CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

2016 Hyundai Tucson drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Aug 072016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. While at a stop light, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact switched the gear shifter stick into park, neutral, and back into the drive position before the vehicle would accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle had a delayed response when accelerating prior to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,550.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 302015

Tucson

Brought brand new August 2015. Many times the car lurches into gear. Several dct transmission hesitates noticeable when accelerating from dead stop. Car has 16,000 miles (but started around 1000 miles),. dct clutches periodically when at a dead stop will not engage, but once RPM's drop it will start to move, but prior it's like the car is in neutral.you have to wait until the RPM's come down and push accelerator again and then it will engage. Of course the dealer can not duplicate, so they say there is nothing wrong.. many times I was almost hit when turning due to the car not moving.. very dangerous and someone is going to get hurt or die!!! will Hyundai do something then, because its seems that after 167 complaints they still don't care to do a thing about it!! shame on you! since about 12,000 miles the car has been making a hissing type noise when accelerating, brought to dealer, they said its normal & that its the fuel pump finally being broke into the engine and that is very normal..they also lied on my work order that they compared that noise to a like vehicle with the same amount of miles and it did the same thing, however they told me on the phone that they would find me the same car with the same miles to show me its normal. Well that didn't happen, so they lied on the work order to cover their butts and to work against me when I contact lemon law attorneys. Who the heck are they kidding?!! brought to another mechanic & he said that is not the problem at all, but can't seem to figure out what it is..so im spending money to have them try & diagnosis it even tho I have a warranty. Tires (I think) causing the car to shimmy shake all the time at high speeds. They have been rotated & balanced 5 times & the passenger seat shakes like crazy, but again that is all normal they say. Shame on Hyundai for doing nothing about all these complaints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 052016

Tucson

Dct transmission hesitates noticeable when accelerating from dead stop. Car has 13,000 miles, purchased new my me. I am retired and only driver. Dct clutches disengage periodically when at a dead stop will not engage again once brake is released and start accelerating, like car is in neutral. You have to set and wait and push accelerator up to 3,000 RPM then let off sometime-clutches engage and it jumps forward and you have to hit brake quickly or will have an accident. This happens periodically but not routinely enough for dealer to reproduce. It has almost jumped into oncoming traffic with me several times. Damn scary to drive.

- Florence, AL, USA

Jun 012016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that the vehicle was slow to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. Also, the vehicle stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no repair solution. The approximate failure mileage was 100.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 022016

Tucson

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled and lunged forward. The failure occurred twice without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contac was advised not to drive the vehicle because it was unsafe. The vehicle was kept by the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,400.

- Sun City West, AZ, USA

Jul 122016

Tucson

Brought brand new Jan. 1, 2016. Many times the car lurches into gear. Several times the car will not accelerate from a stop. Once, car wouldn't start. Dealer has had car twice (once for a week). No engine code. Blamed after market remote start, and removed it. Obviously, not the issue, as it has happened again twice in the past 5 days. This is very unpredictable and extremely dangerous, especially turning left in front of traffic. I have totally lost confidence in the safety of this car.

- Burlington, MA, USA

Jul 222016

Tucson

On 2 occasions I have come to a complete stop at a stop sign and at a red light. When it was time to go I pressed on the accelerator, the engined revved, but the car did not move. I had to put the car into park then drive several times before the car eventually moved. The car was put into the shop on 8/1/2016. The issue was not able to be duplicated, but the service manager called Hyundai tech and was told to perform a relearn. When I picked up my car, I asked about the service manager about the issue giving the numerous internet complaints. He stated it is a known issue and currently Hyundai does not have a fix. I am concerned about my safety while driving this vehicle giving the transmission issues. I am hoping something can be done in asap to prevent any serious outcomes due to the dangerousness of these transmissions.

- Norwood, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Tucson

Less than two months after I bought the car, with maybe 4000 miles on it, as I tried to back out of my driveway one morning, the car would not move. The engine would rev and the rpms would climb, it was only after several times of putting the car back in park and then reverse did it finally engage. After that, when driving slowly as in bumper to bumper traffic, upon acceleration it would seem to hesitate then lurch. The next time such an incident occurred was a couple of months later. I was stopped at a signal and when the light changed and I tried to accelerate, the car did not move, again. It took several times of putting it in park and back to drive before it would engage. It has happened several times since then. I find this dangerous and downright scary. Luckily, no one has rear ended me or worse. I have taken the car to two different dealerships. They say they can find nothing wrong and that no trouble codes show up. I see there are multiple complaints filed on your sight about this same problem, so something is wrong, dangerously so! would you please check into this for us.

