NHTSA — Steering: Rack And Pinion Problems

1998 Isuzu Amigo steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Isuzu Amigo:

1998 Isuzu Amigo Owner Comments

Nov 101998

Amigo 4WD

My 1998 Isuzu Amigo has pulled to the right and vibrates at highway speeds since I purchased it. It has been in the shop seven (?) times and if anything, is worse than when I purchased it. The first time I brought it in for the pulling problem, the service advisor (melissa) told me it was supposed to pull to the right, because "the four-wheel drive stuff is in the right hub". subsequent trips yielded no fix with the service department saying that they had; done a front-end alignment, balanced the wheels, rotated the wheels, and put on new tires. My advisor, "rob" along with the Isuzu mechanic, "mark" have told me that Isuzu knows there is a problem with the vehicles but that they are unable to fix some of them. This week, my Amigo is going in once again, this time to have what I was told is a "spring kit" installed on the rack and pinion steering. The vibration problem is very noticeable and occurs at highway speeds. The steering wheel vibrates as does the whole truck. A great deal of "feedback" is also evident through the steering wheel when passing over rough roads. There is a major problem here and nobody at Isuzu seems able to fix this truck.

- Troy, NY, USA