2.3

2001 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Jan 312013

Cherokee

Slowly loosing antifreeze, antifreeze mixed with oil. Found to be cracked head, apparently a common issue with this vehicle. Replaced head. A few months after replacement of head, started to loose antifreeze again replaced head again in Nov 2014. Had vehicle back for one week, lost all antifreeze, mixed with oil again. Have been told that 2000 and 2001 Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee have a very high rate of this happening. There should be a recall.

- Prospect, CT, USA

Jul 212014

Cherokee

After loosing coolant at about a 1/2 per week, finally decided to pull the head and check to see if it has the famous Jeep 4.0L, 0331 head casting and is known to be weak. Yep, I have the bad head with cracks. There should be a recall for this as it has a high failure rate.....

- Marshall, VA, USA

Sep 092013

Cherokee

Car will not start on the first try, and when I did get it running the check engine light was on. Took it to a mechanic when we started the car the engine light was out and when he put the tester on it pulled no codes and no monitors. Said they had all been erased. I have had the car stall on my when sitting still, the chime works intermittently when you put the key in the ignition, the head lights will sometime stay on and sometimes turn off rightaway when you shut the car off.

- Washington , PA, USA

Oct 252012

Cherokee 6-cyl

Started noticing loss of oil pressure and then coolant. The engine continues to run fine but has gotten to the point that its losing 1 gallon of anti. Every two weeks or so. When I started to look around on line and other places, (junk yards) everyone I talked to says they have had the same problem with their Jeep. Why if D.C. produced these faulty heads on their Jeep didn't they recall them to fix?

- Creston, OH, USA