2005 Hyundai Tucson body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Tucson:

2005 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Nov 102015

My 2005 Hyundai Tucson was recalled for rust/corrosion problem on the undercarriage subframe. The service work was done in November, 2015 by my Hyundai dealer in Plymouth, MA. It was inspected again approximately 1 month later and determined that it needed additional preventative rust recall service work to be done. Hyundai motors of America asked for additional photos and another inspection and concluded that they refused to repair more rust problems that had become systemic and will eventually affect the safety of my car as the rust continues to spread over time. This determination came in February, 2016. My car only has 82,000 miles and I was hoping to keep the car for some time longer but now I may not have that option and may not qualify for safety inspections in the future. I have many emails that were exchanged with my Hyundai dealer relating to this problem and Hyundai service center and Hyundai corporation made me wait almost 3 months with continuous trips to the dealer while this issue was being processed. Very upset with Hyundai motors of America and their unwillingness to co-operate and prevent a serious problem that will ultimately result in a safety problem. I will no longer be a Hyundai customer after this ordeal.

- Marion, MA, USA

Aug 062015

Letter to nstb and MA attorney general, re Hyundai underbody corrosion on 8/6/2015 I received a Hyundai "service campaign notification" on my 2005 Tucson for "under body corrosion." I did have the recall service completed. (┐arrests┐ it, they claim, but not removes it.) by that date I had already experienced two failures caused by the corrosion, both of which I believe had high potential for serious, even fatal accidents. The repairs cost almost $2,000, but they refused to reimburse. I am more concerned with the safety issues. Luckily, the fuel tank falling onto the drive shaft did not rupture and explode. The right front control arm failure caused loss of steering control and an abrupt stop into the right curb. Had it been the left front, , I would have been steered into oncoming traffic. Had it been at turnpike speed I suspect a likely rollover. The left front arm was also near failure. I sent two emails to Hyundai, and made a number of calls, in part requesting repair reimbursement, but more importantly to tell them my concern the car was unsafe to drive. I asked them to buy it back at a fair price. No response. Twice, they promised to contact me in 2 to 5 days, they didn┐T, ever.. when I later called them and told them I had sold the car (at a loss in value) they just brushed me off. (to paraphrase them: ┐it's no longer an issue since you now don┐T own it┐). I can provide documents (repair invoices, with findings, and emails if you wish). I am requesting you take action to investigate, and as needed, take action to issue stronger sanctions against Hyundai, they should be forced to recall all the affected cars.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Sep 012010

Tucson 4-cyl

Steering wheel material is disintegrating. The material is a rubbery coating and first began cracking and proceeded to come off in larger chunks exposing the inner steel frame. Dealer and Hyundai refused to offer resolution.

- Greer, SC, USA

Sep 162011

I went to go open the glass door on the hatch, and one of the plastic hinges completely broke. The window was just hanging crooked. It took some labor to actually get it back into place.

- Blakely, PA, USA