5.5

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Owner Comments

Jan 132016

Sonata Hybrid

Car stopped in the middle of local street road and not able to be driven to move to side of road. Car towed to delaer for repair. Want to warn about this danger to other owners. We were lucky since no one was behind us when the car immediately stopped in the middle of the road. Car was repaired by delaer as follows. Tech scan codes and found codes U1007, P1775, P1774. Tech check A/T fluid, red color, smell normal. Reset codes, codes come back. Tsb provided by tech line. Tech follow tsb#14-hc-003, result to replace oil pump control unit and recheck. After replacing oil pump control unit, same problem present. Tech replace oil pump, and found open yellow wire from oil pump unit to oil pump. Car runs normal and no codes present at this time. Tech try to put the old oil pump and pump module back in, problem happened again. Tech confirm the pump and module are bad. New oil pump and module reinstalled. Car under warranty and repair was successful. Delaer did a good job keeping me informed on the progress, even though it took longer than expected to repair the car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 212015

Sonata Hybrid

As I started to slow down from 75mph the car started to beep and the ready light was flashing. Many indicator lights came on to include the battery indicator light, and the amber box with a wrench in it. It said "check hybrid charging system" and "safely pull over" as the car slowed down the car would no longer go forward, the lights dimmed and would no longer accelerate.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 012015

Sonata Hybrid

I have a push button vehicle. I was at home and I attempted to start the vehicle (push the button and press down on the brakes), the car would not start. There was no "ready" button. Multiple unsuccessful attempts. The car appeared to be in standby mode. There was no additional "signal code" or alarm button that appeared on the standard dash board. After 1 hour, the car did not start and was taken to service at thornton road Hyundai. Initially, the car did not start upon arrival to the dealership, however after 10 minutes (without any intervention), the car did not start. The vehicle stayed at the dealer until 5/7/15, where the dealership could not duplicate the complaint/problem.

Aug 182015

Sonata Hybrid

I have a push button vehicle. I was at home and I attempted to start the vehicle (push the button and press down on the brakes), the car would not start. There was no "ready" button. Multiple unsuccessful attempts over 30 minutes. The car appeared to be in standby mode. There was no additional "signal code" or alarm button that appeared on the standard dash board. After 45 minutes, the car started without any intervention.

Aug 252015

Sonata Hybrid

I have a push button vehicle. When I attempted to start the vehicle (push the button and press down on the brakes), the car would not start. There was no "ready" button. The car appeared to be in standby mode. There was no additional "signal code" or alarm button that appeared on the standard dash board. Had to call road side assistance to tow to the dealership. Initial wait time for the vehicle not starting was over 1 hour.

Dec 012014

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

Rear taillight assemblies X 4 {left and right trunk hood assemblies and the outer turn signal/brakelight assemblies) have pooling of water and condensation/debris buildup inside the lens covers. Also noticed condensation and liquid buildup within the license plate illumination lenses. Very concerning as these are electrical components that are contained near the high-voltage lithium battery contained within the trunk space.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Feb 212014

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

First repair done at the dealership on 2/21/14 for drivers door lock not working the car had 707 miles on it. I was given a rental car from enterprise for the duration of the repair. The repair took one day which they repaired the "left front door lock actuator latch assembly". I received a phone call stating my car was ready at 5pm, but as I did not want to drive in rush hour traffic I picked the car up the next day. Second repair for the same problem was on 6/18/2014 and the car now had 5,117 miles on it. I was given a genesis to drive while my car was being taken care of. I was phoned twice that day to say they were still looking into my car and they would get back to me. At 6pm that day they said they were still working on it. This service invoice now says the following "found loose terminal at door latch lock/unlock pin. Tweaked (?) door latch connector terminals and reassembled door locks. Doors working normally." I picked my car up on 6/20/2014. On 6/28/2014 at work with the car now showing 5406 miles on the clock it has happened again. I have phoned the same dealership and informed them I will be there Monday (6/30/14) when they open at 7am to have this car repaired again. They have now had the car for two days and I have not heard anything back from them. I am now suing Hyundai.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Sep 122013

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

Engine shut off and battery only lets you go 1/4 mile pulled into parking lot turned car off waited 5 minutes and car started back up. Took car to dealer but could not find anything wrong told me to drive it. It happened again in April they had car for 7 days but could not find anything. Told me to drive it. It started again on june17th they say there is nothing wrong.

- Beverly, NJ, USA

Dec 272013

Sonata Hybrid

27 Dec 2013: Hybrid battery drained without any warning and car could not be accelerated more than 20 miles/hr while driving. Eventually the car stopped on the road. Dashboard showed "park safely and do not drive" with loud beeping warning sound. Turned off and restarted the car, the engine wouldn't charge the battery. After towing to the service, the car started as normal; the tech could not duplicate the problem so nothing was done. 16 Jan 2014: The same problem happened while driving. After I parked the car on the side of the road, the hybrid battery started to recharge to a quarter strength on the dashboard; started to drive again and car jerked twice without being able to accelerate more than 30 miles/hr and eventually had to stop the car on the side of the road. The engine would not start again and same warning on my dash. After being towed to the dealer again, the tech could not duplicate the case; suspected the computer system problem and changed bms control module.4 Feb 2014: Similar situation. Hybrid battery would not charge more than 1-quarter and the car would not accelerate more than 35 M/hr obtained a case number from Hyundai and identified a possible problem of the hybrid battery by the engineer. New hybrid battery was installed.14 Feb 2014: Started the car, the main screen showed discharge warning for a few seconds then the car runs normal. Turned off the car and tried to restart, the engine wouldn't start. After a couple hours, the car seems to running normal.the problem: Hyundai seems to give us an answer ┐┐we cannot duplicate the problem, therefore keep driving it until it happens again. This is a lemon and Hyundai needs to accept it and negotiate with us to make things right. I do want to say that the local dealership should be commended on their service, its the management above them that needs to get things done.

- Hampton Cove, AL, USA

Oct 192013

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

When stopping at a red light or a stop sign or going up a slight driveway there is a loss of power when you apply the gas for a few seconds, and then the car surges. We were stopped behind a car and when we went to drive around them the car would only go approx 1 mph with the gas pedal flat on the floor, then the car surges. Then at other times there are no problems. The dealership is trying to tell me we are driving with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. I do not use my left foot for the brake. I tried taking the car out of blue mode but still had the problem.

- Largo, FL, USA