2002 Jaguar X-Type transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jaguar X-Type:

2002 Jaguar X-Type Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012009

X-Type

I purchased my 2002 Jaguar X-type in April 2002 new. It had surges, and stalls. I asked the service dept to add remarks, it once stopped in the highway right in front of a semi truck, with no warning. This was very shortly after I purchased the vehicle. Since I cashed in my company 401K and paid cash for the car, I kept trying to drive it and deal with the problems, and it has had very many. Now at just over 59,000 miles I have been told it needs a new transmission, water pump, vacuum leaks on the engine, and so on. The estimate for repairs is approximately the car's total blue book value. Again, just as I pulled out into traffic, gearbox fault error came on, and the car would barely crawl out of the way of incoming cars. Is there anything you can do to assist? based on numerous searches, Jaguar should have recalled this vehicle. It has a terrible safety history. I am a single parent with a son in college and now face adding to our home mortgage just to repair the car. I would take full responsibility for making an unwise purchase, however, Jaguar knows fully this vehicle is extremely defective. Thank you very much vehicle currently located at leith Inc. 700 autopark blvd cary, nc 27511 919 469-2699.

- Garner, NC, USA

Jan 122008

X-Type

The contact owns a 2002 Jaguar X-type. While accelerating from 25 to 70 mph, the contact noticed that the gear box fault indicator began illuminating on the instrument panel. She then heard a grinding noise, which caused her to stop at a traffic light and turn off the vehicle. When she restarted the vehicle, the gear box fault indicator stopped illuminating and the grinding noise ceased. She continued to drive the vehicle throughout the day and returned to her residence. Four days later, the warning indicator and grinding noise failures recurred. The vehicle began decelerating on its own and she repeated the actions from the previous failure; however, the gear box fault indicator would not stop illuminating. Approximately two minutes later, while driving 25 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road and towed to the dealer. The contact was informed that the fifth gear shaft and transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and informed her that they were not liable for the repairs. The current and failure mileages were 60,589.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jan 162009

X-Type

My car is a 2002 Jaguar X-type. My transmission went completely out Friday morning. Luckily, I was able to move it to the side of the road without being injured. My car only has 60,589 miles on it"! what cars transmission gives out at such low mileage? not forgetting the expense to replace it. The economy right now is not the best and 1 car for two working individuals is not an option...can you help us? I want Jaguar to pay this. I did not purchase an extended warranty because with all my other cars I have never needed to. I take good care of my cars with oil changes, fluids topped off, new brakes and tires when needed??!! Jaguar wants to charge me $7,100 to replace this. I found a mechanic to put a used one in with 43,000 miles on it for half that but what guarantees do I have that one will not give out? this is supposed to be a luxury car???" thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Nov 302008

X-Type

We recently took our 2002 Jaguar X-type to the dealer for inspection after the transmission seemed to be slipping during acceleration. The dealer recommended replacement of the transmission and shifter - a $6500 repair. After some research we located NHTSA service bulletin 10012396. Jaguar technical bulletin jatco jf506E - service action S941, which acknowledges that the our transmission was faulty from the outset. Our VIN number and our transmission serial number fall within the range listed in the bulletin and should be replaced by the dealer. Jaguar is refusing to replace the part, although they know it is faulty. This is an ongoing problem. Please take a look at these complaints. It's time for Jaguar to take responsibility for this issue.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Mar 082002

X-Type

The contact owns a 2002 Jaguar X-type. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated without pressure being applied to the accelerator pedal. The contact attempted to depress the brake pedal, but the vehicle would not slow down. She swayed across the road and crashed into the curb to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was damaged and taken to an authorized dealer for repairs. There were no warning indicators prior to this failure. The insurance company was notified of this incident. Recently, the transmission failed at low mileage and has not yet been replaced. The VIN was verified, but appears to be invalid. The failure mileage was 5,000 and current mileage was 31,000.

- Los Angles, CA, USA

Apr 242008

X-Type 6-cyl

I just bought a 2002 Jaguar X-type from the woodbridge auto auction in Virginia two days ago. The transmission is giving me problems and needs to be replaced. I looked on-line for consumer complaints regarding the Jaguar's transmission and there are plenty. Jaguar should recall these cars and replace the transmissions. The Japanese manufacturer currently making the transmissions for Jaguar are making unsafe transmissions. Its time for Jaguar to take responsibility for their product and recall these calls and replace these transmissions.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 172008

X-Type 6-cyl

Jatco jf506E transmission is a known defective issue with a rotor or plate that cracks and ruins the whole transmission costing thousands of dollars. There was a noticeable slip occurring intermittently and has caused a failure. Jaguar never warned it's customers of this issue when they found out 4 years ago or more never calling for a recall. There has been thousands of reports on this issue and is very hazardous to the consumer. When driving it can slip not go into gear and cause a major accident. There are three components to the Jaguar 2002 X-type which is european, american, and Japanese parts. This I asked the dealer to specifically tell me if the parts were european and he explained this are all Ford parts so it won't cost that much to fix things. A blatant lie which was sold to the masses, very disturbing that they knew of this issue with a plate which cracks after overheated and causes the transmission to slip and fail. The jatco jf506E is a Mazda part in a Jaguar which is very strange and confusing let alone very dangerous. It stalled out and slipped the other day almost resulting into a very serious accident and when I read about the issues and the complaints by hundreds if not thousands, this should be a recall by Jaguar. When I told them that I noticed a problem with the shifting, they said it was normal. They knew exactly what the problem was and waited till everyone was out of a warranty so they wouldn't have to fix it or deal with the issues which are life threatening.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 282007

X-Type 4WD 6-cyl

I have owned my 2002 X-type since April of 04 and it was purchased from crown Jaguar as a certified pre-owned car. Like many other compliants to this site and others my transmission failed with 115,000 miles. While I'm lucky compared to some owners I'm still amazed that it would fail so quickly. The cost of the repair is 7K. Hopefully someone will look at this problem because a lot of people are getting the short end of the stick with Jaguar.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Jan 092008

X-Type 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission was slipping during first, I was told it was adjusted. Transmission failure at 40,000 miles.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Nov 052007

X-Type 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jaguar X-type. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer because it would jerk. She suspected the cause of the failure was the transmission. The dealer replaced the transmission. While attempting to park the vehicle a day later, it spun out of control and the front driver side tire blew out. She notified the dealer. The vehicle jerked violently and almost crashed into an oncoming vehicle. Roadside assistance was called to take the vehicle back to the dealer. The contact informed the dealer that they did not correct the failure. The vehicle is currently at the shop and is still under warranty. She stated that the mechanic replaced her original owner's manual with one for a 2003 Jaguar X-type. Ford Motor Company and Jaguar motor company have not been notified. The failure mileage was 79,085 and current mileage was 87,800. Updated 04-11-08 updated

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 102006

X-Type 6-cyl

Automatic transmission began dropping gears, beginning with top gear, working its way down till the transmission would no longer pull the vehicle. After the first gear dropped, "gearbox fault" came up in the driver information display. After researching this matter, it appears that Jaguar has a serious defect with these transmissions, as most X-type transmissions fail at 50,000 miles. Jaguar (corporate) refused to reply to both verbal and written inquiries. Total cost new was $7,700 for replacement, rebuilt was $2,900. Jaguar obviously knows of the defect, as it was covered in their tsb's.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Sep 102003

X-Type 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jaguar X-type. The contact stated that she always noticed white smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle. During that time, she also noticed that the engine light was illuminated on the instrument panel and she smelled something burning. She took the vehicle to a local dealer and they stated that the smoke was not problematic. After a year of complaining about the smoke, the contact began experiencing failure with the gear box and noticed that the gear box fault light was illuminated. She then took the vehicle to another dealer and they replaced the transmission. She does not remember what caused the transmission to fail or the specific failures she experienced with the gear box. The failure mileage was 69,000 and current mileage was 75,000.

- Freemount, CA, USA

Aug 292007

X-Type

I would like to post a similar complaint to notify other consumers who owns a Jaguar X-type 2002. In August 29 2007, on my way to work the car wouldn't accelerate more that 30 miles per hour. I drove back home and I had the car towed to the nearest Jaguar dealership. I had to replace the transmission for a cost of $5,400 with 59,000 miles. The first 4 years, I made several visits to the dealer to fix an engine light problem, fuel leak, reported a squeaky sound coming from the brakes (@ 10,000 miles Jaguar told me I needed new brakes pads for a cost $1,200, ). the radio speakers stopped working and I was told it was normal wear and tear and it will cost me $ 900 to fix it.

- North Arlington, NJ, USA

Aug 092007

X-Type 6-cyl

In March of this year I bought a 2002 Jaguar X-type 3.0 sport with only 40,123 miles on it. Since then I have only put on six thousand miles. Just last week my transmission suddenly went into high revs on upshifts and sever jerks and then failure. All in one day with no warning at all. The vehicle has expired its factory warranty only by time and not mileage. I find this unacceptable, especially at the response of, that will cost about $7,000 to fix. That's half the value of the car! I have contacted Jaguar' usa customer service center in NJ three times and they will not stand behind their product and will not offer any assistance what so ever. I basically got a, sorry, and such is life response. I am currently waiting to speak with a supervisor. I have been searching the internet and have found numerous reviews and comments of exactly the same problem, the transmission failure. Some have commented on failure at 15,000 miles 35,000 miles 40, and 50 thousand miles. The comments are all the same and not hard to find, I cannot understand how this is not acknowledged and fixed. I cannot afford to fix my car, I have nothing else to drive, and I would lose so much just to trade it in on another car. I can supply many, many complaints of the same problem at the drop of a hat. I feel legal action is necessary to fix this problem. Please help the hard working common man.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

May 212007

X-Type 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jaguar X-type. The contact stated that the vehicle fails to shift into reverse. The vehicle is currently at the shop. The dealer stated that the vehicle needs a new transmission. The current mileage is 64,783 and failure mileage was 64,763.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 262007

X-Type 4WD 6-cyl

Gear box fault light comes on while driving and complete loss of power. Jaguar replaced transmission with brand new one. Not 90 days later brand new transmission does same exact thing. Third transmission Y being installed at Jaguar, now im afraid of this vehicle. Some one is going to get hurt or killed if on high way.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Mar 202007

X-Type 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jaguar X-type. While driving 60 mph, a warning indicator illuminated on the dashboard. The dealer diagnosed the failure as the transmission, and stated that it needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 31450.

- Chaplin, MN, USA

Nov 042006

X-Type 6-cyl

At only 46,000 miles, vehicle suffered catastrophic transmission failure, resulting in estimates ranging from $8000 (Jaguar rebuilt) to $3000 (local rebuild) for repairs. Car was, according to dealer, out of warranty by registration date, leaving me with the entire rebuild bill. Jaguar knows about the problem of X-type transmissions failing and refuses to address the situation. Emails and letters sent to Jaguar hq have all gone unanswered. Since I received the vehicle, the transmission has been replaced, headlight washer covers have both blown off during use, sunroof has failed, both front seats rock (Jaguar has a tsb out on this but fails to recall), mysterious dsc failures and many fit and finish issues (dash pad warping, paint issues, etc.).

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 052006

X-Type 6-cyl

This regards transmission failure of 2002 X type with 62,000. I am original owner and have had error messages and lurching from the transmission, with Jaguar returning the vehicle indicating no problems. The internet is full of complaints with low mileage and complaints like mine.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 212006

X-Type

While driving home from work at night at about 30 mph the transmission started to slip then the car stopped moving at all even though the engine was running and in gear. I work in an old industrial part of town and not a place to break down after dark and was very lucky a policeman happened by almost immediately and waited until a tow truck came. I called the Jaguar dealer about it and was told there is a lot of problems with the 02 X types and he thinks since Ford is in such bad shape, Jaguar is not covering these out of warranty even though this is a known defect. I ended up having the car towed to a transmission shop I trust and he also was aware of the problems these X-types were having with the transmissions. It cost me $4,500 to have the transmission rebuilt on a car with 55,000 miles on it. A little research on the internet shows a lot of people having problems with their transmissions on the 02 X-type and Jaguar/Ford is doing nothing to cover the problem after the factory warranty is up.

- St. Louis, MO, USA