NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2005 Jaguar S-Type electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jaguar S-Type:

2005 Jaguar S-Type Owner Comments

Aug 172016

The contact owns a 2005 Jaguar S-type. While driving in the rain, the rear wheels seized and the parking brake light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed and not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V488000 (parking brake). The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Dec 302014

Initially while being parked in Dec. 2014, I started the car but could not release the electronic park brake. I had to drive it to a mechanic 3 miles away with the brakes smoking. They saw a procedure for resetting the park brake and gave me a copy. All was well for 2 mos. But driving along about 30mph they suddenly locked. I was able to pull over and fortunately had been carrying tools for this and performed the procedure. It happened two more times in 2015 after I was stopped with engine off. I called Jaguar and they said there is no recall, but I have been afraid to drive it long distances and do not want to sell it as it is a serious safety concern. Jaguar offered to look at it but I know all about that and what it could cost, especially when it does not always happen. Note: See enclosed documents for 2004, but I have supposedly a 2005 with this issue.

- Warrington, PA, USA

Jul 212014

S-Type 8-cyl

I was driving, and I smelled smoke so I decided to pull over. Upon closer examination I discovered that the smoke was coming from the garage door opener, which I never use! when I touched the cover for the garage door opener it was hot. Within a few minutes my car was filled with smoke, and a small fire began to burn in the top center console containing the garage door opener. I opened all the door windows, and also the sunroof to clear the interior of my car of the smoke. I managed to put the fire out by taking a sip of water from a bottle, and spitting it on the fire!

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

May 152013

S-Type 6-cyl

The control module in my car has gone out costing over 2,000 to repair. There are several websites dedicated to the malfunction. Which causes significant problems with heat and air conditioning.

- St. Ann, MO, USA

Aug 072006

S-Type 8-cyl

My wife and I were given a replacement Jaguar S-type on 05/03/2005 by smith co. Motor cars of charleston, wv. After they were unable to repair a Jaguar X-type that we had bought on 08/26/2004. We then moved to California in 06/2005 and my husband drove the car cross-country to ca without any problems. On 08/05/2005 the car was first presented for a scheduled 10,000 mile maintenance to Jaguar of South bay, 3111 pacific coast highway, torrance, ca. Since then, the car has been returned to them for more than 8 (eight) times, without satisfactory repair. Problems include: Faulty gas tank latch, rhs exhaust hanging lower and scraping pavement, hard transmission shifts, faulty remote transmitter, judder from steering wheel, knocking noise from the engine that ran sluggish, replaced rack & pinion several times, car out of alignment, injectors dirty, rhs lug nut broken because of, according to tech., non lubrication at factory, jerky gear shifting from 3rd. To 4th. Gears, creaking noise in sunroof and headliner, faulty cd player, faulty power steering pump, faulty air bag light on dash, faulty passenger side fog lamp, faulty rack and pinion valve, leaking washer fluid reservoir, no warnings or messages during these malfunctions from dash instruments, except air bag lamp, faulty bluetooth hands free, etc.etc. We had told the techs. That both my wife and I have experienced total loss of steering control over 5 times and finally on 08/07/2006, I again loss total control and the car hit into the guard rail and scraped the whole of the rhs of the vehicle. Jaguar would not even give me the free tow that I was entitled to when I called them to inform of the accident and I had to drive the car to my house. I had both my kids ( son 31/2 yrs. Old and daughter 4 months old) in the car with me. On 05/10/2006, we hired an attorney who is still negotiating with Ford Motor Co. Who have taken over Jaguar.

- Lomita, CA, USA