral as quickly as possible maintaining some momentum to get car to side of road while trying to restart it. Vehicle started but I did not have any steering control at all. Hyundai bluelink roadside assistant then called and summoned a tow truck to take it to local dealer for warranty service and repair. Service technician has stated that the steering column needs to be replaced. No indication as to what caused the fault to occur and to whether the cause of the fault has been determined.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Aug 042014

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 5 mph, the engine stalled and was able to restart. When entering the key in the ignition, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,200.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Oct 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

At approximately 5pm on October 10th 2014 I pulled out of a parking lot in harrisburg, nc. When the car reached 15 mph it did not shift (the car is equipped with automatic transmission with shiftronic manual controls) and I had to shift the car manually into second gear and each successive gear. After doing so I noticed the car had turned off while driving. I was able to pull off the road with no incident and restart the car. The following day, I noticed clicking under the hood and took it into the dealer. After their examination they determined the engine had a defect. They are replacing the engine.

- Concord, NC, USA