2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Owner Comments

May 242016

Sonata Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. While driving approximately 75 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact had to coast the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The repair would not be covered under warranty or per a recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 07/27/16 the consumer stated metal shvings were found in the engine. Updated 08/01/16.

- Haughton, LA, USA

May 232016

Sonata Hybrid

I was driving my 2011 Sonata hybrid down a interstate at 75 miles an hour when it stopped accelerating/working. I had my 3 year old daughter in the car with me at the time. I had to swerve to avoid an accident and was able to find a safe spot to park. I waited for 1/5 hours for a tow truck to come. After dropping my car off with the Hyundai dealership I was told my engine seized and I would need a new one for $9,000. This is completely ridiculous. My care has $75,000 and I am the second owner. The recall right now does not include hybrid/Korean made models of the 2011 sonata, so Hyundai states they will not pay for any repairs. I am perusing legal action in the hopes to have this problem identified. My daughter and I could have been killed, and many other owners are at risk.

- Haughton, LA, USA

Jan 282016

Sonata Hybrid

Drove down the road to the store and turned off the car and when I came out to turn the car on and go home the car would not start, the issues that were happening were, the light would flicker on and off, the brake pedal was pumping in and out under my foot on its own, and the car would not start, after trying a few times the whole car and system shut down completely and the hazards started to come on automatically and there was no power to the automatic door locks and window and the only things working in the car was the anit-theft system

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 062015

Sonata Hybrid

We were driving on I81N in Virginia when it sounded like we were driving over gravel.I thought it could have been a tire. Found tires were ok. Waited to pull out safely. Seconds after we entered I81N, we began to lose power, A/C and a warning light indicating to check hybrid system came on in message board. We pulled off at exit 277N and had enough power to find a safe place to pull over.I discovered that the serpentine belt was shredded. We were towed to a Hyundai dealer where the car sat overnight on 9/6/15 until service opened on 9/8/15. The serpentine belt was replaced as well as the water pump belt which was also damaged. The mechanic informed me the new belt was not running true on the tensioner and a ridge had formed on the outside surface of the tensioner. My opinion is that the part was defective because the belt was not running true.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Aug 152015

Sonata Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. While driving at 35 mph, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,500.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Jun 052015

Sonata Hybrid

I was driving on the highway on my way to work when my sonata started making a strange noise. I pulled over to the side of the highway, turned off the car, and tried to restart it. It would not restart and the temperature gauge went up. There was no indication that there was an issue with the car (warning lights or other noises) prior to this incident. I was stuck on the side of a busy highway for 1.5 hours waiting for a tow to the dealer. The engine seized and needs to be replaced. Now Hyundai isn't honoring their warranty and saying its neglect, getting a second opinion.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

May 312012

Sonata Hybrid

I have had this 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid in the shop since I purchased it in 2011 new the car has serious car hesitation and gas mileage is 19 to 30 per gallon. I have had numerous problems with oil leaks and ended up with a blown motor at 60,000 miles. I also have numerous service issues with the blower ac/ heater not working as well. The car is a lemon after 30 visits to dealership for repeated problems. I have taken car to 4 different dealerships to have a new set of eyes fix the problems and stuck with a rebuilt motor in May 2015. Car is back in the shop for hesitate and ecs problems as of June 2015. Need help.

- Midlothian, IL, USA

Jul 102014

Sonata Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, he attempted to brake and all the warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled and could be restarted. The failure recurred on fifty occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission, the electric motor, and the oil pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Apr 132014

Sonata Hybrid

The car suddenly started chiming loudly, the check engine light lit up, a second light lit on the dash and a warning message that said to check the charging system appeared on the console. The car became near impossible to operate: Limited acceleration, jerked repeatedly trying to stop in a safe location, lost power to ac system....dangerous situation if other traffic had been nearby. The car is now inoperable as we wait for a tow to take it to the nearest dealer.

- S. Charleston, OH, USA