- Pinon Hills, CA, USA

Aug 062016

Tucson

Please refer to attached pdf

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Aug 022016

Tucson

On several occasions around town or commuting to work this car has not responded when pressing the accelerator. From a dead stop or when moving slowly the response is unpredictable. It happens randomly. This week the car's transmission warning light came on while going up an incline on a common curvy northern California road. It was a cool evening. This is a paved road. No other cars having a problem. I had to stop the car and restart it. Then while accelerating the car just stopped. No power, nothing, dead in the road. Had to wait and restart. This is very unnerving for any car and for a brand new vehicle is simply unacceptable. I have two little kids. I wonT drive them anywhere in this car. It's not safe. I've driven motorcycles, manuals, automatics all kinds of makes and models over the years. The dead in the water feeling is the scariest, especially when making a turn from a stop to merge into traffic. This needs to be fixed or Hyundai needs to buy these cars back.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Jun 272016

Tucson

Multiple experiences after being stopped (red light, stop sign, fast food drive thru ) with the transmission remaining in drive and brakes engaged, when trying to move forward, the transmission doesn't engage. RPM's increase, but no movement in the vheicle. Then it lurches forward. Potential danger in a) being rear ended at an intersection light because the car will not move forward B) sudden lurching could potentially rear end the vehicle in front if I don't keep plenty of room. There was a software to fix this issue ((St.lf.usa.E478.150901: Sep 1 2015 12:00am). But it hasn't. I've experienced it 3 times today. Taken to the dealer on 7/2/16, they could not duplicate the problem. Told me that my gear oil was low and refilled. But am still experiencing difficulties.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jun 212016

Tucson

Transmission fails to properly engage causing rollback, stalling, or severe loss of power in situations such at a stop light, stop sign, hill, and even turning left into oncoming traffic where power is needed to safely cross the intersection. One instance involved acceleration onto the interstate while trying to merge and the transmission acted like it was in neutral causing no acceleration. Other vehicles honked and swerved to avoid and luckily did not cause an accident. Another instance involved turning left at an intersection where there was sufficient time to turn but due to the transmission behaving as though it was in neutral again, there was nearly a collision causing a lot of anxiety to further drive the vehicle. These are just two instances out of the many where you can notice that the transmission does not behave normally causing irregular shifting, unexpected power surges, and stalls that have nearly caused accidents.

- Fountain, CO, USA

Jun 232016

Tucson

After starting from a stop, the dual clutch transmission (dct) does not always shift into gear. Instead it stays disengages and the engine revs as if in neutral. Very dangerous when pulling into traffic. Car was returned to local Hyundai dealership, and has been in shop since. We started the Hyundai buyback program to see if we can get a refund as we do not feel safe driving this car with our children.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 042016

Tucson

On July 25, 2016, took vehicle in for hood latch recall with 1332 miles on the vehicle. While at the dealership service center, they performed a software update. This update created the instrument panel too illegible - the instrument cluster was defected. The part was ordered and it was to take 30 days to be delivered. Fortunately, it took 10 days. Picked up the vehicle on 8/4/16 after work, drove less then 1 mile came to a stop light once it turned green the vehicle would not drive. Being in the center lane of the highway with flashers on, on coming vehicles just missed slamming into the rear. Finally got it back to the dealership, they have indicated it is the dual clutch issue. This is very unsafe vehicle to drive since you would not know when it would just stop shifting and driving. Have registered a complaint with Hyundai motors as the service department does not know when the vehicle will be repaired. Thank the lord no one was killed this time!

- Nashua, NH, USA

Aug 052016

Tucson

This has occurred on multiple occasions. After coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, traffic light or turn lane, the vehicle will, on occasion, not move forward when depressing the accelerator pedal. The engine will rev high, 5000 RPM but the vehicle remains stationary for multiple seconds. On one occasion the vehicle had to be turned off and back on before the vehicle would move. On another occasion the vehicle was revving very high and suddenly engaged while lurching forward uncontrollably. This happens while the vehicle in drive. It happens sporadically.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Jul 082016

