CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 13 of 30)

Jan 012015

Cherokee

I took my Jeep into the dealer to have the transmission looked at after the latest software update. It has worsened in its poor performance. It has huge delays shifting and lunges. It also disengages momentarily when braking. The fuel performance has gone down about 3 mpg since the update from 26mpg to 22.5mpg. There is a serious shake in the system at any speed above 60mph. It vibrates when there is pressure to the wheels. Costing downhill it seems fine. I replaced the tires and have had them balanced and rotated twice thinking that was the problem. The dealer said they were not able to identify the problem and did not do any repair or correction. It is not right and I am not sure what to do with it. Hate to trade or sell it at this point because I know I will take a huge loss on it.

- Louisburg, KS, USA

Jan 012015

Cherokee

We love Jeep...this is our 10th. But the only one we have had problems with. Rough shifting into 2 and 3rd. After 4 or 5 dealer visits they basically said; "live with it." Jeep customer help couldn't help. Engine stopped three times at about 40 mph, very dangerous almost lemoned the car over this safety problem and my wife almost divorced me on this one...but Jeep came though and got a fix on this. Now the Jeep is upshifting and accelerating driving down hill into curves at about 50mph. Jeep guys can't duplicate this and basically said to "live with it." Trouble is, how can you live with a car that might kill you?

- Santa Ysabel, CA, USA

Nov 132015

Cherokee

Shifting clunks/jerks when going into second gear, intermittently.

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Jan 242016

Cherokee

While driving on a busy highway at around 40 mph, my 2014 Jeep Cherokee suddenly stopped accelerating. A message displayed on the dashboard saying "transmission needs service" with the check engine light, parking brake light and the traction control light all coming on at the same time. We were able to coast off the highway and into a gas station parking lot. I am very surprised we did not get hit from behind! we have had prior issues with the transmission such as hard shifting and sudden acceleration with increasingly high rpms while the car was coming to a stop. We took the car in to have the transmission serviced but the dealership service department could not recreated the issue and said there were no problems, the best they could do was to reprogram the transmission. Needless to say the reprogram did not fix the problem. After looking further into this issue, I have found several complaints from other owners with the same exact issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 202015

Cherokee

While driving the vehicle, the vehicle all of a sudden shut off. The "service transmission" light came on. After sending the truck to the dealership, two days later I experienced the same issue. The truck shut off when I was turning into the intersection while taking my kids to school. Same message appeared on the dash. I've read online that many Jeep Cherokee owners are experiencing the same issue. My vehicle was purchased brand new in 2014, 37,688 miles. The vehicle is still in the shop, but I am honestly afraid to drive it again because it is very dangerous to drive a vehicle and to have it just shut off all of a sudden due to a faulty transmission by the manufacturer.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Jan 162016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact stopped at a traffic light. When she attempted to make a right turn, the vehicle stopped and a "put gear in park" message appeared. The vehicle was turned off and was able to be restarted after a few minutes. The vehicle jerked, but the contact was able to drive home. The failure recurred the next day without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to a local dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact was informed of NHTSA campaign number: 15V509000 (visibility). The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Jan 132016

Cherokee

First - vehicle would shift into park and I could not turn it off. When shifting into reverse, the car would not move. I had to have it towed into the dealer. Second - while driving on the expressway, the vehicle gave 5-6 beeps and information panel said, "restart vehicle and service transmission." The car stopped moving forward when pressing the gas. Shifting into park (to restart the vehicle) the car vibrated and jumped. Restarted the vehicle, the transmission light was on, message says service transmission, traction control light on, and the D(rive) light was blinking. Third - all of the above again, except everyone on the expressway was moving at 65-70 miles per hour, and my car stopped in the third lane. This seems to happen when the vehicle is moving and it is getting very dangerous for me and other drivers.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Cherokee

Driving on highway car loses power transmission failure warning comes on car stalls this has since happened two more times that it actually failed but continued during course of year to have transmission and loss of acceleration while driving on highway

Dec 222015

Cherokee

We were coming off the highway and the Jeep went over something slick and we had a very slight slide which caused an engine light to stay on and the transmission to freeze up. Engine stayed running but transmission would not engage into drive. After we shut down the engine and waited a minute we decided to restart and we were able to drive but the engine light stayed on. Aaa California gave us a repair shop to go to and they were able to reset the engine light yet they had told us that they have been seeing this occasionally with this transmission. The transmission thinks that all gears are engaged this the explanation that we received. This happen coming off the highway, what if we were in the snow or highway? we are very concerned.

