5.0

1. c-rok steering box brace and welding frame (1 reports)
1997 Jeep Cherokee steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Jeep Cherokee:

1997 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

May 182012

Cherokee Sport 4.0L V6

Had wheels balanced 3 times and front end alignment done, and at 60mph the steering wheel would vibrate excessively and get worse the faster you go. My mechanic put it on the lift and we could see cracks in the frame around the steering box. I ordered a C-Rok brace (google it) $100, and had it installed and the frame welded for $300. The problem is mostly gone.

If I was buying a 97 Cherokee, I would certainly drive it on the highway and check under the car by the steering box, before I bought the Jeep.

- , Morristown, NJ, USA

Oct 192005

Cherokee Laredo

The jeep shakes vigorously when I reach about 55-60 miles per hour. It used to only shake at 80 miles per hour. What's wrong with it? I'd like to know before I go to a repair shop.

- , Atlanta, Gerogia, USA