Tucson

I was out of town for a tennis tournament driving 4 women and with another group in another car. Driving along on a city street, and I braked, when I went to accelerate the car would not move. I put it in park, then drive again, nothing but revving. Turned it off and back on several times, still nothing. Luckily my friend was able to park behind me with her hazards on too, to prevent people from rear-ending me. The car would go in reverse but not forward. We pushed it out of the road into a parking lot and called roadside assistance. I had to have it towed to a Hyundai dealer, and after about an hr or so they said they reset the computer and it should be fine. I had already had the software update. I got the car in Oct 2015, and at the time of the incident it had 9800 miles on it. I am afraid to drive it now, it gets sluggish or revs at various times, which makes me think it will happen again. How long before Hyundai does something about this? otherwise, I love the car, just scary knowing it could just stop with no warning.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 032016

Tucson

Purchased this vehicle 2 months ago and on 3 occasions within the last week when I have been at a complete stop, I step on the gas but the transmission does not engage, the vehicle rolls back and the RPM's just rev up. Took the vehicle to the dealership was told there is no known issue with the power train other than a software update. Was told our vehicle was already updated and not needed. Explained what was occurring and was told this was normal due to the eco dual clutch system. I told the service person that the engine reving but rolling backwards is not normal and I was afraid to drive it. Left the dealership and within 2 blocks it happened again at an intersection where I could have been hit! what will it take for Hyundai to fix or even acknowledge this problem. Each time this occurred I was driving on a city street (not freeway, too afraid to drive on the freeway with this issue). Vehicle has always been sluggish when accelerating but this new issue of not engaging and rolling backwards is just the last few days.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Aug 032016

Tucson

I bought this car in March of 2016 with about 20 miles on it. After around 1000 miles the transmission started getting hot and would stall out. I would have to wait five to six minutes for me to restart the car. I have sent it to the service center to be checked out and they say there is nothing wrong with the transmission. That it is normal for this to happen when you are in traffic. I live in New Jersey thats the norm for us here. This has been a constant headache. I even stalled out in the middle of the Lincoln tunnel. This has happened to me more then I can count. I spoke to Hyundai care center and they have brushed me over to region. Now I am waiting for region to call my case number is 9448240 and I haven't heard from them. This car is unsafe. Also when you want to go to the next lane it is slow to start. An accident waiting to happen. It reves up and don't move. There are so many issues with this car. I've taken pictures of the transmission warning lights and telling me to pull to the side safely. How can I do that in the middle of the Lincoln tunnel. I haven't heard from them and now I have about 10000 miles on the car. I am afraid of this car but I have no choice but to drive it cause I need to go to work. I need help here. The date I put in is the last incident. It got hot then stalled I waited the usual 5 to 6 minutes then started it again I just drove a mile and it happened again. I'm getting really frustrated with a car that I am scared of.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Jul 222016

Tucson

I had a half dozen incidents where the dct either does not engage or only moves the car very slowly which indicates that it is slipping badly. I also have had 2 incidents where the car accelerated at first and then stopped accelerating as I was trying to make a left hand turn from a stop sign. The speed limit is 40 mph there and it left me wondering whether I would into the right hand lane before I had an accident, I have driven this car 1500 miles on local rural and city streets since I purchased the car in April 2016. I have had the vehicle back to the dealer twice with the latest being told that Hyundai is working on a dct software upgrade to be available in 3 to 6 weeks.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jul 312016

Tucson

I was stopped at a stoplight, but when the light turned green the car wouldn't go forward. Instead the engine just revved and rpms went up, but no movement forward and no warning lights or sounds came on. I immediately flipped on my emergency flashers and tried several times to restart and go again, but two cars crashed into each other next to me as they tried to go around me. I sat in a panic in traffic with people honking at me and flipping me off. The car wouldn't drive forward, but it would go in reverse so as the cars crashed into each other and were coming towards me I dodged getting hit by a few inches and drove slowly down the street in reverse and into a nearby parking lot in reverse. Then I parked and had the car towed to a dealer. In the parking lot I took video evidence of the car not driving forward, but able to drive in reverse so I do have video proof. The car has about 5,500 miles on it and already had an ECM reset / active transmission relearn done at about 1,000 miles back in January when the car was lagging the first month I owned it. My car is still at the dealership and for a correction they did another active transmission relearn/programming reset and say the car works and is fine now and ready to pick up. I'm not comfortable driving a car that's been in twice for transmission problems and had the same correction done. I donT feel confident this wonT happen again and most online reports I read with the same problem and correction say it happens over and over again. I filed a complaint with Hyundai customer care. Ive also read there is a part that may be replaced as a fix (fp number 41470-2D011 actuator assy-clu) and possibly a recall coming up, but the dealer said I need to wait for the recall. It would be good to expedite any fix and repairs before more accidents happen, driving this car is not safe for me or other cars around me.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA