1999 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Jeep Cherokee:

1999 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Mar 142014

Cherokee Sport 2.5L Diesel

broke down on motorway, it would restart but police said I need to have it picked up and taken off motorway in case it happens again

- , Colchester, Essex, UK

Aug 122009

Cherokee Sport

My Jeep has stalled out on me while driving 6 times in the last 3 months. Usually it has restarted immediately but was quite scary in the middle of high traffic and also once on a highway on ramp. I have had it in the repair shop 3 times and nothing ever shows up on the computer scan (it says it's running perfect). My mechanic is very trustworthy and does not want to do repairs if he's not sure that it is the problem. The last time it was in (before this time) he said we could try and pick up coil (or ignition control module), he said 9x out of 10 that is usually the problem. He only charged me $117 and I was hopeful that the problem would not occur again. Well it did. It was the middle of the night, I don't have a cell phone and it would not restart. I had to walk 4 miles to get home. The next morning I got a ride to the vehicle and it started after my friend jiggled a few within 2 blocks of my house and it died friend pushed it the rest of the way home. Got it restarted the next morning and took it into my mechanic (who luckily is only a few blocks away) and he cannot find the problem again.

I have seen numerous complaints about stalling on jeeps (with various year,make and models) and unfortunately no solutions posted. I called Jeep and they won't even look at helping unless I take it to a Jeep dealer which I can't afford....all I want is to know what my mechanic needs to replace so I don't have to worry about this issue again...any ideas?

- , Canton, OH, USA