2012 Hyundai Veloster accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Veloster:

2012 Hyundai Veloster Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the sun roof suddenly exploded and shattered glass dropped all over inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Oct 222015

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. While parked, the sun roof exploded. The contact stated the vehicle was inspected under NHTSA campaign number: 13V051000 (visibility) prior to the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Jun 102015

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. While driving 65 mph on an interstate, the sun roof glass exploded. The roof was not open at the time of the failure. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V051000 (visibility), but it did not prevent the failure from occurring. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 62,587.

- Irvington , AL, USA

Mar 212015

While driving 70mph on I95 N in va with the sunroof popped open (not slid all the way back) there was a loud pop that sounded like an explosion or gunshot and the roof glass shattered and fell into the car. Control of the car was maintained and since I did not want to pull over on a busy highway I proceeded to drive directly to the Hyundai dealership in fairfax, va. While driving, shattered glass continued to slide down our backs (me and one passenger). After we parked and exited the car we had to shake the shards of glass from our hair and clothes. My passenger and I were able to remain calm through this ordeal but I was still trembling when we arrived at the dealership. On Feb. 8, 2013 the car was taken to the dealership (checkered flag Hyundai) and the sunroof was inspected for a recall by Hyundai. After the recall inspection was complete it was reported that the sunroof had passed and was not part of the recalled batch of glass. Clearly the procedure Hyundai created to test for this problem was not sufficient and did not catch all the problem glass.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 282014

Driving at 70mph southbound on I-5 near albany or the sunroof suddenly imploded, showering the inside of the car with glass. The sunroof was closed as were all of the windows and the shade was open. Despite the traffic I was able to pull over to the side of the road and my passenger and I could shake out the pieces of glass from our hair and clothes. Apart from some small cuts there were no serious injuries. The entire inside of the car is covered in bits of broken glass- thankfully we didn't have anyone in the back seats. Upon having the service department at the dealer inspect the roof, I was told to contact my insurance company and see if I have coverage for the glass. When the sunroof recall came out last year I brought my vehicle in immediately and was told that it was okay, so this apparently absolves Hyundai from responsibility when it fails as mine did. What I don't understand is why this roof is not made of laminated glass or somehow coated so that if it were to shatter glass wouldn't enter the passenger compartment.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Nov 252014

2012 Hyundai Veloster was recalled last year for a sunroof defect in which the sunroof may explode without warning. Car was taken to a Hyundai dealer, where they ended up replacing the sunroof because it was defective. November 25,2014, wife was driving the car at approximately 50 mph, when sunroof blew up, sending glass flying throughout the inside and outside of car. Wife had small cuts to face and arms, with glass pieces throughout her hair and clothes.

- Mount Wolf, PA, USA

Nov 072014

I was driving my 2012 Hyundai Veloster on a paved road at 45 mph. The screen for the sunroof was open but the glass was closed. All of a sudden glass just rains down on me causing small cuts to my arms and face, small shards of glass are still embedded in my cell phone screen protector. Luckily I wasn't more seriously injured and there wasn't any vehicles around me because the sudden rush of air and glass to my face caused me to swerve.

- Heber, CA, USA

Oct 102014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the sun roof exploded. There were no injuries due to the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V051000 (visibility). The approximate failure mileage was 41,000. Djr

- Weatherford, OK, USA

Sep 292014

While driving on the interstate I-10 West of tucson, the sun roof suddenly exploded. There were no other vehicles in front of us. Glass was falling into the vehicle while I attempted to slow down, turn on my hazard lights and get off at the next exit. My husband and friend were in the car with me and they were able to try and hold up the fabric that covers the sunroof so I could try to get us off the road. Glass was all over us and the vehicle. Damage also happened along the top of the vehicle(it's all glass). I contacted my insurance company and Hyundai. I was told by Hyundai that while there were several vehicles like mine, same year and model were recalled, but mine was not on the recall list. After going the next day to the dealer where I purchased it, they are going to fix the damage as well as give me a rental car. Hyundai is paying for all of it. While I'm very happy they are paying for all damages, I really think they need to further investigate the recall. Mine was manufactured May 14, 2012, I was told the last date of the vehicles involved in the recall was April 2012. They have also recalled 2013 models with the same issue. I find it hard to believe that this is coincidence. We were truly fortunate that we were not in a very serious accident because of this incident. I'm very concerned that they are replacing the glass and not the actual structure of the sunroof. Will this happen again? something needs to be addressed before someone else is involved in a serious or possibly fatal accident. I believe Hyundai knows they are at fault, otherwise they would not be doing these repairs at no cost.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Aug 112014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. While the vehicle was parked, the sun roof shattered. The sun roof was previously inspected according to NHTSA campaign number: 13V051000 (visibility), but was not replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

May 172014

I was driving on the 10 freeway going West in tonopaugh, Arizona. I heard a huge explosion and did not know what happened...if I was being shot at; the car exploded, a bomb went off or what. The sunroof was closed and in my hysterical position, I see glass flying all over the entire car...I had to get over several lanes to get off the freeway...I'm not sure how I got the composure to do this...however, I did get to the side of the freeway. The fact that I was not killed; or killed someone with this explosion of not only glass, but the parts to the sunroof is a miracle. I am now in therapy with pdst. This car was a recall car that I purchased two weeks prior to the accident. It was recalled for shattering sunroof glass...however, Hyundai said that my car was not part of the recall. The damages came to over $10,000.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

May 172014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, she heard a loud noise and glass started shattering. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the sun roof had shattered. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Apr 262014

After having the vehicle recalled, inspected, and repaired for a known sunroof issue, my Hyundai Veloster had no window issues for approximately 1 year. While driving down the highway on April 26th, my sunroof spontaneously exploded to pieces without cause or impact. The recall for the car was supposed to have fixed this potential issue. Obviously, in my case, the recall did not work. The sunroof shattering was extremely loud and startling, nearly causing me to crash my vehicle.

- Yeadon, PA, USA

Apr 232014

I was driving with a passenger on a freeway and the sunroof exploded downward, throwing glass all over us while driving 65 miles an hour. I was able to pull off of the road and clean off the seats and take it to the dealer for a replacement, but I have no idea if the replacement is safe.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 222014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated while traveling approximately 30 mph, the panoramic sunroof shattered and glass fell into the vehicle. The driver sustained cuts from the glass. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V051000 (visibility). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Mar 262014

While driving my car the sunroof exploded and shattered all over, the dealer and Hyundai told me that my car was not part of the recall because it was made in may of 2012 and the recall was only up to April 2012. They obviously have the same problem with newer models as well.

- Mountain Top, PA, USA

Feb 142014

Veloster 4-cyl

While driving home from work, today the panoramic sunroof shattered and crashed down with a loud sound, ,Hyundai had already done a recall on my vehicle model for the same issue last year and I had checked it with a Hyundai dealer who tested and found no issues with roof when they inspected it on June 2013 last year, suddenly it crashed and almost injured me very badly today, it could have been very fatal. Ironically Hyundai had issued a recall for the same last year but it did not seem to make any difference as the dealer S R not replacing the roofs, its a grave concern and I urge the concerned authorities to kindly look into the matter as it could be a fatal issue on roads sometime soon if this continues.

- Medford, MA, USA

Jan 162014

We were driving down the highway when our sunroof exploded. All of the glass shattered and flew everywhere some of it hitting another vehicle. The entire panoramic sunroof is missing.this was extremely dangerous situation. We were on the inside lane of traffic and had to carefully make our way across traffic as quick as possible as glass was still flying off of our roof. We called Hyundai immediately to report what had happened and were told we needed to speak to service, when transferred, nobody answered. We were told to either drop off our car tonight or first thing in the morning.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Jan 132014

While drive on highway at posted speed of 70 mph the sunroof imploded on me. The roof was in closed position. The glass shattered everywhere. I had very minor scrapes on my face and neck. I just happened to be close to the Hyundai dealership and within 10 minutes of implosion I pulled into it. I had to lift myself out of my seat as the glass was on my clothing, all over the seats, in my purse and some pieces were still on the outside of the roof. Dealership in round rock, Texas was very concerned about my well being. They offered to call for medical assistance. I had minor scrapes and did not feel it necessary. The implosion made me think someone had shot me because of the sound when it imploded. I was extremely shaken, almost to the point of lightheadedness! I had this car checked in November of 2012 for the sunroof. I had not received a recall notice. I had been told about it by my customers where I worked. The dealership where I bought it in marlton, NJ checked it and said everything was fine. The dealership there said they were not aware of any recall for a sunroof problem! I have no paperwork from that dealership stating that they had checked it for me.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Oct 152013

Sunroof shattered/exploded when parked. Glass flew up to two feet away. Outdoor temp was near 70 F.

- North Potomac, MD, USA