2015 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

2015 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 182016

Sonata

Engine oil consumption: 1 quarter every 1,000 miles and increasing.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 302016

Sonata

On May 30, 2016 at around 9 pm I stopped my 2015 Hyundai Sonata at a traffic light and without warning the engine died. I was almost rear ended when the light changed to green. No warning lights came on until the engine died. After about two minutes I was able to restart the car. I turned left at the intersection where my car had stalled and in the middle of the intersection the engine died again. I thought I was going to die. Exited the car and waved traffic by. Two more minutes and the engine started again and I was able to drive the three remaining blocks to my home. I had the car towed to ourisman Hyundai where I bought it. They have had it ever since. Today, June 6, ourisman called and said they could not duplicate the problem and I should return the loaner car and pick up my Sonata. I will not pick up a Sonata that dies in the middle of driving. I would like to live. I called Hyundai America and reported the issue and they open D a case file. I have left messages with the GM at ourisman and he has not returned my calls. Oh, I forgot to mention that when I bought the car (it was a year old) I told the salesman that I did not want a hertz, avis or any other rental car. He assured me it was not purchased from a car rental company. After over 5 hours at the dealership, I was told it had been from a rental company. I was worn out and thought it still had four years left on the warranty. I feel like a fool. I have asked Hyundai America to buy my car back.

- Columbia, MD, USA

May 282016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle began to lose power and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle began to decrease in speed when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the turbo failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. The VIN was not available.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Apr 252016

Sonata

My 2015 Hyundai Sonata has been back and forth to the dealer. Every time I turn around the this car has a recall. I don't even know about the recall until a light pops up or I have a weird noise while driving. One time the car just felt weird while driving and I went to get it checked out and found out about the recalls. First seatbelt, then engine line needed replacing, then another part needed replacing, then another. After going there Monday for for the engine immobilizer, the brake hold light being I was told something was replaced, and oh a recall was handled. Then to come back Friday and after 4-5 hours be told the ABS has to be replaced, meaning I have to come back because it has to be ordered. Then, after leaving, now the tire pressure light is on, and there appears to be enough air in each tire!! so I don't know what is going on. Note to self, don't by a car before the year it comes out. Bought this 2015 in 2014. I really think the manufacturer needs to notify consumers of these recalls. I shouldn't find out about them only after bringing the car in for an issue or an oil change.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 142016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 60 mph, the oil and check engine lights suddenly illuminated before the engine began to sputter and stall. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who did not yet determine the cause of the failure. No additional information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Winterville, NC, USA

Apr 082016

Sonata

I purchased a used 2015 Hyundai Sonata with 43K miles. I have had it for three months with minor problems such as sluggish acceleration, hard deceleration when removing foot from gas pedal, and a noisy engine. However, on 4-8-2016 at about 7:30 am, I was attempting a left turn on a busy metropolitan street when the 2015 Hyundai Sonata shut down suddenly, completely turned off! all the warning lights on the dash lit up like a christmas tree and then went dead. The 2015 Sonata came to a stop, and there was a truck approaching at a high speed rate that had to swerve around me to prevent a collision with me. I was lucky the driver was paying attention. This problem is very dangerous and it is just a matter of time before someone is killed due to this problem, which seems to be occurring in many 2015 Hyundai Sonata vehicles. I believe Hyundai must know about this and Hyundai probably knows what is causing this safety issue with the 2015 Sonata. Hyundai or NHTSA need to recall the 2015 Hyundai Sonata vehicles asap!! if nothing else tell the owners what the problem is so that they can repair it on their own dime!

- Gardena, CA, USA

Mar 172016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While exiting the vehicle at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be pulled over to the side of the road, but could not be restarted. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine seized and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 4,000.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Feb 102016

Sonata

Engine ceases and all the lights on the dash board flash and stay on and the car stalls. This happened for the 5th time yesterday on rt 78. I almost coursed a collusion because my car lost power and stalled on the highway. I managed to move over to the shoulder as quick I could. After a few minutes later the engine started. This happens both when the car is parked and in motion. This is very dangerous. Have taken the car back to the dealership and they say they fixed the problem but it keeps happening. I have google this problem and found other owners experiencing the same problem. I think the should have a recall for this engine to get it fixed.

- Easton, PA, USA

Jan 312016

Sonata

I purchased a new 2015 Hyundai Sonata 8 mos ago and two days ago while driving on a local highway I heard a loud knocking sound while accelerating. Yesterday I took it to the Hyundai dealer service ctr where I purchased the vehicle and I was told that I need a new engine due to there being metal shavings in the motor.

- Dayton, NJ, USA

Jan 222016

Sonata

While driving and turning onto an intersection the car's engine quietly turned off leaving me in the middle of oncoming traffic. I pressed the gas pedal but no reaction. I had to put the car on park and turn the key off and attempt to restart the car. This worked for now. The car has only 6664 miles on it. I have had the car for only 6 months. No pending maintenance is due for this to have happened. There are also no pending recalls due. So this is obviously a very dangerous situation and common among others on the complaint board.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Dec 292015

Sonata

While driving on a highway, the car unexpectedly lost engine power; the car engine did not respond whenever I quickly stepped on the gas pedal; thereby making any quick defensive maneuver impossible. It's as if the car engine was starved for air and became unresponsive for quick acceleration. Dealership determined error code P2600, intake runner control problem. Due to this problem of impaired acceleration getting, on and off major highways was particularly dangerous since quick power was non-existent and avoiding other cars quickly was not possible. Truly a safety issue!

- Havertown, PA, USA

Dec 102015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate as if the brakes were being applied. The contact was depressing the accelerator pedal with no response. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the diagnostic trouble code tech line needed to be replaced. The failure occurred previously. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Nov 152015

Sonata

I bought a 2015 Hyundai Sonata eco on Aug 30, 2015 and shortly after purchase low tire pressure light and display came on while driving 65 mph indicating that the rear drive wheel was at 9psi. I pulled over on the side of the road and inspected tire and the tire had a normal feel. Drove for 10 mins and tire pressure went back up to 35 psi. On 11/15 the battery and oil light came on while the vehicle was in drive and immediately following the lights the engine shut off. I sat in the middle of the road and had to restart my vehicle and then drove it to the dealership. The dealership says, "2691 performed all system fault code search and tsb search. No fault codes stored at this time and no related tsbs for customer concern as described." The dealership later found a warning saying to reprogram the sensor and reprogrammed the sensor as the "fix". I opened a case with Hyundai and the results of the case was to obtain a print out of the error codes (which is showing none) and to file a complaint with the BBB if I wasn't satisfied with the outcome. I am concerned that my vehicle is not properly recording issues that my vehicle encounters like my engine shutting off. The mechanics at the dealership said that error codes are thrown usually when the sensors go bad. I am concerned for my safety in a vehicle that Hyundai will not fix solely because there are no error codes on file. I believe that the error codes that should be in this report to show the engine shutting off are not being recorded properly. Hyundai will not do anything to investigate my issue unless they see a code so until a code is thrown and recorded properly I am left with a vehicle that is unsafe and is not performing correctly.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 312015

Sonata

I bought this new car a few months ago. At 1089 miles engine overheated while in traffic. I manage to stop safely and I called roadside to tow the car to service. Second day they told me that they need to replace the engine according to Hyundai tech line. This for me was a red flag that something is really wrong with that car. They found coolant inside the engine and this was their diagnosis, jsut like this. The replaced the engine with a remanufactured one and few weeks later I ended up in service again for coolant leaks. They replaced 2 big houses. Not long after this I ended up again in service cause coolant level is low on the overfill compartment. They said is nothing wrong and all the tests are good. So I took the car and a couple of weeks later the same. They told me the same story. Well the car overheated again and again and again till everything started to smell like something melted and some kind of smoke came out from inside the engine when you open the oil cap. The car has been in service for more than 3 weeks with no resolution so far. I reported coolant issues from the beginning but Hyundai refuse to listed and kept saying is nothing wrong. I consider this S huge issues and can cause the car to get on fire or engine to explode. I hope to get this done under lemon law but Hyundai is stubborn and we might end up in court. In the mean time I am paying for the 7 months for a defective problem not to mention the value after all these major issues.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 172015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle accelerated. In addition, the vehicle would not move when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Canton, GA, USA

Sep 192014

Sonata

On August 18, 2015 I was siting at a stop light and my car just shut off, I waited a few seconds and it started back up again, I took it to cocoa Hyundai they ran every test called me and told me that they could not find nothing wrong with my vehicle. On September 21 I was driving home from work my car just died it started jerking and the engine light and skid light came on I waited and it restarted it moved maybe about an inch or so and shut down again, I pulled to the side of the road and let it sit and it restarted I proceed to take it to cocoa Hyundai and told them that this is the (2) second time I have had this problem they kept the car ran every test called the Hyundai tech and they proceeded to inform me that they could not find anything wrong with this car. So I said of I guess this is normal for a 2015 to do this, I am in fear of driving this vehicle because I'm not sure when or where it will shut down. Something is seriously wrong with this vehicle and it is putting my life in danger...

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Sep 052015

Sonata

This Hyundai sonota has a push button ignition. Once the engine is started, a person can leave the vehicle with the key fob in their pocket and the engine stays running and will not shut off. This is in violation of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 114. Once the key is removed from the vehicle the engine should shut off. This engine is so quiet you cannot even hear it running while in the vehicle and if someone is partially color blind you can barely see the red and green indicator. This engine will run in an idle state no matter where the key causing risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisining and death and injury to anyone near this vehicle if left running and since the car stays running once it is started anyone can walk away with the key fob in their pocket and the car stays running no matter what. There are no reminders when exiting the vehicle that the engine is running, there is no automatic shut off in the vehicle, there are no reminders in the vehicle that the engine is running. The push button starts are not only a safety threat but also can be hazard in a parking garage if the engine catches fire due to over heating it can affect all the other vehicles in a parking garage and cause even worse damage.

- Mayfield Heights , OH, USA

Feb 172015

Sonata

At 11:38 am, car suddenly lost power while in middle of intersection, all the symbols on the dashboard lit up, pushing on throttle had absolutely no effect on cars movement. Car would go forward at idle speed only. Received a message on navigation screen and an email saying ?a possible condition with your engine control system has been detected. Hyundai recommends a full system check soon. To schedule an appointment with a Hyundai dealer, say service link when asked to say the name of a service. Pulled to side of road, turned off engine. Restarted engine, only check engine light was on, but acceleration still rough.

- Poway, CA, USA

Jul 202015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Laplata, MD, USA

Jun 222015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle made a very loud sound and stalled. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and had it towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 600.

- Boco Roton, FL, USA