Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Veracruz has a minor trend of complaints where the valve cover leaks oil onto the alternator, causing alternator failure. The problem starts with the battery warning light & typically all the other warning lights coming on in quick succession. Luckily, that problem was covered in a 2014 recall.

Overall, It's a solid reliable vehicle with no major problems reported.

2008 Hyundai Veracruz steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Veracruz:

2008 Hyundai Veracruz Owner Comments

Jun 142016

Vehicle stopped while driving without warning. Unable to start. Dangerous situation, unable to control vehicle. I was about to enter the interstate and loss power. Had to have the vehicle towed. Had this same issue with the alternator recall. Had to have the vehicle towed to a dealer. Dealer said it was engine failure. No warning lights came on dash, no issues. With the previous alternator recall, oil was dripping onto the alternator and the vehicle shut down while driving. I did not feel safe driving the vehicle as I did not know when this would happen. This vehicle is not safe to drive.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Dec 182015

"ABS failure" and "alternator recall 121" the break, ABS, ESC and chk engine lights all came on and stay on. From time to time the TPMS light will also come on and speedometer will be at zero when driving along the highway. The car will from time to time completely shut down, even while driving along highway, which is a very dangerous situation. Upon further research and diagnostics by Hyundai it seems 2 items are the root cause of the problems, 1) faulty ABS module that was been reported by 100's of people and 2) faulty alternator that affects the loss in power, again with 100's of complaints. There is a recall for alternator but not the ABS module. This is a very expensive repair and with only 70000 miles, this should be replaced/fixed under Hyundai usa warranty.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Jul 252015

Driving on the road and try to make a left...the ABS, and other lights light up and the engine stall.all assisted power was loss for direction in the middle of the left turn. Coast to the side of the road and restart the engine. Mechanics find brake fluid in the ABS control unit.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 292014

Veracruz 6-cyl

The car just failed and did not have power. Lights came on and then car stopped. It is recall 121 from Hyundai but they will not fix the problem because they have no solution. I tried to fix it once before but I was told I had to pay my own bill and they might reimburse me because they have no long term fix for the issue. But my car died because of it and they say that is my problem because I have 151K miles on the car. I spoke to many people at Hyundai and no one would take responsibility. That is crazy that they know it is a problem but will not own up to fixing it for me.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Jul 032013

Veracruz 6-cyl

While exiting the ramp off of I-95 North in ashland, Virginia at about 50 mph, suddenly a couple of dash lights lit up, there was a loud squeal, and I lost power steering. I almost lost control of the vehicle and almost ran off the ramp before bringing the vehicle to a stop. When I took the vehicle in to get it checked, it was determined that a valve cover gasket oil leak (that I had fixed months earlier, along with replacing the alternator it shorted out), had leaked onto both the alternator (shorting it out again), as well as onto the serpentine belt causing the belt to slip in wet weather (the road was wet from rain and water splashed up onto the oily belt), which caused the loss of power steering. It was a very scary, dangerous situation. I have now gone through 3 alternators and two valve cover gasket replacements on this vehicle since the fall of 2011. This model has a serious, dangerous defect and there needs to be a safety recall.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jul 022012

Veracruz 6-cyl

July 2012 - gasket leaked and killed alternator and battery. Car stopped suddenly and needed to be towed to the dealership. Dealer fixed the alternator and gasket but I had to pay for battery. July 2013 - alternator died while driving and battery light came on. I had to pay for alternator change $550 as I was above 60,000 miles.

- Nazareth, PA, USA

Aug 282012

Veracruz 6-cyl Diesel

This car loses power and the ability to control it via power steering, power brakes, and sometimes completely shuts down when operating under rainy conditions and wet roadways. It has happened five times. I have never been traveling at a high rate of speed, but for a split second codes appear and I have no control of the car. There is a moment of panic and then the car comes back to life and everything is operational. The dealer has not been able to diagnose.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Jul 202012

I have a 2008 Veracruz (48K miles) and recently experienced loss of power steering after driving through a puddle (happened twice within a 2 week period). The car could still be steered but with a lot of difficulty. Warning lights came on as if car was stalled but the engine was still running. For both instances, once I pulled the car to the side of the road and put into park, then put back into drive, the steering and car worked fine. I took it to dealer where purchased and they said that they could not duplicate the problem, nothing negative came up on the car's computer indicating a problem and most likely due to the belt slipping when wet. They said that belt was not worn and was at correct tightness. I have not driven through a puddle since, so no repeated experienced yet. I notice other people reporting similar problems with several other Hyundai models.

- Brick, NJ, USA