9.1

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Owner Comments

Aug 112015

Sonata Hybrid

I bought this 2013 hybrid new about 6 months ago. There are 2 main issues I have had with the car. First: The problem is the car sometimes goes about 3 mph for approximately 25 feet before lurching with great acceleration. I drove with the 'energy flow' mode on the display to see what was showing when this problem was occurring. According to the owner's manual the display was showing the "engine generation/motor drive" (to decelerate the vehicle, engine braking is used while the regenerative braking is applied and also charges the hybrid battery. [engine>battery>wheel]). this sounds like a deceleration mode, but should this be happening when my foot is pressing the gas pedal? it has occurred when I have slowed to make a left turn and also when accelerating from a dead stop. It happens when I am applying steady pressure or pumping the pedal. This can be a huge potential problem/accident waiting to happen if I am attempting to turn or cross a road with oncoming traffic because I may not be moving fast enough to cross before the traffic gets to me. Even if they were over a hundred feet away when I started the turn/to cross the intersection. Second: As has been previously mentioned by others, there is a 'thump' felt at times while braking. It is felt in the driver's seat and through the brake pedal and also felt by the passenger's through their seats. The best way to describe it would be the feeling of being rear-ended and pushed forward several inches. As driver, my head is usually an inch or two away from the head rest and when this happens my head hits the headrest or the headrest hits my head. The brake pedal itself is not affected, as there is no feeling of losing the brake/not slowing down. It's just a 'thump' felt.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Apr 252014

Sonata Hybrid

Day after purchase, beeps and notification to pull over and check charging system. Had car towed one week later car was returned to us. Dealer installed a new battery. Running fine except brakes make a noise when depressed quickly. March 28th, 11 months later coming home from Florida, driving on interstate 95 late at night in stop & go traffic, beeps and notification to pull over and check charging system. Pulled car over shut off. Restarted car and continued driving. Check engine light stayed on for 24 hrs. Returned to dealer that week could find nothing wrong with charging system. And could not duplicate braking sound at dealership, but still making noise sporatically. May 15th, late on a Saturday night, stopped to make left hand turn, I started to accelerate, half way into the turn, car would not accelerate, bells and notification to check charging system. With traffic coming towards me, I had to shut down engine and restart again. If oncoming traffic was slightly faster I would have been hit. Check engine light stayed on overnight but went off the next day. Returning to dealer this week. Don't expect any positive results as last time they said they cannot find anything wrong. I loved my car, however driving it now makes me very nervous!

- Cape May, NJ, USA

Oct 192013

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

When stopping at a red light or a stop sign or going up a slight driveway there is a loss of power when you apply the gas for a few seconds, and then the car surges. We were stopped behind a car and when we went to drive around them the car would only go approx 1 mph with the gas pedal flat on the floor, then the car surges. Then at other times there are no problems. The dealership is trying to tell me we are driving with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. I do not use my left foot for the brake. I tried taking the car out of blue mode but still had the problem.

- Largo, FL, USA