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Dec 302015

Cherokee

At four different random occasions vehicle will disengage the transmission while in drive and become uncontrollable only thing responsive are the brakes. The power steering will go out as well and the vehicle transmission light and parking light will appear on the gauge display. After pulling over on the highway and letting the vehicle sit off for 5 minutes, I would then restart the vehicle and still get a indicator stating to put the vehicle in park when it is already in park. Afterwards vehicle indicator lights would go away after a few restarts and once put in drive gears would shift roughly. After multiple times of turning the vehicle on and off things will return to normal but as stated before I have no clue what triggers the transmission to disengage. It has happened to me while driving through the city and highway going at different speeds.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Nov 132015

Cherokee

Very rough and jerky transmission, rough engagement, bumpy when coming to a stop, uncontrollable acceleration after you take foot off gas, almost hitting car in front of me I took vehicle in to dealer, they kept it 10 days they said they had replaced the transmission but it is still doing same thing.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Nov 192015

Cherokee

There have been several times while driving the Jeep that the same transmission problem occurred. Twice I was approaching a stop sign in a residential area, once I was coasting down a hill on a city street, once I was slowly accelerating in rush hour traffic on a major interstate, and another time I was accelerating from being stopped at a red light on a city street. The service transmission message along with several lights indicated a transmission problem. I have a picture attached. The dealership I took it took pulled a shift differential code off the vehicle. The problem is intermittent and does not happen every time it is driven. However, this is a serious safety concern to me because the vehicle is not driveable until I turn off the engine, open the door and restart the engine several times until only the mil light is on. This is an accident waiting to happen especially with me driving 29 miles each way through 2 tunnels during rush hour. It is unsafe for me to be broken down in rush hour traffic on an interstate. I fear that I will not be in the right lane like I was previously to be able to try to pull off the road. I fear I will be driving 55 miles in a tunnel and cars not stopping behind me. I fear that I will be causing an accident trying to open the door to reset the engine. No one should have to live with this fear that you are not safe with driving to and from work.

- Harrison City, PA, USA

Nov 122015

Cherokee

Vehicle hesitates choosing a gear when accelerating from a near stop, causing it to act as if it were placed in neutral. When accelerating from a very slow I45 to an exit ramp lane, (changing lanes) vehicle stalled for a second or two, causing on coming traffic to hard brake. This problem is intermittent, and has happened numerous times. This incident is the only near miss. Vehicle has a hard time upshifting at highway speeds, will run at high RPM for long periods of time. It also shifts very harsh from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear. With this vehicle's tendency to hesitate in traffic situations, this vehicle is not safe to drive.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Nov 182015

Cherokee

The vehicle randomly does not respond to the accelerator. This is not a regular occurance, maybe once or twice a month. We have had several occasions when we have been making turns with plenty of room but the vehicle does not engage. The same issue has happened when trying to accelerate on the freeway and the vehicle does not 'listen' to a pushed gas pedal. We have had it to the dealership 5 times and they say they 'cannot reproduce the issue' and have offered now help. We find a large number of the same complains online about the Cherokee's transmission. My wife was almost hit while making a turn the other day and we are going now to trade in the vehicle.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Nov 262015

Cherokee

The vehicle was in motion. Transmission fails when trying to go up hill or during acceleration. When driving on a incline or trying to pass someone on the highway, you may get a transmission needs service error or 4WD system disabled. Either of these errors disables the vehicles transmission putting the vehicle in neutral, with no power to advance or get out of traffic. When this happens the transmission makes a horrible noise and does nothing. Not safe could cause accident. This has happened before and after a transmission & torque converter replacement.

- Wampum, PA, USA

Nov 122015

Cherokee

After dealership replaced transmission at 30,000 miles for improperly shifting we noticed a burning smell and noticed new transmission was slipping and not shifting properly. We called the dealership and was advised that the not get it in to be checked for another week and a half. At 9:10pm I went around the corner about 4 blocks to visit with a friend and left and came back to my home where I noticed smoke coming from underneath the hood. Upoing the hood I saw light from a flame and extinguished it using a garden hose. Minimal damage but fire non the less. Chrysler corporate stated I can not drive it and to let it sit un touched. I have a daughter to get to school and jobs to do that pays my bills. Three days pass I call Chrysler again and state I am going to fix the vehicle my self and send them a bill. I tighten the transmission lines they did seem loose. No transmission still leaking. 15 days later still no word from crysler. I have a $28,880 paper weight in my front yard costing me $380 a month. I have called crysler every day for a 2 weeks and all they can tell me is " its in our legal department". no call, no loaner, nothing. An expensive paper weight costing money.

- Duncan, OK, USA

Nov 242015

Cherokee

When coming to a stop, most times the vehicle downshifts roughly. Sometimes, this causes the transmission to slam into a lower gear, thrusting the car forward. This also occurs when accelerating and shifting between gears 1,2 and 3. when accelerator is pressed to pass, occasionally a loud noise is heard almost like the car was slammed into gear. When climbing a hill, the vehicle wants to be in gear 3 or 4 which causes you to accelerate too slowly and waste gas. Vehicle has been back to dealer for a new upload which did nothing.

- Bethel Park, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Cherokee

My 2014 Jeep Cherokee has been to the dealership several times for the transmission problems. It lunges forward, stalls when merging into traffic and jerks so hard that it feels like someone has hit me from behind. The dealership has done nothing to fix the problem and say they can't fix it. The transmission is very dangerous and I've nearly hit vehicles in front of me when it lunges forward. This is a dangerous vehicle and it should be taken off the market.

- Wylie, TX, USA