2003 Hyundai Tiburon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon:

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 262012

Tiburon

- the clutch is slipping - the motor for the passenger door window has failed and the driver side is failing. - the driver side interior door handle does not work, and the locking mechanism is failing.

- Newburgh, NY, USA

Jan 022012

Tiburon 6-cyl

Currently my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT has my left turn signal lights on. The front and the back one stay on no matter what, even if I turn the car off and take the keys out. I have been researching this problem, and it looks like it is a well known problem with these cars, so my question is... why isn't there a recall on it" especially since the part is so expensive!! I don't know if other people have had this problem but whenever my turn signal started to act up so did my sunroof. Now that my turn signal is constantly on, my sunroof won't work at all! are they related" I work for a car dealership and they can't even find me the part (which is a body control module) any cheaper! I guess now we all know why Hyundai stopped making the Tiburon, which is sad due to it being such a nice car, and I love my Tiburon it was my reality dream car! when you do finally recall this item, if we already had it fixed, would you reimburse us for it" especially if we have the receipt for it"

- Norristown, PA, USA

Feb 132012

Tiburon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. The contact was driving 35 mph and engaged the turn signal in order to make a turn. After the turn was completed, the turn signal would not disengage. The contact stated that the turn signals remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was diagnosed as the BCM module needing to be replaced. The contact no longer felt safe driving the vehicle due to not having turn signals or hazard lights. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 58,987 and the current mileage was 59,908. Updated 04/11/12 the consumer stated she was unable to turn off the signal lights, which caused the battery to to down. Both front and rear lights stayed on, even when the ignition was turned off. Updated 04/23/12

- Louis, KY, USA

Sep 302011

Tiburon 6-cyl

I own a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT and I have been having issues with my left turn signal. When making a left turn upon completion the blinker stops blinking, but the light stays on. Sometimes by turning on the left turn signal 2 or 3 times it goes off...and sometimes it doesn't. sometimes it comes on all by itself just sitting in the driveway, with the car turned off. I have even unhooked the battery cable to keep from draining the battery. Took car to the Hyundai dealership to get a diagnosis done. They told me the BCM is shot and needs to be replaced for $703.56 plus $120 for labor. This seems to be a major problem for several other owners too. I have a questions to ask....if so many of us Tiburon owners are having the same issues then why is there not a recall for us...oh yeah $703.56 part + $120 labor = no recall for us. Hello NHTSA or Hyundai can you say recall!!!!!! do people have to get injured or killed, or our vehicles totaled before something is done. We have already paid thousands of dollars for the vehicle; we shouldn't have to pay for defective equipment. I demand a recall for our safety. By the way, other than this BCM issue....I love my tibby. Please look into having this BCM recalled. Thank you

- Lewisburg, WV, USA

Sep 052011

Tiburon

Upon using the turn signal on my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT, the signal light would pause and seem to "stick" in the on position inside of the car. Little did I know that even with the car off the turning signal and the signal lights remain on. Upon research I found that the signal relay is located internally within the BCM, requiring a new BCM altogether to fix the stuck signal. I suspect from reading into this vehicle that it is a manufacturing defect as this signal problem seems to be a trend and just a matter of time as to when it will happen.

- Rochester , NY, USA

Aug 212011

Tiburon

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. The contact stated that the right signal and flashers were malfunctioning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the body control module assembly was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 207,000.

- Woodland , CA, USA

Apr 122011

Tiburon

2003 Tiburon : my lights started going on and off on their own and indicator lights on and off erratically. Air bag light stayed on I went off the road at 100K and airbag did not deploy also having alternator problems melting fan switch and attaching harness rear wiper failed, trunk release fail, both door locks failed cant lock my car anymore. Alot of safety issues that seem to be really common all related to BCM computer and electrical wiring cheap and dangerous. I have also had a head gasket go while the car was under warranty and the dealership refused to replace saying it was detergent in my oil I have worked on cars my whole life and been a mechanic for the last 12 years had to replace the head gasket myself after the warranty ran out. Transmission shift solenoid also failed from 1 to 2nd gear dealership replaced the transmission for that one. I have had a very bad experience with Hyundai service I had plugs fouling because of the head gasket leaking and capital Hyundai said it was my plugs which were ngk and only a few months old they were fouled Hyundai wanted $100 to replace them I said I would do it myself and when I got there they had six plugs in a box ngk and champion six plugs in all I only have a 4 cylinder car I don't know where the extra plugs came from. After the head gasket was changed amazingly my detergent stopped, my engine didn't make oil and the antifreeze stayed in the rad lol. What a coincidense.cant believe that they are able to do this I love my car but the problems that im having and lack of service and lies on behalf of the staff I will never buy a Hyundai again. P.S. getting a new car.

- Goulds St John's, 00, USA

Nov 122010

Tiburon

The right hand turn signal on my 2003 Hyundai tubiron turns on by its self and it can not be shut off. I had several close calls with cars that thought I was turning and pulled out in front of me. I reported this to Hyundai corporate customer service department. Their solution was to remove the fuse and now I do not have any turn signals or hazard flashers. After doing some research there are alot of people having the same issue with this model. I believe this is a major safety issue.

- Stanwood , MI, USA

Sep 202009

Tiburon 4-cyl

After the key remote quit working and was reset twice, the dealer said it was a bmc computer module that may be out and we were told this was a known problem with the 2003 Tiburon. Soon after the lock incident, my windshield washer pump quit as well as one headlight. Replaced the headlight and another headlight went out. Could only keep one headlight working at one time. Had the bmc replaced but still getting no electric to the windshield washer pump and the headlights didn't work. Mechanic had to rewire the headlights which are working now. Mechanic ordered a new bmc thinking the one we got was defective. Mechanic also checked the washer pump to see if it was bad but it was not. It works but not getting any electric to it when hooked up to the Tiburon. Mechanic tried a different bmc but still not solving the problem. Was told that the bmc could have shorted out part of the electrical system. My 22 year old daughter is buying this car and I don't feel safe with her driving it. No one can seem to figure out what is wrong with the car. We have been trying for over a year to get this fixed.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Nov 012009

Tiburon

2003, Tiburon, drivers side window won't roll down, passengers side really slow, digital radio can't read number or letters. Have changed head lights numerous time since purchasing the vehicle brand new in 2003. Problems with the sunroof operation (opening-closing) glaze on paint peeling on side view mirrors as well as spoiler. Any solutions for all these problems

- Springfield, MA, USA

Nov 092010

Tiburon

The other day I took my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon in to be serviced. I noticed the vehicle had been unable to accelerate. The next day I contacted the dealership and they told me that my vehicle needed another clutch. This would be my third clutch in three years considering I hardly drive my vehicle hard. I was shocked and couldn't believe how much they told me it would be to replace the part. In addition, when I drove my car home it was much worse than when I dropped it off the previous day. I refused to pay for the repair because Hyundai has been taking advantage of me and my wallet. In the past year I have spent over 5 thousand dollars on my vehicle. My car is kept in immaculate condition and I feel like the parts that Hyundai peddles is of low quality. I still have my vehicle under warranty, but all the malfunctions are not covered by the warranty I have...coincidence? probably not.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 102009

Tiburon

2003 Hyundai Tiburon = blower switch speed control melted and also melted part of harness system related to blower control. I have read this complaint on other Tiburon as well. An independent mechanic replaced the switch and rewired the melted part of the harness as it is O longer an available part. This has the very real potential to start a fire in the dash. Using the switch to high increases heat in the switch itself, but, using it on low increases heat in the harness and resistor. Problem is a cheap plastic housed switch.

- Union, NJ, USA

Jan 072009

Tiburon

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. While driving approximately 45 mph on normal road conditions, the contact smelled a strong burning odor inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle. In addition, the entire electrical system failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and they stated that the failure was related to the body control module (BCM). The technician stated that the wiring harness melted and caused circuit shortage, which resulted in a small electrical fire. The vehicle is currently inoperative and has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 114,000.

- Carl Junction, MO, USA

Jan 082009

Tiburon

Hello, I'm 26yrs old. I own a 2003 Tiburon GT V6 6speed with less than 80,000 miles. I bought it off of the original owner with only 9,000 miles. Within the 70,000 miles I've driven it, it's had three clutches.? I've owned all manual driven cars since I was 16, I learned how to drive with one. We all know I burned that clutch up a little bit yet I still didn't burn that clutch out. The first clutch I had to replace I paid for the parts. Hyundai took care of the labor which was nice but, I still had to pay for a part that I wasn't at fault for ruining. Now I'm on my third clutch, I had to pay for this one in full because I'm the second owner and Hyundai only covers 60,000 miles. As of 01\06\09 this one is no longer working. There has to be a manufactures defect of some kind. Whether it is the hydraulic lines pumping too much or not enough fluid, the reverse dual mass clutch, or it being the first year they made the car, and this was one of the problems Hyundai had to take care of. I need help please. I've read more reviews on "2003" Tiburon's than I can handle to read, and at least 90% said they had clutch problems. I started looking for a solution and the only thing I could find was Consumer Affairs #, E-mail, and a few other #'s. I called the Consumer Affairs #, and now they told me they canżT help go figure. Their reason was it being to far out of warranty although it was at only 31,000 miles. Now at 77,000 it goes again, what a coincidence. This disaster of a car has cost me around $4,000 and has also put a halt on my life. I had a Jeep payment that I had to surrender back to the bank because I could no longer pay for repairs on the Tiburon and my Jeep. IżM writing this in hope that there is some kind of good will, recall, ect. To help reimburse my loses. Thank you in advance

- Marianna, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Tiburon

I recently purchased a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 in April of 2008. The car looked like it was in great condition and did not have any mechanical problems. I was driving down the road one day when I put on my turn signal to change lanes. After I had changed lanes I noticed that my turn signal was permanantly on. Upon encountering this problem I took my car to bob king Hyundai in winston-salem. They told me that it was internal problems with the BCM and that it would cost $1100 just for the part, plus labor. Upon finding out this totally absurd problem, I went onto the internet to find other ways to fix. My discoveries were amazing. It seems that every person that has a 2003-05 Hyundai Tiburon has had the same problem when the cars have reached 100,000 miles or more. This problem leaves you with out turn signals and driving lights. It can also spread and effect other areas of the car, like not letting the windows roll down, cause the keyless entry to malfunctions, and cuts off you hud lights as well. I believe that this is a serious problem and needs to be handle by the Hyundai motors co.

- Mt. Airy, NC, USA

Dec 072007

Tiburon 6-cyl

Hazard lights, signal lights, airbag lights, powers windows and clutch.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Jul 252007

Tiburon 4-cyl

Numerous electrical problems with this car from the beginning. Within the first year of ownership, had to replace the window motor for the passenger side window. At less than 4 years of ownership, have replaced the battery twice, due to interior and dashboard lights that stay on and drain the battery. At about 60,000 miles, the left blinker came on continuously and stayed on, draining the car's battery. I had to disable the turn signals entirely, and now have to signal with my arm out the window. It will be over $1,000 to replace the body control module to fix the problem with the turn signal. The motor for the passenger side window is also broken again. If the motor for the driver side window goes, I will be unable to signal turns.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Nov 112005

Tiburon 6-cyl

About 4 minutes after driving off on a cold morning (40 F), I was merging onto a highway, when suddenly all of the electricity shut off on my car. I began to move over to the shoulder of the road and down shifted to slow down. I pressed the emergency flashers, but got nothing. I could not totally get out of the lane because a guard rail limited it to a small shoulder. I could see headlights in my rear view swerving at the last second to miss me because they couldn't see me. My only thought was grab a flashlight out of the glove box and try to escape the car and to try to warn oncoming vehicles. But then suddenly, all the lights and radio came back on. So I quickly started the engine and drove off. The total time that elapsed from loss of electricity to it coming back on was maybe a minute, but it felt like forever. I drove to work with no problems, and after work, I got it to the dealership with no problems either. The dealership claimed they could not duplicate the problem and gave the car back. Now I'm scared to drive this car.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 132005

Tiburon 4-cyl

When using the A/C fan control on setting 3 or 4 for more than 10 min., the plastic connection at the back of the unit starts melting. My temporary solution is to run the A/C on 1 and 2 only. This is a possible fire hazard. Hyundai refuses to acknowledge this as a problem. The replacement cost is $605 cad for the same unit that will do the same thing after a little use. This is not a valid solution to the problem.

- Embrun, 00, USA

Apr 292003

Tiburon

Consumer complained about electrical problems which included the power windows, and the driver seat belt buckle wiring. Consumer received a recall notice on this matter, however, dealer refused to accommodate the consumer. The air bad failed during a crash and the sun roof malfunctioned.

- The Plains, VA, USA