Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Veracruz has a minor trend of complaints where the valve cover leaks oil onto the alternator, causing alternator failure. The problem starts with the battery warning light & typically all the other warning lights coming on in quick succession. Luckily, that problem was covered in a 2014 recall.

Overall, It's a solid reliable vehicle with no major problems reported.

2008 Hyundai Veracruz brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Veracruz:

2008 Hyundai Veracruz Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 252016

Takata recall I purchased this car three weeks ago, even though it's an older car it only had 57,000 miles on it. Well a few days after purchase I was driving and when I arrived at my destination I could not move the gear shift lever out of drive. I called the local Hyundai and they wanted me to bring in the car, but again I can't bring in a car that I can't back out of a parking space. So I ended up calling the Honda dealership in which I bought the car from, and he told me to press on the safety brake and then try to turn the car off. Eventually after waiting 20 minutes I was able to move the gear shift lever in to park. Then is happened again today on 05-12-2016, while I was driving I looked down and seen the "ESC off" light on again so I came to a stop and attempted to put my car in park, and again, the lever did not move. In both situations I was just driving on a regular street and both times I came to a stop and seen the "ESC off" lights on.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Feb 102016

Problem with ESC and ABS lights on a well maintained 2008 Veracruz with 64K millage. The light turn on and off often when driving.

- Racine, WI, USA

Dec 102015

The break, ABS, ESC and chk engine light all came on and literally everything shut down. There was no steering (extremely difficult), and worst of all no breaks. I could barely bring the car to a stop with both feet and had to divert my travel into a parking lot to avoid going through a red light. The problem stems from a faulty ABS module and has been reported numerous times on various web sites. The repair is very costly and the consequences are so potentially deadly I can't understand why this has not been a recall item.. please do the driving public a huge favor and investigate this problem. It's not as though Hyundai doesn't know about the problem.

- Eaton, OH, USA

May 312015

The ESC light is constantly illuminated when the car power is on. Rear brake lights intermittently don't come on while driving. Frequently unable to shift the car out of park (which we have to perform manually with a screwdriver and the override switch in the shifter console). Due to previous recalls, we have discontinued using cruise control because we aren't sure whether or not it will disengage when braking. These problems began over 6 months ago. They are very much a safety issue! despite identical problems in nhtsc campaigns for this year/make/model vehicle -- a campaign has not appeared for my vehicle's VIN.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Jun 252015

I just got this car around may and it started making a terrible noise when it was in park and neutral. Took it to a mechanic and he said it was in the switch. Also, during this time I had noticed the ESC light came on and sometimes during that time I cannot change gears. Wondered if there was any recalls with this problem or any other complaints.

- Newberry, SC, USA

Apr 112015

While driving my 2008 Veracruz, the ABS, ESC, and 4WD lights went on, a few minutes later the speedometer registered zero, then worked intermittently. According to my mechanic the source of the problem was the ABS module. The original ABS module became inoperable in March 2015, after approximately 41,000 miles and was replaced once the part became available from Hyundai on 4/9/15. The part was purchased brand new from Hyundai by my mechanic and professionally installed, drove approximately 100 miles before the. According to my mechanic, the ABS module which cost approximately $2,500 and controls the brakes, stability control, speedometer, traction control, etc is only guaranteed by Hyundai for 30 days. Two ABS module failures within a month.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Apr 062015

My ABS, ESC and AWD dash lights illuminated on my 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. Ran codes to find out the rf and lr wheel sensors were giving an error, as well as the brake switch. Checked fittings and found no missed connections with the wheel sensors, and when I started the car back up, all lights on the dash turned off. When the car got up to 30mph, the ESC light started flashing, the AWD light illuminated, and my vehicle acted as if it was driving in heavy snow (stalling, slowing, and acceleration failing). After putting the car in park, turning it off, and starting it back up, all lights were again off. Same issue repeated itself, and then the ABS, ESC and AWD lights illuminated again, and the car drove fine. Took to the dealer to get diagnosed. Fearful of sudden malfunction during expressway driving to cause a serious accident.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Mar 022015

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

Car was driving ok since we have acquired it. No problems, no issues until we had a snow storm when my wife driving home from my children's school the cruise control got stuck and would not release. She put the car in neutral and the engine RPM kept going up. She turned the car off then restarted in 5 mins it was ok with all light in cluster on. Diagnosed the car with wheel speed sensor rr. It drove for 1 hour then all light came back on. Took it to deal for the open recall I found online about my model car. Dealer changed all recall problems but light is on. Now the dealer said no communication to the car's computer can bus. Checked with my local mechanic and said it is the ABS hydraulic pump and module affixed to it. It is shorted out inside and causes interference with the computer system. The cost of parts is well over 2600 plus labor.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Feb 242015

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

ESC off, AWD, and ABS lights lit up on the dashboard. While driving in traffic, the vehicle suddenly died and lost electricity and had to coast the vehicle to the side of intersection, while not having power. Eventually able to restart the vehicle and drive again. Happened 2 more times where the vehicle died while it was being driven. While driving it to the dealer, noticed the speedometer was not working. Dealer found a bunch of codes for wheel sensors and eventually determined the issue was an ABS hydraulic module, which costs over $2000 just for the part itself. I researched through several Hyundai forum websites and it appears this is a chronic issue with this vehicle as other owners have had the same problem. Due to the cost of this part and the safety issues involved with driving the vehicle, I would suggest it should be part of a recall. Veracruz owners should be notified not to drive the vehicle if the combination of these lights come on, as the vehicle may quit and lose power while it is being driven.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jan 132015

Veracruz 6-cyl

We have a well maintained 2008 Hyundai. Like some others we have reported we also have an issue where the ABS, ESC (traction control) and sometimes the park brake lights will illuminate. They will stay on for a while and then turn off again with no rhyme or reason. When the lights are on the traction control and ABS systems are disabled, making the car unsafe to drive. Our car is not old and has been well cared for... it seems ridiculous that this type of issue is occurring.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 162014

All brakes lights came on initially. Then when driving, the car started losing power and stalled. Thankfully I was on a county road with a driveway I was able to exit on. Otherwise on a busy highway it could have been very dangerous. The part that failed was an ABS modulator valve assembly. It cost $2,615.06 to fix. Also, I'm concerned it was replaced with the exact same part, which will most likely fail again! the Hyundai part no. Is: 58910 3J950 hydraulic module.

