2011 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Tucson:

2011 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Jan 042016

I recently reached 115000 miles on my Tucson. It started 2 weeks ago, the alternator needed to be replaced for higher output than it should. It caused the vehicle not to start since it wouldn't hold a charge. Once replaced, the engine light came on again not long after so I took it into a shop. They found that I needed to replace two of the cam shaft sensors. A couple of days ago, drivingmy husband and kids, the rmp gauge went out and the vehicle would not accelerate. Once stopped and restarted, the RPM gauge re-engaged and drive fine. No engine light came on. Driving home today, 66 miles away from home on interstate 78 in New Jersey, the rmp gauge went out again. I pulled over on the shoulder, put on my flashers and shut off the vehicle. I waited about 5 minutes and was able to restart the vehicle, this time the check engine light engaged. I was a few miles from my exit, and the rmp gauge again went out, at this point, I was not able to accelerate the vehicle and there were tractor trailers all around me. While reviewing other Hyundai issues, I see other models having similar issues, yet no recall for the Tucson. I am now not only fearful of driving it, engine light or not, but do not have reliable transportation to work.

- Oxford, NJ, USA

Dec 262012

The car would not start when I went to start it up. It was parked outside overnight in 20 degree weather and just clicked when I went to start it. I had to call Hyundai roadside assistance to come and jump the car. They did and it took them a couple of tries and they had to use their vehicle, not the portable starter. They said that the battery was drained. There was no reason for that because there were no lights left on. I took it in for service and they checked the battery and said it was it happened again on February 3, 2013 and I had to do the same thing. I had the dealership check the battery and it was fine. On March 15, 2013, the dealership checked the battery and it registered a strong charge. The dealership wanted me to leave the car there overnight to duplicate the conditions of the car not starting up, but were not willing to let me use a free loaner. As the temperature warmed up, it was not an issue. However, today I went to start my car and leave for work, the vehicle did not start up. It just clicked, the radio worked, lights worked, but the engine would not turn over. I am taking the vehicle to the dealership later today and they will let me use a loaner for free. I hope that they are able to diagnose and fix the problem as I need my vehicle for transportation.

- Columbus, OH, USA