3.3

2010 Hyundai Tucson drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Tucson:

2010 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Apr 302010

Tucson

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Tucson. While driving 15 mph and making a turn, the gear shifted into the neutral position without warning. In addition, while depressing the accelerator pedal after a complete stop, the failure recurred. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 300.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jun 082016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that the electronic stability control and down hill brake control warning lights illuminated. In addition, the gear shifter failed to shift into park from the drive position. Also, while driving various speeds, the gear shifter shifted out of the drive position into the park position independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle would need to be repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was repaired, but the failure with the gear shifter was not addressed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,692.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Mar 032016

Tucson

When traveling at about 35-40 mph, the vehicle sometimes does not engage when trying to automatically shift to the next gear. This causes the driver to lose all acceleration and essentially puts the vehicle into a coast. Tapping on the accelerator does nothing to engage the transmission again. However, after a few seconds or more, the transmission will finally engage. If you happen to have the accelerator pressed this will lurch the vehicle forward. If you happen to be behind another vehicle this could potential cause an accident by ramming the vehicle in front of you. There have been a couple of ┐close calls┐. I have videos of the engine revving that I can supply, but the file sizes are too large to upload. This has been occurring since I purchased the vehicle new. They replaced the transmission at 5000 miles for a similar situation. The problem occurrence diminished, but over the years the problem has been happening more frequently. I have always reported this to the dealer when taking it in for service. The dealer has been unable to replicate the situation or offer any solution. They have been supplied with the videos. The exact cause of this is currently unknown.

- Derry, NH, USA

Mar 152014

Tucson

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Tucson. While driving at various speeds, the RPM gauge increased and the vehicle shifted into different gears without being prompted. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Tucson 4-cyl

My problem with this Tucson is in regards of "sudden unintended acceleration". it sporadically, on an almost daily basis we experience "sua" followed by immediately loses power and acceleration every time it's driven. Ex: driving on the freeway doing 70mph, it will lunge and the tachometer will race and suddenly loses power down to 35mph. Then has a lag accelerating afterwards. This is consistent through out the day since I commute a lot. Other issues, when engine on idle it feels like it's about to stall. We have taken this to the dealership 3 times and from their diagnosis, they don't see the problem. There is definitely a malfunction in the transmission and doing research I've found these issues with numerous Tucson owners. We are concerned with our safety as we now have had a couple of close calls on the freeway. We bought this vehicle for safety and now are starting to question our safety due to this issue.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Dec 162013

Tucson

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000.

- Capitola, CA, USA

Nov 302013

Tucson 4-cyl

I was at a gas station and positioning my vehicle for fueling. The transmission shift lever got stuck and I couldn't move it to anywhere but neutral. During this time the ESC and downhill brake control lights were on. Then I switched off the engine and restarted it, the problem seem to go off. Now it recurs very often at least 5 times a day even at low speeds ~25 mph on a dry road.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 092011

Tucson 4-cyl

Car would not go into gear - dashboard ABS light, traction control light etc illuminated. Dealer could not diagnosis issue..........it has happen several times since but reset itself. Today 9/10/13 again it happened and I had to pop the shift lock to override and put it into gear.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 032011

Tucson 4-cyl

For awhile noticed occasional but unusual increase in RPM's. didn't think much of it until incident on highway when car made a loud noise, and lurched forward as if we hit something. Immediately pulled off road, and didn't notice any damage. Took car to dealer when they "reset" something and said the car was good. Problems with RPM's have continued, and took car to dealership 4 more times with identical faults. At one point they replaced a solenoid, which appeared to fix it for about 2 weeks. Were told they can not duplicate the faults, car is fine, and there is nothing they can do. They said the transmission learns your patterns and something might have gotten confused. I'm extremely frustrated with this. It's clearly a safety hazard, that will only continue to get worse. It's my wife's primary vehicle and I fear for her safety. Have read online, and we are not the only 2010 Hyundai Tucson owners that are experiencing these problems.

- Columbia , SC, USA

Oct 272010

Tucson 4-cyl

The transmission slips. The radio/gps lost its audio, the manufacture will not aid me in getting it repaired.

- New Castle, , DE, USA

Apr 012011

Tucson

Issue: The interior plastic cover attached to the shifter located next to the cup holders will crumple-up after some soda is spilled on it - creating a safety issue because the crumpled plastic will make it difficult or prohibit the shifter to be placed in park or drive. If weak individual encounters this condition on a sloped surface the car may roll up or down the slope because while it may be difficult to place it in park or drive - the car can be placed in neutral. This all started when on a April 1, 2011, Friday trip from cedar park, to corpus christi, tx. I stopped and picked up a burger and coke. I placed the coke in the cup holder and continued on my trip- some of the coke spilled because the lid came loose. I secured the lid on the cup and wiped down the area where the coke had spilled. On April 2, 2011 Saturday, I noticed that the it was hard to shift but did not think much of it. I returned to cedar park on April 3, Sunday. By April 4, Monday, the shifter plastic was a crumpled mess and I had to use a box cutter to cut through the plastic so I could place the car in park or drive. I took my car to the Hyundai dealership where I bought it, and dropped it off to be serviced. So I was surprised and disappointed when the service advisor, called and said that the service manager had directed she tell us that because some liquid had been spilled on the plastic causing it to become sticky - that the repair was not covered by warranty and that we would have to pay $250. There is no excuse for any amount of spilled soda to cause the plastic shift cover to crumple and impede proper operation of the gear shifter. This is a design and engineering flaw which could possibly result in injury or death. A recall to correct and repair this problem needs to be initiated.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA