CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Veracruz has a minor trend of complaints where the valve cover leaks oil onto the alternator, causing alternator failure. The problem starts with the battery warning light & typically all the other warning lights coming on in quick succession. Luckily, that problem was covered in a 2014 recall.

Overall, It's a solid reliable vehicle with no major problems reported.

2008 Hyundai Veracruz brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Veracruz:

2008 Hyundai Veracruz Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 082016

Veracruz

ESC light and ABS light have come on intermittently since we bought the vehicle in 2010. They usually went back off after stopping the car and shutting off the engine. The other night while driving down a highway at 70mph, those 2 lights and the AWD light came on and are not turning off. Looking on internet, I see these 3 lights coming on is fairly common and can be a safety hazard. Wonering if/when this might be addressed asa recall.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Feb 102016

Veracruz

Problem with ESC and ABS lights on a well maintained 2008 Veracruz with 64K millage. The light turn on and off often when driving.

- Racine, WI, USA

Dec 152015

Veracruz

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. While driving approximately 60 mph, the ABS warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ABS would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,700.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Dec 182015

Veracruz

"ABS failure" and "alternator recall 121" the break, ABS, ESC and chk engine lights all came on and stay on. From time to time the TPMS light will also come on and speedometer will be at zero when driving along the highway. The car will from time to time completely shut down, even while driving along highway, which is a very dangerous situation. Upon further research and diagnostics by Hyundai it seems 2 items are the root cause of the problems, 1) faulty ABS module that was been reported by 100's of people and 2) faulty alternator that affects the loss in power, again with 100's of complaints. There is a recall for alternator but not the ABS module. This is a very expensive repair and with only 70000 miles, this should be replaced/fixed under Hyundai usa warranty.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Dec 102015

Veracruz

The break, ABS, ESC and chk engine light all came on and literally everything shut down. There was no steering (extremely difficult), and worst of all no breaks. I could barely bring the car to a stop with both feet and had to divert my travel into a parking lot to avoid going through a red light. The problem stems from a faulty ABS module and has been reported numerous times on various web sites. The repair is very costly and the consequences are so potentially deadly I can't understand why this has not been a recall item.. please do the driving public a huge favor and investigate this problem. It's not as though Hyundai doesn't know about the problem.

- Eaton, OH, USA

May 312015

Veracruz

The ESC light is constantly illuminated when the car power is on. Rear brake lights intermittently don't come on while driving. Frequently unable to shift the car out of park (which we have to perform manually with a screwdriver and the override switch in the shifter console). Due to previous recalls, we have discontinued using cruise control because we aren't sure whether or not it will disengage when braking. These problems began over 6 months ago. They are very much a safety issue! despite identical problems in nhtsc campaigns for this year/make/model vehicle -- a campaign has not appeared for my vehicle's VIN.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Aug 222015

Veracruz

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. While attempting to shift into the park position, the shift lever seized as the ESC off light and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who made the contact aware of NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic); however, the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 252015

Veracruz

Driving on the road and try to make a left...the ABS, and other lights light up and the engine stall.all assisted power was loss for direction in the middle of the left turn. Coast to the side of the road and restart the engine. Mechanics find brake fluid in the ABS control unit.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Apr 112015

Veracruz

While driving my 2008 Veracruz, the ABS, ESC, and 4WD lights went on, a few minutes later the speedometer registered zero, then worked intermittently. According to my mechanic the source of the problem was the ABS module. The original ABS module became inoperable in March 2015, after approximately 41,000 miles and was replaced once the part became available from Hyundai on 4/9/15. The part was purchased brand new from Hyundai by my mechanic and professionally installed, drove approximately 100 miles before the. According to my mechanic, the ABS module which cost approximately $2,500 and controls the brakes, stability control, speedometer, traction control, etc is only guaranteed by Hyundai for 30 days. Two ABS module failures within a month.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Mar 012014

Veracruz

2008 Veracruz that feels like my brake pedal is grinding and pulsating at speeds less than 20 mph. The brakes grind randomly and kick back towards my foot, and I have to re-brake. It only happens after the car is initially turned off and the first one or two breaks. Then, behaves normally. It will happen several days in a row, several times in a day and/or then could go weeks or months with it not occurring. We did new rear breaks. The dealer said the rotors and pads are find and told me it could be from water or something getting in there randomly (ie. Pollen). I tend to completely disagree as something simple like water would not make this significant of grinding/pulsating so continuously but yet randomly. This becomes very scary continuing to happen because I am wondering if something is about to snap and the breaks will not work or what is happening. I have reviewed several other people with similar complaints online with the Veracruz.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Apr 062015

Veracruz

My ABS, ESC and AWD dash lights illuminated on my 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. Ran codes to find out the rf and lr wheel sensors were giving an error, as well as the brake switch. Checked fittings and found no missed connections with the wheel sensors, and when I started the car back up, all lights on the dash turned off. When the car got up to 30mph, the ESC light started flashing, the AWD light illuminated, and my vehicle acted as if it was driving in heavy snow (stalling, slowing, and acceleration failing). After putting the car in park, turning it off, and starting it back up, all lights were again off. Same issue repeated itself, and then the ABS, ESC and AWD lights illuminated again, and the car drove fine. Took to the dealer to get diagnosed. Fearful of sudden malfunction during expressway driving to cause a serious accident.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Mar 182014

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

The ABS light, ESC light, traction control light, all wheel drive light came on the dash, made appt with dealer (03/25/2015) and was told that I would need left & right side rear wheel speed sensors. The vehicle is a 2008 which was purchased May 2009 and has only 26417 miles on it and was told that it was out of warranty. Bin on the internet and seen that this is a common problem with this car. I am hoping that you will look into this and do something about this. Thank you for any help you can give me and the rest of the owners of this vehicle.

- Rockville Centre, NY, USA

Mar 282015

Veracruz

Started car, ESC off, AWD, and ABS warning lights stayed on. After a few minutes driving there was a whirring noise in the engine compartment on the drivers side. Stepping on the brakes made the noise go away, noise returned when releasing the brakes. Repair shop diagnosed it to be the ABS module which needed to be replaced.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Mar 042015

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

The ABS module is faulty because of the defective wiring harness. The harness is susceptible to live environmental elements especially during winter due to the high salt use on roads especially in the states with harsh winter. This problem creates a safety hazards and render the vehicle operation in a stall mode. Over time it could causes fire hazard, sudden acceleration cruise control lock with no release option that could results in a crash. It could cause other components failures like main PCM module and side modules of the vehicle. The harnesses on the Veracruz are not sealed properly and highly defectives.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Mar 022015

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

Car was driving ok since we have acquired it. No problems, no issues until we had a snow storm when my wife driving home from my children's school the cruise control got stuck and would not release. She put the car in neutral and the engine RPM kept going up. She turned the car off then restarted in 5 mins it was ok with all light in cluster on. Diagnosed the car with wheel speed sensor rr. It drove for 1 hour then all light came back on. Took it to deal for the open recall I found online about my model car. Dealer changed all recall problems but light is on. Now the dealer said no communication to the car's computer can bus. Checked with my local mechanic and said it is the ABS hydraulic pump and module affixed to it. It is shorted out inside and causes interference with the computer system. The cost of parts is well over 2600 plus labor.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jan 022014

Veracruz 6-cyl

I brought my vehicle November 9, 2013. Shortly after buying this vehicle, I have had brakes, pads, rotors, all around the vehicle three times in less than a year. I called the dealership to see if there was a recall on the brakes. I even call the company. I even took it to the dealer ship and they stated that there was nothing wrong with my brakes. That is the fourth incident. I am still having the same problem. Every now and again the brakes act like they do not want to stop and it is dangerous. I am not liking this at all. I have to brake about a thousand feet or more for the vehicle to come to a complete stop. I cannot drive up close behind anyone at times. It is starting to do it more and more an not even the dealership know what is wrong with the brakes. I do not remember the mileage, it was shortly after buying the vehicle. At the time it had over 95,000 miles on it. This is only a guess on mileage.

- Raeford, NC, USA

Jan 132015

Veracruz 6-cyl

We have a well maintained 2008 Hyundai. Like some others we have reported we also have an issue where the ABS, ESC (traction control) and sometimes the park brake lights will illuminate. They will stay on for a while and then turn off again with no rhyme or reason. When the lights are on the traction control and ABS systems are disabled, making the car unsafe to drive. Our car is not old and has been well cared for... it seems ridiculous that this type of issue is occurring.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 162014

Veracruz

All brakes lights came on initially. Then when driving, the car started losing power and stalled. Thankfully I was on a county road with a driveway I was able to exit on. Otherwise on a busy highway it could have been very dangerous. The part that failed was an ABS modulator valve assembly. It cost $2,615.06 to fix. Also, I'm concerned it was replaced with the exact same part, which will most likely fail again! the Hyundai part no. Is: 58910 3J950 hydraulic module.

- Loretto,, MN, USA

Dec 122014

Veracruz 6-cyl

On many occasions, specifically on 8/26/2010 (odo: 16204), 7/29/2013 (odo: 48833), and 12/30/13 (odo: 52877) that are a matter of documentation, among others, I advised Hyundai that I was experiencing a brake problem which I variously described S "squeak, " "shudder, " and "plunk." They were never able to identify the cause of these disturbing sounds until recently, shortly after the expiration of the warranty. Hyundai has now finally identified the problem as replacement of the hecu for the ABS. I talked to the service manager; he said that corrosion had been noted in these units before. This conversation suggests that Hyundai had a body of knowledge concerning the hecu issue. Instead of waiting to "duplicate" the problem, they should have investigated and inspected the hecu while it was still under warranty. Now the problem will cost me $2600.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Veracruz 6-cyl

ABS control module / pump failed while operating the vehicle under normal highway conditions. ABS and ESC disabled and brake lights not operational. Advised by Hyundai dealer to replace the ABS module at a cost of $2,100 for the module (excluding labor).

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA