2012 Hyundai Veloster engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Veloster:

2012 Hyundai Veloster Owner Comments

Jun 042015

Veloster

Rolled backwards while parked in my driveway twice and vehicle was found out in the road by my neighbors. I was driving it a week ago and my RPM's were tacking really high but could not accelerate speed and I was in 6th gear and it was telling me to shift to 6th then 5th back and forth. Had it checked out at dealership and they said my clutch had abnormal wear and tear but wasn't covered under warranty. They did not check the parking break to see if it was what caused the malfunction of the clutch. The clutch never gave me any problems it was just the car lagged when trying to accelerate speed.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Apr 122014

Veloster 4-cyl

About 10 feet from my parking space, I prepared and aligned my eyes to pull forward into the space. Suddenly, my car accelerated and I jumped the curb, and crashed into my apartment building, without me being able to regain control of the car. Now I've been parking for many years, and I was not impaired in any way, shape or form. How fast must that car have accelerated to what mph? I'm terrified to drive the vehicle. I have noticed the whole time I had the car about a "lurching forward", be it a red light or in line at fast food line drive up. Once it starts lurching forward I'm worried im going crash into the car in front of me in line or at the red light.. also, sometimes when the light turns green, I hit the gas and the car doesn't go anywhere. Then violently throws the car forward accelerates.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 292013

Veloster 4-cyl

Vehicle has entered into limp home mode multiple times, last time resulting in near collision from behind as throttle and transmission shifting become inoperable. Vehicle does not produce any codes or check engine light. Other symptoms prior to this condition were an engine miss while driving and complete stall in park.

- Tyrone, PA, USA

May 112012

Veloster

Purchased car on 5/5/2012 with 6 miles on it. Within less than a week and 200 miles the transmission began clicking. Took it into Hyundai and they stated it needed a new transmission. After 2 1/2 weeks the transmission was replaced as Hyundai refused to give me a different car. Since then the car cannot accelerate, sounds "clunky" and when going at low speeds sounds like the gear isn't engaging and sounds/feels like it would if you released a clutch too early. Car loses power and sounds like it's about to die. A hissing and rattling sound under the hood happens as well. After taking it in to dealer, dealer states they could not find the sounds or noises or loss of power I was having. Rpms rev really high before engaging in first gear. Dealer still won't do anything since they can't diagnose it. I have almost been in multiple accidents for failure of power and car not accelerating. Takes about 3-5 seconds before it goes. Brakes grab too easily as well. Loss of gas mileage (around 6-7 mpg) was reported to dealer but dealer told me it was due to "winter gas." I can understand 2-3 mpg difference but 6-7 is too much. Car has also been in the shop for a week for the car alarm going off constantly for no reason. A piece of the windshield plastic also fell off for no reason when car was 3 weeks old. Dealer duct taped that part down until a new part could be ordered.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Jul 162012

Veloster 4-cyl

Bought the car brand new in Jan of 2012, started having "issues" with the duel clutch within a few months of driving. After getting use to the new car and how it drove, putting a few thousand miles on the car, something was still not right with how it drove. Not getting the speed it needed and tacking out the rpms to change into the right gear and at times, was the wrong gear. We had taken it to the dealership in which we got the car, told them of the issue and they said there was nothing wrong and that it was "normal" with the duel clutch and that we had to drive it more in manual mode, which made no sense to me. After a few months, the car got progressively worse....could not even merge out into traffic that was going 30-35 mph. Had to always drive the car in manual mode as opposed to automatic, adhering to the dealership. Well, one thing lead to another and now the car is barely driving and becoming a massive safety issue, as we have to use this car to go to and from work and that only. We had brought it to the attention of the dealership, once again in Dec and now... they are having "issues" with the duel clutch and that this car was...a "guinea pig" and being made a complete mockery of this particular dealership. We have escalated the issue to corporate office and I will never purchase another vehicle from this maker ever again... nothing but a horrid experience.

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Jun 102012

Veloster

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to accelerate while waiting to complete a turn. The check engine light was illuminated prior to the failure. In addition, the contact stated that there was an occasional odor of gasoline inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that there was a vapor leak. The dealer was unable to determine or duplicate the acceleration failure. The manufacturer was made aware of issue however no further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 200. The current mileage was 6,300.

- Sandia Park, NM, USA

Aug 142012

Veloster

The car does not accelerate properly. When at a full stop and I press on the gas the car does not move however, the rpms are high but the car takes 5-6 seconds to go and it doesn't go very fast and there have been times I was almost hit. My car jerks when I try to accelerate from a slow speed, it is the same movement as if you were running out of gas and actually jerks my neck. My rear driver's window shattered for no reason. It was in the drive way and when I went out to work in the morning, it was shattered. There is no impact sight as evidence that something had hit it. I am very unhappy with the car and wish I never bought it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 112012

Veloster

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that he released the accelerator pedal but the vehicle did not begin to decelerate from 55 mph and continued to maintain a speed of 55 mph. The failure recurred frequently. The contact stated that the failure occurred most frequently while attempting to decelerate from sixth gear. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the vehicle was operating as intended. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 130.

- Collinsville, OK, USA