2003 Hyundai Tiburon seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon:

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 152008

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. The air bag indicator is illuminated and will not dim. The driver's side seat belt buckle wiring is preventing the air bag from deploying in the event of a crash. NHTSA campaign id number 02V290000 (seat belts:front:buckle assembly) was referenced. The dealer and manufacturer stated that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Nov 212008

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. While driving 60 mph, the air bags deployed without a crash. The dealer stated that they would not inspect the vehicle because it was no longer under warranty. The vehicle is still at the dealer and they refuse to inspect it or make any repairs. The failure and current mileages were 74,184.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Aug 012007

Tiburon 6-cyl

My air bag light has currently been on for almost a year now at first if I wiggled the seat belt latch it would go off but now it stays on. When I contact the dealership they say that my car is not affected by the seatbelt recall. They want to charge me all this money for something that should be covered by the recall.

- Marysville, CA, USA

Aug 292007

Tiburon 6-cyl

Clutch failed at 44,000 miles after buying car used. Service department would not fix, stated it was wear and tear. Cost $1500 to fix. Airbag light stays on, past 65,000 so service department wont fix it unless I pay for it. Hatch back latch wont work, $200 to fix that. Headlights burn out every other month. Brought car to service center because of a noise in the front of car. Said they couldnt hear anything. 2000 miles over my warrentee brought car back because it was getting worse, said it was front wheel assembly and would cost $1000 to fix. During cold weather emergency brake sticks took it in and they couldnt find anything wrong, go figure. Seats wont latch sometimes after letting someone out from the back. Is there a end to the problems that I have with this Hyundai.

- Newark, MD, USA

Feb 032007

Tiburon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. While driving 40 mph in clear weather the contac's vehicle struck the rear of another vehicle. Only the passenger side air bag deployed, however, there was no passenger in the seat. The vehicle was destroyed, and has not yet been inspected by the manufacturer. The current and failure mileage were 27,000.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

May 132005

Tiburon 6-cyl

This just happened one day. My air bag warning light came on the dash, and when I fastened in my seat belt it starts dinging like it's not fastened. It's annoying as I drive down the road. I've checked the air bag fuses and they are fine.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Oct 012006

Tiburon 4-cyl

: the contact stated the driver seat belt and airbag lights illuminated. When the seat was repositioned, the seat belt light went out, but the airbag light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not included in recall #02V290000, regarding seatbelts:front:buckle assembly due to the VIN. The service dealer determined the seat belt buckle needed to be replaced to fix the issue.

- Colton, CA, USA

Oct 282006

Tiburon 4-cyl

On October 28th at 11:00pm, we were driving at the rate of 55 to 60 mph and we hit a deer. The deer was a buck and from my understanding, it would be worth 8 points while hunting. The deer smashed into the front my car and rolled many times on the left of us. The deer died instantly from the accident. When the impact happened, the car shut off and the only light on the dash board that was on was the airbag light. We could smell a burnt powder smell inside of the car as well. The airbags did not deploy. I am very concerned about this since we were going so fast and we hit a large deer head on. Even if the car is able to be fixed, I am going to be afraid to drive the car again or sell it to anyone due to the safety issues. I have called the dealer regarding this situation and I am waiting to hear back.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Aug 012005

Tiburon 4-cyl

-4 transmission/clutch failures -defective brake line -defective wheel hub -defective wheel bearing and knuckle -many other dangerous defects -all were repaired, most were covered under warranty after much dispute -no old parts available, but all repair orders are.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 022005

Tiburon 6-cyl

Since we purchased this vehicle new we have replaced the battery twice, the clutch, fly wheel, slave cylinder, three times, a coolant leak fixed, the window motor and it is currently at the repair shop. We also have had to replace all four tires and have the vehicle aligned. The air bag light is also on at this time. The thing that makes me angry is that a service technician has seen or vehicle twice and said our vehicle was fine. So, why did the clutch go out 10 days later?

- Vidor, TX, USA

Dec 262003

Tiburon 6-cyl

My Hyundai Tiburon was partially submerged in flood water Dec 26, 2003. The air bag light stays on but did, not deploy. At 10,000 mi I was told my warranty was canceled, eventhough I'm still the initial owner. There are several recalls on the vehicle. Since I still driving the vehicle, I need the recalls taken care of.

- Pine Bluff, AR, USA

Mar 222005

Tiburon 4-cyl

Air bag light comes on intermittently during vehicle operation. Brought vehicle to dealer without results. I am still fighting with them to look into this matter especially after reading all the complaints filed concerning air bag malfunctions. I am concerned for my safety and the safety of my family. Something must be done Hyundai must be held accountable for their negligence.

- Odenton, FL, USA

Jan 172005

Tiburon 6-cyl

Front end collision driver airbag did not deploy, passanger side did, wire harness was defective at firewall.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

May 032004

While driving, the passenger side air bag deployed without warning. The dealer was contacted as well as the manufacturer, however, neither is willing to assist the driver.

- Louisville, TX, USA

Feb 152003

The all-new 2003 Hyundai Tiburon boasted to deliver a perfect combination of stylish design, high quality and outstanding performance. In reality, the new vehicle, which I leased was plagued with numerous handicaps. The knob on stick shift keeps falling off-appears to be broken. Re-attached knob and centered face plate only to have knob fall off again still broken. July 18 2002 A/C fumes coming thru vents this is caused by grease on wheel from band clamp loose off cv boot. July 18 2002 steering wheel shakes at high speed- car sways at rear. Steering wheel off center, they adjusted, still shakes. July 18 2002 park and emergency brake defective. Park brake loose and brake light flashes. Emergency brake loose/does not hold, they fixed both, they are broken again Jan 9th. Dec 18 2002 sunroof will not open requires a new motor and module, which was installed. When I picked up the car I tested it and it still would not open. They said make another appointment in the new year. Dec 18 2002 driver side window defective-goes up very slow yes, power window is dragging. We will order a new one. Jan 10/03 still no part. Bob (service manager) will call me when parts are in. Jan 17th, I called, yes parts are in, as per bob the letter is in the mail. As of Feb 25/03 I have yet to receive that letter. May 15 2002 I bought (from Hyundai showroom) blue neon lights for windshield wipers $22.59 had their service dept install them $30. The first time I washed my car they fell off. Yes, they were defective. June 11 Hyundai re-installed my old ones and in doing so dented the car roof. Aug 28 2002 with the pending possibility of lay-off I went into the dealership to see what my options were. The manager directed me to call financial lynx leasing co. Financial lynx directed me to call dealership. The manager told me I could buy out my lease for $6000 at that time. Thank god I didn?T get laid-off. I am not looking to get out of my lease. Sincerely, carrie urbanowicz

- London, AL, USA

Aug 072003

Consumer stated while traveling at normal speed, another driver hit consumer which caused the throttle to stick. Consumer lost control and only the front passenger airbag deployed. The seat belt was on and consumer will send pictures.

- Medford, MA, USA

Jun 212003

Consumer stated that while driving at 45 mph an accident occurred while trying to avoid a collision with a stalled vehicle in the highway. While avoiding the stalled vehicle consumer rolled into a ditch and rolled over several times. Consumer's seatbelt came undone, and the air bag did not deploy. After the accident something under the hood started smoking, and within ten minutes the entire car was consumed by the fire.

- Hailey, ID, USA

Sep 112002

The vehicles hood popped up while driving which caused an accident. The driver and passenger air bags did not deploy.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Apr 252002

Tiburon 6-cyl

The vehicle was involved in an accident and the air bags failed to deploy.

- Lemont, IL, USA