- Loretto,, MN, USA

Dec 012014

Veracruz 6-cyl

ESC off light on, ABS light on, AWD symbol light on, even safety belt on when on park gear blinks. Took it to the shop three times. Says they fixed the problem but weeks later same dash warning lights come on. I'm getting screwed here. This is all past the warranty.

- Hercules, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Veracruz 6-cyl

ABS control module / pump failed while operating the vehicle under normal highway conditions. ABS and ESC disabled and brake lights not operational. Advised by Hyundai dealer to replace the ABS module at a cost of $2,100 for the module (excluding labor).

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Oct 022014

Veracruz 6-cyl

ESC off, ABS & airbag lights are on for the Hyundai Veracruz. As few users of complained here this seems like an issue that other people have as well. I would request NHTSA look into this and have Hyundai take care of this.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Veracruz 6-cyl

My airbag and ESC lights went off and I took the car to dealership. They are saying that both the control modules (ABS, airbag) need to be replaced and the parts alone cost around $2600. The car is out of warranty because of 5 year period (bought in Sept 2008) even though the mileage is less than 60K. There were multiple recalls on this vehicle and it seems like these modules should not be failing for 50K miles. I have heard multiple people complaining about the issue and I think Hyundai should get the control modules replaced.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 272014

Three warning lights came on in vehicle. ESC, abf, parking!brake were the lights that lit up on dashboard. Took vehicle in to local mechanic and he ran computer diagnostics on it, it came up with internal failure of the hydraulic electronic control unit. I called Hyundai customer care line and was told there were currently no recalls on this problem, but they did file my complaint and said that they take notice of trends and do research when enough problems happen, he encouraged me to file a complaint here as well. He also said that should Hyundai recall this problem I could be reimbursed the $2400 this is going to cost to get it fixed. Vehicle only has 45,000 miles on it, and is only 6 years old, too young and not enough miles for something like this happen. I did speak with a Hyundai dealer service dept and they said they have not seen this in the Veracruz but have seen it more in the sonata.

- Fridley, MN, USA

May 062013

At random times, I cannot move my shifter from drive to park and it seems to correspond with the ESC light turning on without pushing the button. I can only move the shifter from drive to neutral and have to leave the car ignition partially on and cannot lock the vehicle. Obviously a safety concern! I have brought it to the local dealer only to be told there is nothing wrong with the ESC control even after the recall bulletin. The dealer just did a fix relating to the oil leak issue and told him it was also doing the shift issue. Picked vehicle up 9/25/14 as everything was supposed to be resolved but only to have the shifter and ESC issue again on 9/27 and 9/29/14. Called dealer and am bringing in vehicle again today 9/29/14.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Aug 282014

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

While using cruise control could not push brakes car kept going. The car will not shift from out of park. I have to use a screwdriver to press the shift lock release in order to drive. Check engine light is on & the airbag light along with the ESC. The brake light will not illuminate anymore.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Aug 072014

Veracruz 6-cyl

Randomly after pulling up to a stop in my garage, I cannot move my shifter from drive to park. I can only move it back and forth from neutral to drive. After turning the car on and off multiple times in neutral it allowed me to put the car into park. I could not back out of my garage, nor could I put it into park, a serious safety concern. I called Hyundai corporate and they told me the recall for it has already been done, but it is doing it now every time I want to put it into park. The ESC off light comes on without pushing the button and the car is stuck in drive.

- Schofield, WI, USA

May 252013

Veracruz 6-cyl

While driving down the highway (approx. Speeds of 65 mph), while raining, the vehicle started to stutter, speedometer jumped around, and the ESC off, ABS and AWD warning lights flashed and then stayed on. Once the lights stayed on (no longer flashing) it seemed as though the vehicle drove "normal." After a day of driving with the lights on they would turn off and problem wouldn't come on again until their was some sort of moisture/precipitation happening; and then once dry would turn off again. Had dealer check vehicle (at the time of check no lights/symptoms occurring) and they said it required a new hecu unit and a new wheel speed sensor (approx. Cost $3,200). They could neither explain why it only happened when it was wet and did not want to troubleshoot beyond the basic code check. Hyundai was contacted and they offered no help - it was only 1,000 over warranty by the time we were able to have it looked at by dealer (which also took 2 weeks to set up appointment with Hyundai tech). Dealer cleared codes and put dielectric grease on the connections. Had no problems for 7 months, and then problem reappeared. Only now the problem is a severe safety risk to myself and others around me. There is no telling (can occur at any speed and doesn't matter how long car has been on or how far driven) when the systems mentioned will fail, and when the lights start flashing I have no ability to accelerate the vehicle until all the lights turn steady and stay on. If this were to happen when pulling out/across traffic it could turn fatal. A quick check on the internet and one will find a host of complaints relating to this same problem. A recall needs to be issued before someone is injured!

- Corning, NY, USA