2003 Hyundai Tiburon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon:

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Owner Comments

Jan 212004

Tiburon 6-cyl

Vehicle equipt with low profile sports tires. While driving on SR2 in jeruselum township Ohio I lost control of the vehicle and began skidding on black ice. Anti-lock brakes did not engage to my knowledge and $9000 damage was done to the vehicle. Rear axle failed during the impact into an embankment which absorbed much of the impact. Side airbag deployed as designed but front did not. I am assuming that this is due to me sliding backwards up the embankment without any direct frontal impact. I walked away from it but am concerned about the fact that Hyundai has marketed this car towards the younger "invinvible" generation who do not realize these tires aren't made for fast driving in bad weather. I am also concerned about why the antilock brakes did not engage. The car is at brown automotive and is still awaiting repair. I have informed the insurance company about the brakes and will follow up with this report when I get word.

- Oregon, OH, USA