2012 Hyundai Veloster accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Veloster:

2012 Hyundai Veloster Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 122013

Veloster 4-cyl

2012 Hyundai Veloster the sunroof exploded sending glass 20' out and into the vehicle since the sunroof was open. The vehicle was parked at the time no stress to the glass. This vehicle also had been into the dealership for the warranty on the sunroof and was given a pass on the glass not being the kind that would explode. That warranty test was obviously inaccurate.

- Parker, CO, USA

Sep 302013

Veloster 4-cyl

The sunroof of my 2012 Hyundai Veloster exploded today without warning. The sunroof was under a recall campaign and was checked by the dealership. However, the dealership signed off that the sunroof was fine and did not need to be replaced. However, today (about 6 months after having checked on the sunroof) it exploded while driving on the highway and the shattered sunroof fell into the car all over me and the inside of the car.

- Galesburg, MI, USA

Jun 222013

While driving down the freeway at 65 mph, the sunroof shattered and glass fell down on me while driving. Fortunately, I was not injured and was able to safely exit the freeway. The car had been checked for a recall for defective sunroofs and had passed inspection by the dealer.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 302013

Veloster 4-cyl

On Saturday, 3/30/2013, I entered my garage at 04:00 a.M. and found that the sunroof of my 2012 Hyundai Veloster had exploded (detonated) sometime during the night. Glass fragments covered the entire front end of my car to include the floor in front of the car. On Friday, 3/29/2013, I had the sunroof open for the majority of the 50 mile drive home from work with no issues. When I parked the car inside the garage the sunroof closed fine and was not shattered. The car remained parked in the garage until I discovered the event the next morning. I entered the car to retrieve some personal items at approximately 9:00 P.M. on the 29th and the sun roof was fine. So. sometime between 9:00 P.M. and 04:00 the event occurred. I have a finished garage, with a sheetrock ceiling. Nothing fell on my roof! I can't imagine the resulting effects if I had been driving this vehicle when the sunroof exploded.

- Saukville, WI, USA

Sep 162012

Veloster 4-cyl

On September 16th 2012, approximately 4 months after purchasing the vehicle, I was driving East on I-90 at about 70 mph when my sunroof exploded. There were no vehicles in my immediate vicinity and no foreign object made contact or entered my vehicle. The sunroof was closed when this happened and I was not trying to operate it at the time of the incident. It sounded like a water balloon popped and then glass came raining down on top of my head and into my car. There were no passengers in the vehicle other than the driver and there were no injuries.

- Everett, WA, USA

Nov 262012

Veloster 4-cyl

My car was park at my work parking lot and it was around 37 degrees F outside. I went to my car to get something out of my trunk. When I closed my trunk I heard a splash after the trunk closed. I thought I splashed some water, but I then saw and realized that something was not right on my roof. I took a closer look and saw that my sunroof had blown up. Glass debris was everywhere especially on my windshield. I drove it home that night and brought it to the dealer where I bought it and they went ahead and gave me a rental car right away. I asked them for the best offer for a new car but they just wanted to sell me a new car. I don't trust the Hyundai brand anymore and im hoping in trading it in for a different car...updated 12/31/12 pictures received. 01/03/13

- Kent, WA, USA

Nov 112012

Veloster 4-cyl

I drove my car home on Saturday....and didn't move it on Sunday....however at night I went to move it in front of my others cars, and I was shocked by the scene....the sunroof was totally exploded.......I think this is a mayor defect and could be dangerous if like everyday I was driving in the highway and it could explode in front of others cars.....the weather was beautiful, not hot, not cold, and not too much sun....

- Miramar, FL, USA

Nov 082012

Veloster 4-cyl

The car was parked in my garage over night. In the morning, when leaving for work I found the cars sunroof had exploded. Glass was on the garage floor, car roof, windshield, hood, and rear glass. Shards of the sunroof were hanging down inside the car and there was shattered glass inside the car. The explosion caused the glass to blow out, and left a large hole where the sunfoof was located.this was a dangerous event and even if fixed I do not want to drive this car. If the sunroof is replaced what guarantee do we have that the problem has been researched, resolved, and that corrected componenets are being installed in our vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012012

Veloster 4-cyl

The car was parked in the driveway and I was inside the house. I heard a noise and when I went outside the sunroof had shattered/exploded. I have a camera installed on my garage that captured the sunroof exploding with no one around it and nothing falling on it. I can email the video upon request...updated 11/14/12 updated 12/4/2012

- Rootstown, OH, USA

Oct 282012

While driving down a busy street, it sounded like a firecracker went off on the top of my car. I heard a loud bang and subsequent pops and cracks. When I pulled over, I saw my sunroof had completely shattered. Nothing had hit my car, the sunroof just exploded into tiny glass pieces.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Oct 292012

Veloster 4-cyl

I was driving around 40 mph and I heard a noise like glass cracking and then a few seconds later, the moonroof exploded and fell on my head and down my back. It was raining so since I was closer to home than the dealership, I turned around and went back home. The glass broke up in such small pieces, my finger was cut, but no other injuries thank goodness. Updated 11/01/12 updated IVOQ 11/01/12

- Mineral Wells, WV, USA

Jul 052012

Veloster 4-cyl

I was driving on major hwy thru ms about 4 in the afternoon temps about 90-95 speed limit is 70 mph that was my approx speed, there was 1 car about 1/2 mile ahead of me 1 car behind me, then kaboom, my sun roof exploded, glass was everywhere, if there were any other cars on that road there would have been a major accident as I was all over both lanes. I took my car to the dealership where I bought it, they said "a rock hit my sunroof" sorry, wilson there is a very slim chance that a rock was in the air, and even a slimmer chance it would hit my sunroof, that just didn't happen, this is a defect in the car design and needs to be corrected before someone gets hurt or killed, Hyundai needs to step up and recall, and dealerships need to apologize for treating people like...... updated 11/01/12 updated 11/01/12

- Florence , MS, USA

Feb 162012

Veloster 4-cyl

I purchased the Veloster in early December 2011. It was at school in the parking structure in February of 2012 when I got a call from the campus police department saying my car had damage. When I arrived at the scene, I found the sunroof completely exploded. At the scene and after the incident, there were no witnesses of someone physically breaking in the window. There is a decent amount of traffic through the area so the idea of someone being able to break the sunroof in the middle of the day without being seen is unlikely. There was no damage to any other of the windows or any other parts of the car...there was just an exploded sunroof. There was no attempt to get into the car from the sunroof and nothing was stolen from inside of the car. The police report states that it must have been vandalism or attempted robbery, but from the shrapnel patterns from the glass seeming to blown outward from the inside, finding no objects to break into the car, and the lack of stolen property. I whole heartedly believe that the glass had spontaneous blowout which cost $7000 in repair costs. Updated 10/19/12 updated 10/23/2012

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 292012

Veloster 4-cyl

On September 29, 2012 (approximately 1 pm) my wife was driving at 55mph on I 93 near exit 8 in manchester New Hampshire. She drove over a normal bump in the road and without warning the sun roof of my 2012 Hyundai Veloster exploded into and out of the car. My wife had glass embed into her scalp. She proceeded to exit 9 and pulled off the highway where she met me. Injuries were minor and no professional help was needed, I removed the glass from her scalp. We called the nh state police and notified them of the incident. We did not file an official police report at that time. The sun roof glass was destroyed and covered the interior and exterior. The paint on the exterior has many scratches and deep gouges, the interior has glass embedded into the upholstery. Today (Oct 9, 2012) I went to pick up my car at the dealer, the roof has been fixed but the paint is destroyed by the incident and the interior has glass embedded into it. The car is a hazard to try and sit in. I brushed the rear seat and glass stuck into my hand. The car is currently at the dealer, this issue is still in process with the dealership. My wife refuses to drive the vehicle. I have asked for a written document from Hyundai such as an engineering report stating that the problem has been researched, resolved and that corrected components are being installed in our car & not just another piece of defective glass installed that will shatter on us while driving at highway speeds. I want my new car put back to new condition like it was before this incident. I also filed a formal complaint with Hyundai after the incident on October 1, 2012. I can supply you with the case number if necessary....updated 10/17/12 updated 10/19/2012

- Abington, MA, USA

Oct 042012

Veloster 4-cyl

I was traveling down I-684 in New York state when my sunroof exploded all over me. I was traveling at the speed limit, no one was immediately in front of me and nothing was in the road or airborne. It sounded like a gunshot and then the roof was shattering all over me. Updated 10/16/12 updated 10/23/12 updated 10/26/2012

- Amston, CT, USA

Sep 302012

Veloster 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated while driving 45 mph there was a loud explosion on the roof. The contact realized that the glass in the sunroof was broken when it penetrated the vehicle. The contact sustained injuries to the left foot and right arm. The passenger in the front seat was also injured on the arms and face. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made ware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN information was not available. The failure and current mileage was 8,000. Updated 10/12/12 updated 10/17/2012

- Villalba , PR, USA

Aug 312012

Veloster 4-cyl

The sunroof exploded while I was driving with 2 passengers. We heard the explosion but did not realize it was my car until glass leaked from the cloth panel under the sunroof onto my friend in the passenger seat. We moved the car off of the road and called the police. The police went back to the sight where the explosion happened and did not find any object that would have hit the car. The car is less than 3 months old and has less than 2500 miles on it. The day of the incident was warm but not hot like it has been. Updated 10/23/12 updated 10/26/2012

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Aug 282012

Veloster 4-cyl

The car was in the driveway at night when the sunroof imploded and shattered all over the seats. Nothing fell on the car - it just imploded. At this time, a tow truck is coming to take it to the dealership. The car in only three months old. Updated 10/02/12

- Brookfield, MA, USA

Aug 032012

I was driving, making a left hand turn from a stop light and then heard a very loud bang! the sunroof above me then shattered and fell all over me, the car, and outside. I pulled over to inspect the cause and see the damage. There wasn't a sign of why it happened (rock or anything of the sort), but I had shards of glass in the top of my head, back down the inside of my shirt, and the glass still hanging was flying off. Thankfully I had sunglasses on, or else something would have flown into my eyes. Actually have a scratch from the incident on my new prescription sunglasses now. I researched a possible issue or recall and came across a few postings with the exact same issue! I heard good and bad stories on how it was resolved, but its scary nonetheless. This happened today and am second guessing a sunroof, although I've always wanted one. If this is starting to become a known issue with a new model, I hope its treated with caution and swiftness. Please call or email me if you have any questions. Updated 08/15/12

- Riverview, FL, USA

Jul 152012

Veloster 4-cyl

I am very traumatized since earlier today approximately 11am the glass sun roof on my 2012 Veloster exploded when I was rinsing the car off. The weather was in the high 70S or 80S but whatever the case its extremely dangerous and unacceptable since I had children that could have had bodily injury since they were playing close by. The explosion spread shattered glass around 6 feet around the car and driveway and it was such an unfortunate situation! I would not want this to happen to any other Veloster owners or future owners since it makes me sick since I live far away and was suppose to be home by now but due to this explosion I had to get it towed to a Hyundai dealership! I sincerely hope that Hyundai will resolve this issue since I was informed that this has happened to other Veloster owners and since the car has only been in the us market for 8+ months its utterly unacceptable that its happened to multiple owners! when arriving to the dealership they told me that it is no big deal and this is really not true! it is a big deal since bodily injury did happen during the explosion since I took off my shirt after a frantic traumatic day to try and sleep and I have a small cut from the shattered glass! this is really making me so upset since its my first time as a Hyundai owner and I regret having purchased this vehicle. I no longer feel safe and anxious to see what Hyundai will do to fix the problem! its so wrong for a car company to not care about the safety of the consumer since the statement from the salesman at the dealership where my car was towed is completely unacceptable and untrue! it is not normal for a car to explode when rinsing it off and there is no warning on the vehicle or manuals that would indicate caution to rinse your car in any climate! reading forums some people just hit a bump in the road and the sunroof shatters! this is a major flaw!

- Hercules, CA, USA