NHTSA — Steering Problems

2001 Jaguar S-Type steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jaguar S-Type:

2001 Jaguar S-Type Owner Comments

Feb 182014

S-Type 6-cyl

Unusual noise was coming from front suspension and steering was like loose, I was going 40mph on 2 way road than I hit road bump and car just went to left by self and I almost hit the car coming from opposite way. Back in December 2013 I took car to shop to get alignment done and the tech told me there is something loose on suspension and he have to charge me 125 dollars extra to get alignment done. After that car was fine for driving than the noise comes back again.this car is unsafe to drive and I don't know what to do. I will take it again to shop but I don't thrust it any more.I don't know if there is any recall on this vehicle to make it safe for driving.feels like all front end is falling apart.

- Garland, TX, USA

Apr 222010

Making a left turn in a Jaguar 2001 S type, the steering wheel lost all power and crashed into the median. Bounced off the median into the street and crashed into a passing vehicle.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 132008

Jaguar 2001 S-type had a severe steering problem in October 2008. I took it to an alignment specialist who concluded that it could not be safely driven at all, until the front lower steering arm, sway bar link, steering knuckle and tie rod were replaced. In November 2000, shortly after manufacture, Jaguar recalled all vins of this model and year from L00001 to L92349. My vehicle has a VIN outside this range, so was not part of recall. Authorized dealer failed to advise of problem although vehicle was regularly serviced there from 2004 to present, most recently in October 2008 shortly before this incident. Jaguar and its authorized dealer refuse to compensate me for repairs required and performed as described above. Old parts may yet be available.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Jan 012006

When I bought the car a week later it blew hot air, I was told it only needed freon. I found out later that there was a leak and it is $1200. A week after that the car would not start the dealer picked the car up and said that the battery was dead because I left the radio on, it has happened over 30 times, not true there is something wrong. I have replaced tires at least six times. Tires completely separate. I was driving and car slowed down on freeway and I was almost hit, I pulled over and it stopped and did it again and I had to push the traction control button, almost cost me my life! it now happens when I hit a bump. When I turn the car makes a extremely loud noise, (embarrassing) I was told it is a ball joint and can catch on fire. Engine light has always been on and is now blinking and the car shakes and hesitates. I had to pay to get the brakes fixed 2 months after purchasing. Radio turns on for no reason and runs battery down. I was told I have two leaks in my shocks and it is $1800 each. When I back up and turn the steering wheel vibrates. I can't even use the cigarette lighter to charge my cell because it does not work and has been replaced twice. The remote just stop working and I was charged $100 to reconfigure. The brakes act funny, can't even explain it. This car is unreal, a complete piece of junk. I can't even remember half the stuff I have endured and the money I have spent.

- Houston, TX, USA