CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee brakes problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 012016

Cherokee

Reference to recall notice S55/NHTSA 16V-529: Transaxle wire harness; it has been three -to- four months since I had been notified of the recall concerns. The dealership has failed to correct the problem.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 012014

Cherokee

The car experiences jerky shifts, is very inconsistent when it does shift, and has a lag in acceleration. It does not feel safe to drive because I can't prepare for when it will shift. If I am stopping at a light, it often times will lunge forward - which is dangerous if there is a pedestrian crossing or someone in front of me. If I am at a stop light, and accelerating, the shift between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is extremely slow, and then has a hard lunge forward. The dealership says they do not have a solve for it, and Jeep won't acknowledge there's a problem. The value of the car has also dropped significantly so I can't get rid of it, without being upside down on what I owe.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Oct 262016

Cherokee

The Jeep stalls while in motion. The vehicle lurches/jerks forward around 8 miles per hour and 30 miles per hour.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Sep 032016

Cherokee

Transmission skips gears and sometimes is extremely slow to start getting the car going (acceleration) (every road including when you are stationary. The body of the car continuously shakes if you are driving on a smooth road (like you can hear the body of the car (highway, city, straight and turning) when backing up, the car will break immediatley if there is nothing in the way causing a serious safety hazard. (backing up, or driving in the city it will break and I can't override the system making it very easy for someone to rear end you) this vehicle needs to be deemed unsafe to drive and recalled.

- Blue Ridge, GA, USA

Oct 072016

Cherokee

Vehical has lost power 4 times while driving. Almost causeing a collision with the vehical behind me. Vehical was diagnosed by private mechanic dealership does not have any available appointments and parts are not available at this time to correct the recall. This vehical is unsafe to drive and has been reported to Jeep but they cannot help till it is diagnosed with a certified Jeep mechanic

- N Cape May, NJ, USA

Nov 222013

Cherokee

I was driving on a highway. I made a complete stop at the traffic light when red. On green traffic signal, the car placed itself into no motion. The car activated the following warning lights: Parking brake, service engine, stability control, and the monitor displayed service transmission. This problem has been repetitive along with a cat purr during acceleration since first day of new purchase.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Jul 292016

Cherokee

Car cut off while driving clunk when putting into reverse or drive has delayed acceleration sometimes no acceleration car radio does not come on at all or the screen freezes traction control goes on and of on its own alternator not charging properly owned the vehicle for about a month and half I expressed concerns when I first test drove the car my dealer told me he would send the car to Jeep I bought it from a Chevy dealer with about 34,200 miles as I said owned the car less than 2 months hawthorne Chevrolet has sent my vehicle to Jeep been without for over a week have not even made 1st payment yet contacted Jeep corporate I have a case # 3009-95-39 but still no satifaction

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Apr 122016

Cherokee

Loss of motor power causing error codes and the shut down of vehicle. Vehicle sometimes restarts but often does not. This occurs while vehicle is in motion. Vehicle has been brought back to dealer 4 different times since April 1016 and still not being fixed. I received a recall notice and dealer stated parts currently not available anywhere to repair issue.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Sep 212016

Cherokee

On two separate occasions, both while reversing and driving the car forward, a message has suddenly appeared on my dash forcing my car to be put in park, that the car is not able to be in drive, and the transmission needs serviced. After this event, the check engine light appears on my dash for at least a couple of hours and then disappears.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 132016

Cherokee

There have been several recalls on my vehicle since purchasing it almost 2 years ago. I've had to be inconveniently placed in a rental a couple times and pay a deposit out of pocket for something that wasn't even my fault. I contacted the dealer days after purchasing it to express my dissatisfaction, they were very unhelpful. One month after purchasing it is when I started needing to get the vehicle serviced several times. This latest recall, I have reached out to the dealer and the "earliest" appointment isn't until November. I called NHTSA customer service today to see if they could "speed up the process" but they too were very unhelpful. The person I spoke with expressed that the parts needed to fix this recall were all sold out and she wasn't sure when the parts would be coming in. Now, I am stuck in an unsafe, faulty vehicle until it can get serviced to this recall. In the safety recall notice it states in bold, "the loss of motive power could cause a crash without warning." Driving this vehicle in the condition that it's in and the potential safety hazard is life threatening. What exactly am I supposed to do now? I use this vehicle everyday and I am not the only passenger in it. I've contacted NHTSA before and submitted documentation of all the services the vehicle has had, and nothing was resolved on my behalf. I'm surprised legal action hasn't been presented to the manufacturer for these recalls and poor quality vehicles.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012016

Cherokee

When at an average rate of speed (55mph) while driving on a curve (there is a bump in the road at the spot I am referring to), when the Jeep hits it, it has a death wobble in the front end!!! cruise control speeds up on a very small decline in the road every time used!!! from a stop, the car has a hard shift when beginning to press accelerator!!! hands free voice gets my voice request wrong almost every time!!!

- Heber City, UT, USA

Aug 302016

Cherokee

While driving on the interstate, the lights for electric stability control, engine and park brake came on. The "service transmission" notice and "service park brake" appeared. Then the vehicle would not accelerate and would get to 4 RPM while going at 50 mph. Bad jumping, lurching, banging when shifting gears or accelerating from a stop.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 222016

Cherokee

Driving home from the store the transmission kicked into first gear with no warning. Was unable to get out of first gear and almost caused an accident. Scared and being terrified of the incident pulled off the road. After restarting was still not able to get out of first gear. Odd cause I've owned my 2014 Jeep Cherokee less then a year and has less then 55,000 miles on it. Took it into Chrysler dealership and after finally looking at it a week later said the internal transmission censor wiring harness has a shortage. This could of killed my family as this is similar to recall code S55 that was just opened by NHTSA reference#16V529000. Only difference in that code and mine is mine gets stuck in first gear and won't come out of first gear. They didn't care that my family could of died. No sorry no nothing just said it's not under the power train warranty cause it's the harness although that's was ceased the transmission the safety of my family. It's unexceptable and I hope I can get an investigation on this. I know lives are at stake cause mine was put on the line due to bad product or defected product.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Aug 172016

Cherokee

Vehicle has been serviced multiple times for transmission not shifting, shifting hard enough to lose traction, and shifting into neutral at random. Transmission is still not fixed nor functioning properly. This also triggers the stability control to malfunction and lose control on slippery surfaces. Now the four wheel drive feature is broken and not functioning as well. Dealer has had the vehicle more than 6 times in the past 8 weeks, and several times prior in the two years before. This vehicles transmission is a huge safety and loss of vehicle control issue.

- St Johns, MI, USA

Aug 142016

Cherokee

I have had multiple instances of the transmission falling out of gear and losing all power. In order to get any acceleration I have to restart the car multiple times. At this point I will be unable to get above 5-10 mph. When shifting between gears during these instances the car will jerk violently as I shift between P R N & D. on one occasion the car accelerated in reverse when the dash shows that I was in D. in every instance this has occurred while I was driving the vehicle. Multiple times both on the freeway and on city streets. When the issue occurs my check engine, service transmission, service parking brake, and traction control lights come on. The issue is not affected by speed, turning, etc. I currently have a replacement transmission in the car and have had it into two different dealerships multiple times for this issue and am still experiencing the problem. I have taken video records of the latest instances and shown the service advisors.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 212016

Cherokee

Purchased vehicle for flat towing behind motorhome. At speed, car steering is affected and causes car to shake violently as well as motorhome.condition has occurred several times while flat towing vehicle. This is a major safety concern as it causes a potential loss of control of motorhome at speed.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Jun 152016

Cherokee

Numerous computer/electrical intermittent issues with vehicle. Most recent episode the care would completely shut down at freeway speeds. No engine, no lighting, as if it was hit with an electromagnetic pulse. This unfortunately locks the steering as well. The key fob is non responsive. After 5-7 minutes (if you happen to not get hit and die), the car comes back to life (interior lights come back and after another minute will start). Also have had "service air bag indicator system", "service parking brake", "service transmission", "4WD system unavailable", check engine light, traction control light, battery light, parking brake amber service light, flashing odometer, flashing D in dash. Dash completely goes blank intermittently as well. Transmission has also been stuck in neutral numerous time (can not turn car off unless in park, cannot shift). Numerous trips to dealer for warranty service. This last time they found a ground connection loose in the driver side kick panel. So if that ground comes loose or frayed, the car can just kill me?

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Dec 052015

Cherokee

12/5/15 jerking SUV stops driving stops in middle of intersection gration& 13mile 12/7/15 returned to dealership Jan 2016 roseville Chrysler Jeep threatened to have vehicle towed to scrap yard and bill me for towing & pay remainder of car note Jan 18 2016 car was delivered back to my home as of June 1 2016 my vehicle still jerks when I accelerate after taking my foot off brake & press gas pedal - cant afford to pay for 2 vehicles - my lease ends May 2017

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

May 052016

Cherokee

Received two recalls, have been going to dealer for over 8 months to get them done, contacted Jeep manufacturer, still no parts received. Dealer says they have not received parts and to keep checking in, which I've persistently been doing for eight months to the point of frustration. It has been almost a year since the last two recalls were stated.in the meantime my defective parts continue to malfunction if used. An efficient and timely manner to get the recalls done has not been conducted by Jeep and by fca us llc.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Feb 262016

Cherokee

On several occasions, our Jeep Cherokee has begun to "wobble" severely while being flat towed behind our motorhome. This occurred three times on a recent 2,000 mile trip. The "wobble" is so severe that we have to bring the motorhome to a complete stop before the car begins to track normally. We have had it happen when we ran over a particularly rough expansion joint on the interstate. Going from 65 mph to a complete stop on a busy interstate is extremely dangerous. Another example of it being very dangerous is when the "wobble", occurs when we are in a construction zone where there are rough roads. Coming to a complete stop in heavy traffic in a construction zone also creates a situation that can cause an accident. We pull the Jeep behind a 40' 2013 newmar dutch star. Our tow bar is a blue ox avail 10,000 lb tow bar. We keep the motorhome and tow bar in good condition and I don't believe our equipment is the cause of the "wobble". we have contacted Jeep on two occasions and have been told they are aware of the situation and that they have a "fix" for it. I have tried to procure the "fix" from Jeep but I have been unable to do so. I am asking NHTSA to force Jeep to immediately release the "fix" for the wobble issue immediately at no charge. My wife and I are leaving on two trips, one the last of April and one in the middle of may that will total nearly 10,000 miles. We want to get the repair completed prior to our leaving due to the safety concerns. Jeep was made aware of this by the family motorcoach association several months ago and reported the problem in their January 2016 magazine. I feel Jeep has had ample time to prepare and distribute information and parts to repair this problem.

- Jane Lew, WV, USA