2015 Hyundai Sonata miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

2015 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Dec 192016

Sonata

My vehicle has a little over 16K miles on it and has stalled 4 times. Once after waiting at a light in the city, once while driving approx 10 mph in a parking lot and the worst while trying to climb a steep hill in a rural area as I was leaving home. The car slowly rolled down the hill, I was able to maneuver backwards around the curves but there was no power. I almost got hit by other cars several times due to the blind curves. The car remains on but will not accelerate and it sounds like the engine has stopped. After it stalls, I turn the car off and it will not restart. The last time it turned back on after at least 30 minutes. Have had to have it towed twice. The first time the dealer said it was a loose grounding wire to the fuel pump. The second time they said they could not replicate the problem but replaced the fuel pump. The car is not safe to drive, next time it stalls I might not be so lucky. Researching online there are several other possible causes which I plan on discussing with the dealer. There is no warning before it stalls so I cannot risk taking my children or anyone else in the vehicle.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 212016

Sonata

When the vehicle is parked and you go to start the cat the gearshift is stuck in the park position almost like it's locked there. You have to pump the brake pedal if that doesn't work you need to put the emergency parking brake on then take it off then pump the break the it unlockseems out of the park position this has just start on my Sonata I have an appointment with the auto shop on Wednesday 11/30 the earliest they could see me I wanted to know if they were other Sonata owners with this same problem of if there is a recall. Thank you for you time and I'll be waiting for your response mildred poore

- Clovis, CA, USA

Nov 042015

Sonata

The car has issues with the transmission shifting erratically. There is a very loud chattering coming from the engine. It is getting progressively worse. The panoramic sunroof is constantly creaking whenever driving on uneven pavement. The car has been in the shop for check engine issues since it was three months old all related to the intake manifold and vcm. And the vehicle stalls randomly and does not set off and check engine lights. Dealerships keep saying no issue found. Rotors have warped.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 292016

Sonata

When I bought this car the dealer ship fail to disclose how the blue link remote worked. I paid for the first year $99 and it expire on 7/29.2016 they do not renew it because I have to buy other extra package that I do not need costing me an extra $99 in total it will be $198. I just need the remote control service that is $99 I feel cheat by Hyundai and all my friends with Hyundai vehicles feel the same.

- Hackensack, NJ, USA

Jun 062016

Sonata

On three different occasions the dash flashed "check TPMS" meaning check air in the tires. On all 3 occasions the car would not go into gear.the next occasion the check TPMS came on so I put air in the tires and drove around the corner to reset the tire pressure monitor (computer). Upon coming around the corner to park the car the check TPMS warning came on again the car powered down and I coasted to park. The next morning I called the dealership to have the car checked I was told from jared that the technician did a software update and that " he thinks, maybe, might have fixed the problem. At this point I did not pick up the car because they could not guarantee the car had been fixed and that it will not die while driving around Hyundai service department said they were not sure because they could not duplicate the problem I had with the car. I left the car there contacted hyndai corporate where they opened a case #9327831.. they in turn had a fast team working on my car and they are not sure if the car is fixed or not because they could not duplicate the same problem. The have had my car for a month now still have not been able to find out what the problem is. I was told it does not fall under lemon law unless the car does the same thing again. But I do not know if the car is fixed 100% it only has 12,513 miles on it. Car would not go into drive the gear shift would not move to where I could drive the car.

- Perris, CA, USA

May 312016

Sonata

While traveling on I-65 I accidentally engaged the drivers rear window switch and the window rolled down about half way. All of a sudden a loud whomp, whomp, noise started and the whole car shook and the steering wheel started to vibrate excessively. I really thought the car was about to come apart at 65 mph. It took only a few seconds to realize what had happened, upon rolling the window up stability returned instantly. To test if what had happened was real I purposely let down the rear passenger side window down and the extremely loud noise and instability immediately returned and just as quickly disappeared when I let up the rear window. The A/C was on, whether or not that effected the problem, I don't know. The whole episode scarred me and my wife so bad we are now looking for another car. I am not exaggerating this incident. The whole rear end of the car seemed as if it was being hit from each side independently causing the rear end to shift about a foot from left to right. I will not be keeping this car.

- Seale, AL, USA

May 302016

Sonata

On May 30, 2016 at around 9 pm I stopped my 2015 Hyundai Sonata at a traffic light and without warning the engine died. I was almost rear ended when the light changed to green. No warning lights came on until the engine died. After about two minutes I was able to restart the car. I turned left at the intersection where my car had stalled and in the middle of the intersection the engine died again. I thought I was going to die. Exited the car and waved traffic by. Two more minutes and the engine started again and I was able to drive the three remaining blocks to my home. I had the car towed to ourisman Hyundai where I bought it. They have had it ever since. Today, June 6, ourisman called and said they could not duplicate the problem and I should return the loaner car and pick up my Sonata. I will not pick up a Sonata that dies in the middle of driving. I would like to live. I called Hyundai America and reported the issue and they open D a case file. I have left messages with the GM at ourisman and he has not returned my calls. Oh, I forgot to mention that when I bought the car (it was a year old) I told the salesman that I did not want a hertz, avis or any other rental car. He assured me it was not purchased from a car rental company. After over 5 hours at the dealership, I was told it had been from a rental company. I was worn out and thought it still had four years left on the warranty. I feel like a fool. I have asked Hyundai America to buy my car back.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Mar 142016

Sonata

My dashboard monitor says repair on off and then I see a wrench. This signal/warning stays on whether I am stationary or in motion. What does this mean?

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Feb 252016

Sonata

I was parking my 2015 Hyundai Sonata turbo sport in a strip mall parking lot. I pulled into the space and, before getting in all the way, the car suddenly accelerated to a high speed, jumped the concrete curb and slammed into a concrete wall. The air bag did not deploy and my chest hit the steering wheel and my head whipped back so I now have headaches, neck and back pain.the front bumper was damaged with marks from the concrete and though it remained on the car, it was dislodged. There was also some damage around the front headlights and the rubber part of the undercarriage.

- Chevy Chase, MD, USA

Sep 252015

Sonata

I was admitted into the hospital, where I had surgery and was told I had a hemorrhagic stroke. October 2015, I had 2 more strokes and surgeries. I never had a history of strokes, and was wondering could this be a part of an environmental issue with the chemical exposure from the new vehicle? any useful information would be greatly appreciate.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Nov 022015

Sonata

On 3 separate occassons the vehicle was on a major street when it just died.the first time was comng out of a stop at a red light, the second just when I was driving and the third time whle I was deaccelarating. Miraculalously I was able to use the last bit of momentum and pull over. The car started up again each tme. The dealer had no suggestions the first 2 times except for possble computer misfire.they released the car staitng it should be fine and they could not replcate the event.after starting a case with Hyundai they decided to replace the ignition coils and then the fuel pump. After much questioningand little cooperaion from Hyundai or the dealer, I was told that 1500 people reprted the same life threatenening event onn thier car. Not enough for a recall!!!someone is going to get killed. Neither the dealer or Hyundai thinks this is an issue.case number 8479377.I have never received a call from the case engineer from Hyundai explaining any repairs as promised. Hyundai is unresponsive. The service manager is mike dsantis md isalnd Hyundai centeeach NY631 580 0800

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Jun 172015

Sonata

I am writing in regards to my new 2015 Hyundai Sonata eco that I purchased in May 2015 from mccarthy Hyundai automotive in olathe, Kansas. Shortly after bringing it home, I noticed that each time the car was started on a cold start, it would hesitate and pause upon acceleration when I would take off. After the car warmed up, it was much better but still would pause and hesitate sometimes when I was needing to accelerate quickly. I took the car 4 separate times to mccarthy Hyundai service dept. In olathe. Each time, they would only say that the car is ┐operating as designed┐ and that this is one of the characteristics of the new eco's since they have the dual clutch transmission. We drove 4 other eco's and experienced the same problem. However, they did admit that it seemed abnormal and possibly a patch/update will come out in the future to correct the problem. Unfortunately, this could take many years or not at all. There is no way of knowing. One of the times that the car was at their service center, they did find a faulty fuel pump and replaced it. This alone did not take care of the issue that I am experiencing with the car. My main concern at this point is the safety issue. I do not know when the car will or won┐T hesitate and pause upon acceleration. I live in a metropolitan area and drive in a lot of traffic. There are many times that I need to be able to merge into traffic and many other reasons when I must depend on my car accelerating like a normal car does. It does not. If there is any way that you can help or look into this issue with the 2015 Hyundai Sonata eco's, I would greatly appreciate it. It could save lives.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Mar 312015

Sonata

I bought this new car a few months ago. At 1089 miles engine overheated while in traffic. I manage to stop safely and I called roadside to tow the car to service. Second day they told me that they need to replace the engine according to Hyundai tech line. This for me was a red flag that something is really wrong with that car. They found coolant inside the engine and this was their diagnosis, jsut like this. The replaced the engine with a remanufactured one and few weeks later I ended up in service again for coolant leaks. They replaced 2 big houses. Not long after this I ended up again in service cause coolant level is low on the overfill compartment. They said is nothing wrong and all the tests are good. So I took the car and a couple of weeks later the same. They told me the same story. Well the car overheated again and again and again till everything started to smell like something melted and some kind of smoke came out from inside the engine when you open the oil cap. The car has been in service for more than 3 weeks with no resolution so far. I reported coolant issues from the beginning but Hyundai refuse to listed and kept saying is nothing wrong. I consider this S huge issues and can cause the car to get on fire or engine to explode. I hope to get this done under lemon law but Hyundai is stubborn and we might end up in court. In the mean time I am paying for the 7 months for a defective problem not to mention the value after all these major issues.

- San Antonio, TX, USA