2015 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

2015 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jan 012015

Sonata 4-cyl

There are many problems with this car, steering is #1 at low speed is makes a popping noise, at speed is has dead spots, entire steering assembly could be moved. The transmission is rough and feels like it is hunting and stumbling between 1/2,2/3 shifts, downshifts 1 or 2 ranges at the slightest hill. Back up camera comes on and then goes black in the middle of backing up. Brakes feel like they are slipping if you are braking at low speed on a hill, as in parking. I have taken it back to the dealer 3 or 4 times, they are unable to fix the problems, though they did manage to fix the moving steering assembly the 2nd visit wile denying they did any work. I have attempted to get Hyundai to buy this car back under the lemon law but they say nothing is wrong or it is not severe enough...I feel like I have to take a huge loss to trade it in on a dependable car or wait till something fails completely (hopefully not the steering) before they will listen to me.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 162016

Sonata

I was backing out of the parking space and the car lost the ability to steer. I had to call a tow truck. I was able to pull forward into the parking space and wait for the tow truck. The car is new, I only have 1,032 miles on the vehicle. This was on a Saturday, and I have no explanation as of right now from the service department as to why this happened.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required to steer the vehicle. The power steering warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that water splashed into the wiring system. The wiring system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V325000 (electrical system, steering). The failure mileage was approximately 26,000.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Jun 082016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 30 mph uphill, the steering column vibrated. The vibration intensified as the vehicle's speed increased. The dealer diagnosed that the vehicle was performing as designed. The failure occurred for approximately six months. The manufacturer sent a regional service supervisor to diagnose the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 2,500.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Sep 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, all of the warning indicators illuminated as the steering wheel seized and the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 2,000. Updated 04/19/16

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Feb 152016

Sonata

2015 Hyundai Sonata SE - engine vibrations/rattles/droning when in overdrive at low RPM acceleration. At times the engine has been unresponsive. Was told by Hyundai it was normal, but did not start until the car had around 600 miles - now at 7400 miles, still doing it and sounds horrid. Also, popping sound from steering/brakes when backing up and turning/using brakes at only 1200 miles. That was fixed by dealer, said I had overheated the brakes, which wasn't true, only drove on freeway and wasn't using the brakes.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering wheel on this car will lock or get stuck as I am operating the vehicle. It has happened at slow speeds as well as highway speeds and even happened in reverse once. It is intermittent and random but the frequency is increasing. On my first dealer visit 12/10/15 there was a code for the electronic steering which the dealer cleared and returned the car to me without making any repairs. The problem continued so the car was taken to a 2nd dealer who found a code pertaining to ECM overheating. Hyundai advised the dealer to clear the code and return the car to me. I filed a complaint with Hyundai customer care on 12/16/15 and received an acknowledgment email that a representative would contact me in 3-5 days. On 12/21 I contacted Hyundai customer care, explained the car wasnt safe to drive so what should I do. I was told Hyundai would not offer a loaner car but I could ask my dealer if they would provide one at their cost. I asked about a representative contacting me and I was told it hasnt been 5 days yet so I needed to be patient. As of 12/30/15 I still have not received a response from Hyundai customer care.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Dec 122015

Sonata

In the snow, my Hyundai Sonata will drive fine until turning. During turning, even with minimal snow, my brakes lock up and my car slides slowly but at that point I am unable to do anything, usually making me hit a curb. This has happened twice in the last two weeks costing me $2200. I have had two cars before my Hyundai Sonata and haven't had issues with such a problem. The mechanic scratches his head in confusion as to how almost the exact same thing happen in such a small time frame. It is a major safety issue, I believe something with traction control or braking is wrong. Had I been a worse driver the damages could be worse.

- Lone Tree, CO, USA

Jan 062015

Sonata

Power steering motor failed. Luckily, it failed sometime between when I last drove it and when I attempted to drive it the next day. The steering was extremely difficult to manage, due to the failed motor.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jan 162015

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my Hyundai Sonata on 1/05/2015 with only 6 miles from sheehy Hyundai of waldor in Maryland after 11 days of purchase on January 16 2015 at approximately 5:45 pm (rush hour in the DC metro area) my Sonata came to an abrupt stop without any warning signs on the highway in middle lane which is very dangerous and very scary and put me in a very vulnerable position. The engine shut off, I was unable to steer out the way of traffic and the brakes locked up and I was unable to do anything while in the middle of the rush hour traffic. I was a sitting duck waiting to get smashed by a pickup truck directly in the back of me.thank my god nothing happened. I was unable to use the sos and bluelink emergency features that is equipped came with 3 months free activation in this vehicle. I had to personally call via my cell phone and await police assistance which was 10 minutes still in the middle of the highway and after the assistance of the police we were only then able to push the vehicle to the shoulder of the highway. The bluelink customer service did very poorly in responding after all this emergency situation and to make it worse they did not provide a tow until 1.45 minutes after, then commence to justify this long period by stating its "Friday and the normal time is 2 hours or more". therefore, I am pleading to sheehy dealership and Hyundai corporation along with anyone else that can assist me to ensure that I have a new replacement vehicle. I am getting nowhere with sheehy dealership in reference to a new replacement vehicle. The vehicle is currently at sheehy service department and they are still not able to figure out the problem. Even though they might be able to fix the vehicle I will not feel safe driving the same vehicle after this very hazardous incident.

- La Plata, MD, USA