2003 Hyundai Tiburon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon:

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Owner Comments

Jan 072009

Tiburon

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. While driving approximately 45 mph on normal road conditions, the contact smelled a strong burning odor inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle. In addition, the entire electrical system failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and they stated that the failure was related to the body control module (BCM). The technician stated that the wiring harness melted and caused circuit shortage, which resulted in a small electrical fire. The vehicle is currently inoperative and has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 114,000.

- Carl Junction, MO, USA

Jan 082009

Tiburon

Hello, I'm 26yrs old. I own a 2003 Tiburon GT V6 6speed with less than 80,000 miles. I bought it off of the original owner with only 9,000 miles. Within the 70,000 miles I've driven it, it's had three clutches.? I've owned all manual driven cars since I was 16, I learned how to drive with one. We all know I burned that clutch up a little bit yet I still didn't burn that clutch out. The first clutch I had to replace I paid for the parts. Hyundai took care of the labor which was nice but, I still had to pay for a part that I wasn't at fault for ruining. Now I'm on my third clutch, I had to pay for this one in full because I'm the second owner and Hyundai only covers 60,000 miles. As of 01\06\09 this one is no longer working. There has to be a manufactures defect of some kind. Whether it is the hydraulic lines pumping too much or not enough fluid, the reverse dual mass clutch, or it being the first year they made the car, and this was one of the problems Hyundai had to take care of. I need help please. I've read more reviews on "2003" Tiburon's than I can handle to read, and at least 90% said they had clutch problems. I started looking for a solution and the only thing I could find was Consumer Affairs #, E-mail, and a few other #'s. I called the Consumer Affairs #, and now they told me they canżT help go figure. Their reason was it being to far out of warranty although it was at only 31,000 miles. Now at 77,000 it goes again, what a coincidence. This disaster of a car has cost me around $4,000 and has also put a halt on my life. I had a Jeep payment that I had to surrender back to the bank because I could no longer pay for repairs on the Tiburon and my Jeep. IżM writing this in hope that there is some kind of good will, recall, ect. To help reimburse my loses. Thank you in advance

- Marianna, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Tiburon

I recently purchased a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 in April of 2008. The car looked like it was in great condition and did not have any mechanical problems. I was driving down the road one day when I put on my turn signal to change lanes. After I had changed lanes I noticed that my turn signal was permanantly on. Upon encountering this problem I took my car to bob king Hyundai in winston-salem. They told me that it was internal problems with the BCM and that it would cost $1100 just for the part, plus labor. Upon finding out this totally absurd problem, I went onto the internet to find other ways to fix. My discoveries were amazing. It seems that every person that has a 2003-05 Hyundai Tiburon has had the same problem when the cars have reached 100,000 miles or more. This problem leaves you with out turn signals and driving lights. It can also spread and effect other areas of the car, like not letting the windows roll down, cause the keyless entry to malfunctions, and cuts off you hud lights as well. I believe that this is a serious problem and needs to be handle by the Hyundai motors co.

- Mt. Airy, NC, USA

Dec 072007

Tiburon 6-cyl

Hazard lights, signal lights, airbag lights, powers windows and clutch.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Jul 252007

Tiburon 4-cyl

Numerous electrical problems with this car from the beginning. Within the first year of ownership, had to replace the window motor for the passenger side window. At less than 4 years of ownership, have replaced the battery twice, due to interior and dashboard lights that stay on and drain the battery. At about 60,000 miles, the left blinker came on continuously and stayed on, draining the car's battery. I had to disable the turn signals entirely, and now have to signal with my arm out the window. It will be over $1,000 to replace the body control module to fix the problem with the turn signal. The motor for the passenger side window is also broken again. If the motor for the driver side window goes, I will be unable to signal turns.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Nov 112005

Tiburon 6-cyl

About 4 minutes after driving off on a cold morning (40 F), I was merging onto a highway, when suddenly all of the electricity shut off on my car. I began to move over to the shoulder of the road and down shifted to slow down. I pressed the emergency flashers, but got nothing. I could not totally get out of the lane because a guard rail limited it to a small shoulder. I could see headlights in my rear view swerving at the last second to miss me because they couldn't see me. My only thought was grab a flashlight out of the glove box and try to escape the car and to try to warn oncoming vehicles. But then suddenly, all the lights and radio came back on. So I quickly started the engine and drove off. The total time that elapsed from loss of electricity to it coming back on was maybe a minute, but it felt like forever. I drove to work with no problems, and after work, I got it to the dealership with no problems either. The dealership claimed they could not duplicate the problem and gave the car back. Now I'm scared to drive this car.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 132005

Tiburon 4-cyl

When using the A/C fan control on setting 3 or 4 for more than 10 min., the plastic connection at the back of the unit starts melting. My temporary solution is to run the A/C on 1 and 2 only. This is a possible fire hazard. Hyundai refuses to acknowledge this as a problem. The replacement cost is $605 cad for the same unit that will do the same thing after a little use. This is not a valid solution to the problem.

- Embrun, 00, USA

Apr 292003

Tiburon

Consumer complained about electrical problems which included the power windows, and the driver seat belt buckle wiring. Consumer received a recall notice on this matter, however, dealer refused to accommodate the consumer. The air bad failed during a crash and the sun roof malfunctioned.

- The Plains, VA, USA

Feb 102003

Tiburon 6-cyl

Sunroof has been in approx. 8 times to two different dealers and has still not been fixed.

- Boys Town, NE, USA

Sep 272002

Tiburon

Consumer states his daughter had an head on impact with another auto and her air bags did not deploy. Driver was traveling approx 35 mph. Driver was injuried, she hurt her head and neck. Nlm

- Carver, MA, USA