NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline: Storage: Tank Assembly Problems

2004 Jaguar X-Type fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jaguar X-Type:

2004 Jaguar X-Type Owner Comments

Apr 152004

X-Type 6-cyl

I leased a new 2004 Jaguar X type from shelton Jaguar in naples, Florida in late March. I noticed a shudder in the steering wheel and went into the dealership to report it. I spoke to the service manager on April 15th and he said that it was normal for this type of vehicle. Later the same day, as I was turning left at an intersection, I heard a loud bang and it sounded like something dropped off the bottom of my vehicle. I stopped and looked under the car and saw a large piece of metal dragging from my car to the pavement. A policeman came along and made me move my car into a nearby parking lot. I did so with great reservations because the dragging metal was making sparks as I drove. When the policeman looked under my car in the parking lot, he said that the gas tank had fallen and was resting on the piece of metal that was dragging on the ground. I called Jaguar roadside service and they sent a flatbed truck, who refused to load my car because it was too dangerous. The dealership was closed so Jaguar told me to leave my vehicle in the parking lot and take a cab home, which I did. The next morning I called the dealership and they recovered my car. They repaired it but I wanted a new car as I was worried about the safety of driving this one. They refused to give me one. It was in their shop for a week and they had to replace the driveshaft as well as secure the brace for the gas tank.

- Naples, FL, USA