2015 Hyundai Sonata fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

2015 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jun 102016

1st event June 10 2016 - car stopped on the fwy at speed over 65 mph. Stepped on the gas pedal and was no power. Attempt to restart and car run rough. Car towed to dealer (tuttle click-Hyundai -irvine, ca.) 2nd event July 18 2016 - driving on fwy at speeds over 65 mph, gas pedal starts vibrating, driving become rough, clicking noise from engine when idling. File complain with dealer, dealer say it did not find anything, blame the situation to costco gas, and it says that the car requires to use different type of gas (such: Chevron, shell).

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Apr 032016

Driving at 75mph on I-77 northbound near charlotte, (lake norman) when suddenly the engine died. Traffic was heavy but thankfully I was able to coast to a narrow shoulder. Cars were coming within 2 feet of my car so my wife and I exited the vehicle and ran up an embankment to get out of harms way. Police and a tow truck arrived and took the car to lake norman Hyundai where a faulty fuel pump was diagnosed. The repair took two days since the part had to be ordered. The incident was harrowing and could have been tragic for both of us. The car was a little over one year old with just over 15,000 miles. Hyundai motors has been contacted but I get nowhere with the company. I am now concerned about the possibility of this recurring to my vehicle or someone else.

- Hilton, NY, USA

Apr 082016

I purchased a used 2015 Hyundai Sonata with 43K miles. I have had it for three months with minor problems such as sluggish acceleration, hard deceleration when removing foot from gas pedal, and a noisy engine. However, on 4-8-2016 at about 7:30 am, I was attempting a left turn on a busy metropolitan street when the 2015 Hyundai Sonata shut down suddenly, completely turned off! all the warning lights on the dash lit up like a christmas tree and then went dead. The 2015 Sonata came to a stop, and there was a truck approaching at a high speed rate that had to swerve around me to prevent a collision with me. I was lucky the driver was paying attention. This problem is very dangerous and it is just a matter of time before someone is killed due to this problem, which seems to be occurring in many 2015 Hyundai Sonata vehicles. I believe Hyundai must know about this and Hyundai probably knows what is causing this safety issue with the 2015 Sonata. Hyundai or NHTSA need to recall the 2015 Hyundai Sonata vehicles asap!! if nothing else tell the owners what the problem is so that they can repair it on their own dime!

- Gardena, CA, USA

Nov 022015

On 3 separate occassons the vehicle was on a major street when it just died.the first time was comng out of a stop at a red light, the second just when I was driving and the third time whle I was deaccelarating. Miraculalously I was able to use the last bit of momentum and pull over. The car started up again each tme. The dealer had no suggestions the first 2 times except for possble computer misfire.they released the car staitng it should be fine and they could not replcate the event.after starting a case with Hyundai they decided to replace the ignition coils and then the fuel pump. After much questioningand little cooperaion from Hyundai or the dealer, I was told that 1500 people reprted the same life threatenening event onn thier car. Not enough for a recall!!!someone is going to get killed. Neither the dealer or Hyundai thinks this is an number 8479377.I have never received a call from the case engineer from Hyundai explaining any repairs as promised. Hyundai is unresponsive. The service manager is mike dsantis md isalnd Hyundai centeeach NY631 580 0800

- Kings Park, NY, USA

May 102015

Went to pass a tractor. Notice the car was not down shifting. Pushed harder on the pedal and heard a click. After that the car down shifted (I believe this click maybe normal as I notice it on other cars but other mfgs did not have such a violent sounding click. ) the issues is that the pedal got stuck down and I had to use my foot to manually release the pedal from fully down (I reached speeds of around 90 before I could release the pedal from the fully down position).

- Le Center, MN, USA

Apr 032015

Sonata 4-cyl

Sonata comes with a 18.5 gal gas tank. Upon fill up car will only take a maximum of 12 gallons. The supposed "range" of the cars computer show maybe 50 miles when registering near empty. Even so, only 12 gallons can be put into tank. With approximately 6 gallons that have to be still in tank, I should have a range of 180 miles at 30 miles per gallon. Gauge is in need of calibration apparently. Dealer claims to have never heard of this issue even though it happens upon every fill up.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 142015

Brand new car purchased and few issues. 1. gas gauge only goes up to 7/8 even with full tank fill up. 2. gas mileage does not seem to indicate correct mileage. With full tank gas, the indicator shows 450+ miles, but actual mileage is 300~350 miles. 3. error occurs when playing songs from iphone 6 using usb cable.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Feb 042015

Sonata 4-cyl

Since leasing the vehicle on August 1 I constantly complained about the gas mileage which Hyundai indicated would be resolved on the following oil change. The oil change barely effected the mileage efficiency which leads to the second issue when the gas gauge shows below a quarter on the tank the cruise control does not work and is also affected in high mountain areas. When I explained these issues to Hyundai they said they never heard of it and would sent to the company for further review in the meantime I have a car with the gas gauge that does not show exact amounts from fill up to empty makes this car a safety risk that is totally unacceptable not to mention the car is running horrible which suggest other safety features are not working accurately. The dealers look over only suggested other underlying issues exist with this vehicle and is a clear safety hazard.

- Reno, NV, USA