2001 Hyundai XG300 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Hyundai XG300:

2001 Hyundai XG300 Owner Comments

Oct 112001

Note - reported airbag failure earlier, this is an additional problem. On Oct 11th, during a rain storm two dogs walked into the roadway in front of my car. I hit the brakes, and had plenty of pedal yet the car continued onward. My initial reaction was that I had plenty of time to stop but quickly it became apparent that I could not. I attempted to swerve to the right hopeing that I would slow the vehicle enough to go around the dogs. The car barely slowed and I continued off the roadway striking a pole perhaps 100 feet off of the roadway. At the time I was most bothered by the airbag failure wich I reported earlier. Though I could not understand my failure to stop, I did not report it as a brake failure because I had plenty of pedal at the time, nor to be honest did I hear the sound of tires sliging on the pavement. Frankly, I could not explain my failure to stop. When the car was sent in for repairs the traction ccontrol light would not go off. After all body work was completed the car was taken back to covington pike Hyundai, the dealer from whom I bought the car for inspection. At that time they replaced the "traction control" module under warranty. When the car was finally returned to me, the brakes generally worked as expected. However, the first time it rained I hit the brakes again in a panic stop at only about ten miles per hour and immediately the car went into a skid. It was actually like being on ice. Upon return to the dealer they tested the vehicle repeatedly. On one occasion the mechanic even admitted that the vehicle turned completely sideways during one panic stop. The sliding was particularly obvious when the streets were wet. The dealer finally found that of the six brake lines going into the antilock brake module, only two were in the correct fittings (the rear were completely reversed). The mechanic, Mr. Joe griffin, assures me that this was a problem "from the factory" in that they had to actually use tube benders to correct the problem.

- Atoka, TN, USA

Jun 052001

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- Ridgefield Park, NJ, USA

Jan 182002

Consumer attempted to the apply the brakes, when the vehicle suddenly accelerated, consumer was unable to stop vehicle, vehicle hit a telephone pole, driver suffered head injuries, and passenger sustained a broken shoulder and ribs.

- Redding, PA, USA