5.0

1. hit top of dashboard (1 reports)
  2. honk the horn twice (1 reports)
  4. restarting the car sometimes works (1 reports)
1998 Jeep Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Jeep Cherokee:

1998 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 012008

Cherokee Sport 4.0L

This is happening with my 4wd jeep, my air bag light comes on and then all my gauges die, and I believe I'm coming close to finding the root of the problem as each time my gauges die out i start to have problems with the ignition. It could be an open wire causing the battery to drain?

I will note that back in october 2009 her battery finally died and just before passing the gauges kept dieing out more and more, once the battery was replaced the gauges stopped dieing out less and less to the point i can say now that it hasn't happened since december 2009.

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 012000

Cherokee Sport 4.0L

I own 2 jeep cherokees and my 2 wd jeep's gas gauge is the only one that dies out, it's rare and doesn't seem to be related to anything, however i did add a complaint about my 4wd jeep she seems to have alot more problems with the dash.

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 012004

Cherokee

Every once in a while when driving the airbag light turns on and the gauges do not work. When this happens the mileage does not record. We found out that by hitting the horn lightly two times the gauges will work again. Not a big deal, but annoying.

- , Universal City, Texas, USA

May 112006

Cherokee

The gauges on the dashboard sometimes don't work. It started with just the gas gauge showing empty even with gas and now every now and again none of them work.

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA