2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Owner Comments

Aug 112015

Sonata Hybrid

I bought this 2013 hybrid new about 6 months ago. There are 2 main issues I have had with the car. First: The problem is the car sometimes goes about 3 mph for approximately 25 feet before lurching with great acceleration. I drove with the 'energy flow' mode on the display to see what was showing when this problem was occurring. According to the owner's manual the display was showing the "engine generation/motor drive" (to decelerate the vehicle, engine braking is used while the regenerative braking is applied and also charges the hybrid battery. [engine>battery>wheel]). this sounds like a deceleration mode, but should this be happening when my foot is pressing the gas pedal? it has occurred when I have slowed to make a left turn and also when accelerating from a dead stop. It happens when I am applying steady pressure or pumping the pedal. This can be a huge potential problem/accident waiting to happen if I am attempting to turn or cross a road with oncoming traffic because I may not be moving fast enough to cross before the traffic gets to me. Even if they were over a hundred feet away when I started the turn/to cross the intersection. Second: As has been previously mentioned by others, there is a 'thump' felt at times while braking. It is felt in the driver's seat and through the brake pedal and also felt by the passenger's through their seats. The best way to describe it would be the feeling of being rear-ended and pushed forward several inches. As driver, my head is usually an inch or two away from the head rest and when this happens my head hits the headrest or the headrest hits my head. The brake pedal itself is not affected, as there is no feeling of losing the brake/not slowing down. It's just a 'thump' felt.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Apr 252014

Sonata Hybrid

Day after purchase, beeps and notification to pull over and check charging system. Had car towed one week later car was returned to us. Dealer installed a new battery. Running fine except brakes make a noise when depressed quickly. March 28th, 11 months later coming home from Florida, driving on interstate 95 late at night in stop & go traffic, beeps and notification to pull over and check charging system. Pulled car over shut off. Restarted car and continued driving. Check engine light stayed on for 24 hrs. Returned to dealer that week could find nothing wrong with charging system. And could not duplicate braking sound at dealership, but still making noise sporatically. May 15th, late on a Saturday night, stopped to make left hand turn, I started to accelerate, half way into the turn, car would not accelerate, bells and notification to check charging system. With traffic coming towards me, I had to shut down engine and restart again. If oncoming traffic was slightly faster I would have been hit. Check engine light stayed on overnight but went off the next day. Returning to dealer this week. Don't expect any positive results as last time they said they cannot find anything wrong. I loved my car, however driving it now makes me very nervous!

- Cape May, NJ, USA

Jan 312014

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake pedal makes a noise when you depress the pedal. At times the pedal sticks momentarily then the brakes will grab, as if I slammed on the brakes. The issue was looked at by the dealership who verified the, squeak, duck sound coming from the pedal area but they were not able to determine the cause. This issue was bumped up to Hyundai corporate engineers who have not "found" a solution. The sound is consistent and the sudden brake grab occurs intermittently.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 012014

Sonata Hybrid

I took my Sonata hybrid in for service. I told the service manager that every morning I get into the car and I apply the brakes when starting, the brakes make a noise. It almost sounds like an old rusty spring that someone in trying to push down and it squeaks. It does not make this noise when the car has been driven. Only when its cold or just being started. The techs were unable to find anything but told me to keep an eye on it and if any recalls came in then they might be able to fix the problem. It has been doing this for a long time. Not getting any worse and not getting better by itself. It just should not be doing this on a new car, period.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 042014

Sonata Hybrid

Dear. I have not got an incident, but the brake has a problem. When I put on the brakes, it sounds strange. I visited the dear shop and then they cannot find the reason. The service center inquires a Hyundai headquarter about the reason. They called me that it is no problem for safety and are fining the reason. However, I am so afraid of driving even the safety is fine. This is the brake problem. I just let you know this problem. Please figure out this problem.

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Dec 282013

Sonata Hybrid

I was parking the car (after turning around and reversing) and as I applied the brakes to ease into the parking spot the brakes and car just stopped functioning. I depressed the brakes further and absolutely no response. The car moved forward at a slow speed and went up the curb, toppled a small tree and knocked a parking kiosk over on the sidewalk. Fortunately it was 8:10 am so nobody was walking on the sidewalk. Airbags did not deploy. Some damage from the metal kiosk and tie rod broken from curb. Very disconcerting that I lost complete brake power. Could do nothing as the car just continued to move forward until an object caused it to stop. No confidence in the car.....

- Haddonfield, NJ, USA