NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2004 Jaguar S-Type engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jaguar S-Type:

2004 Jaguar S-Type Owner Comments

Apr 162009

S-Type

I saw on the news today how a lady was entering a restaurant parking lot and her vehicle sudden lurched forward and caused her to crash into a fence. Well if the car was a Jaguar S type I'm sure the company would tell her what they told me. There is nothing wrong with the car. I had 2004 Jaguar S type twice the car lurched forward when I was pulling into a parking spot. I had both feet on the brake and I was shifting through the gears to get the car to stop. In one incident the car stopped about 5ft. Into the spot in front of me. In the second incident I did the same thing and the car finally stopped when the car got hung up on the curb. I filled a report with Jaguar in New Jersey and they said my only recourse was to file an insurance claim"??" I brought the car to two dealers and was told they were told by Jaguar not to touch the car because that would mean that Jaguar was at fault. I had to trade in the car because every time I came to a stop, I didn't know if I was going to crash into the car in front of me. There are numerous reference to my incident on the web under Jaguar lurch. Jaguar should be made accountable and made to fix the problem which they say does not exist. Thanks.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Apr 062007

S-Type 8-cyl

Parking brake failure, disc not availabe and engine failed. All these indicators came on one after the other and the brakes would not stop the car, nor would the car accelerate. The car leaped forward and then slowed to a stop on its own. Dealer stated they repaired the recall items and could not state why the problem persistsed it happened three times, and the vehiclewas still covered by full factory warranty.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Mar 142005

S-Type 6-cyl

2004 Jaguar S type. The consumer states the vehicle cuts off when driving. It has been to the dealership a number of times. When getting ready to take off it will not accelerate. This has caused a minor accident. There were no injuries, and minor damage to the bumper. Vehicle will operate 3-4 weeks and then it will cut off. There is no warning that this is going to happen. The dealership replaced two sensors. The vehicle sunvisor broke. The coolant pump outlet hose had to be replaced. The restricted performance light illuminated, the dealer had to order a new intake air box. The electrically operated front seat runner and motor assembly failed. The vehicle stopped suddenly while the consumer was driving damaging the rear bumper. The consumer later received a recall for the electronic parking brake. The consumer request that the manufacturer replaced the rear bumper and the rear brake pads and rotors due to excessive wear.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 112004

S-Type 6-cyl

Vehicle experienced sudden acceleration when the brake pedal was applied. Taken to the dealer 4 times, but the cause was undetermined. Dealer blames the consumer for the failure.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA