Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 13 of 28)

Oct 092015

9 speed auto trans recalled for software update performed by dealer. Trans continually searching for lower gears and when finds gear will shift hard and lurch forward at times breaking traction with sudden acceleration. Higher gears will not downshift with engine lugging in 7th gear at 40-42 mph. The software recall done by dealer made shifting worse. Last trip to dealer with trans complaints resulted in dealer saying nothing will help and that Chrysler considering trans replacement on all 2014 Cherokee. Could not provide any time frame on repairs for obviously defective transmission which is a danger when vehicle lunges forward in lower gears. Is this defect being addressed by Chrysler? on-going and continuous problem and defect.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 122015

Was driving in very busy town, luckily turning into a parking lot, Jeep had lost all power, and was showing engine light, etc light flashing, and traction control was shut off. Got the Jeep running again about 15 minutes later, auto zone was next door but they could not read the codes. Had to drive an hour to the closest dealership. Was told there was a recall that needed to be updated, was told to drive it so many miles to reset everything, then sent back on my way. The next day I was putting the required miles on it, it left me stranded on the side of highway with young child, got it to start again and made it back to park it the rest of the day. Next morning drove 1/4 mile down road and it had lost all power again. Called dealership to let them know I was bringing it back, Jeep would not go past 3rd gear, almost hit multiple times trying to get off the road. Got to dealership, they told me it is un-driveable after driving over an hour to get there, they had Jeep almost 3 weeks. Mileage was around 18,000. Would need to replace transmission, when they finally called to say it was ready, I was told it was bc it needed an oil change...with only 3500 miles on this change(feb2015-march2015). Now(oct2015) Jeep shows engine, etc, traction control, after turning at light in neighborhood. Took Jeep to new dealership, could not recreate problem, 3 days for diagnosis.

- Alvarado, TX, USA

Oct 102015

Mileage 26,000+ transmission failed while driving on the highway this morning. Revs went very high but couldn't generate speed to keep up with traffic (check engine light came on) didn't move past 2nd gear. Having read all the complaints about transmission issues cause by the lack of "mature" software as cited by Fiat Chrysler CEO sergio marchionne, I'm wondering why the vehicle hasn't been recalled to prevent a potential dangerous event from occurring. I was lucky I could get off the highway this morning and get to a dealership close by. At this stage - the vehicles has had a recall for the radio R40), wipers, liftgate.. what else Mr. Marchionne... do they right thing for your consumers and recall the vehicles who are as you say lacking "mature" programming. Navigation system not working either. I am seriously considering trading this in for a non Chrysler car.

- Stephenson, VA, USA

Jun 012015

When going from a stopped or slow speed to a quicker speed the Jeep does not respond. It stalls, sometimes in the middle of a road, then will suddenly kick very hard and finally get going. The ca does this if I am merging onto a highway, going on a green light, or pulling into traffic (turning left or right). The way it is acting it is extremely likely that I will be hit. This has been happening for several months. I have take to two different dealerships and told two different things. One saying there was a software update they did that should take care of it, would not explain the update to me. The other saying they could not replicate the problem and everything seems to be operating fine and that this is just the "new 9 gear transmission deciding on a gear"

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 052015

Hard shifts, lunging, malfunctioning light illumination, and unexpected disengagement. It completely went out on me. I was driving home from work and the car kept dragging and when it shifted, it was a very hard shift. And when I try to stop, it lunges forward. These particular things have been going on for awhile. However in this particular instance, it completely went out on me.luckily I was in front of my house and was going to back up in the driveway and the transmission went out on me.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Oct 022015

Vehicle fails to shift properly and stalls upon acceleration from complete stops, driving on highway and normal roads. Issue started 7 months after purchase at 8,573 miles. Jeep taken to dealer on March 10, 2015, who reprogrammed transmission & power train modules & reprogrammed restraint control module. 5/15 - Jeep was making clunking noise and grinding noises - rear differential was replaced at 14K miles; 5/27 - Jeep still made grinding noise when placed into gear - power transfer unit & skid plate replaced as tech found fluid had leaked into ptu causing internal damage. 7/7 - Jeep still not shifting properly, rpms rev to 5 & 6K before shifting. Slow acceleration has almost caused multiple crashes!! dealer reprogrammed transmission control module. 10/2/15 - lift gate won't open with fob or by hand & won't lock when closed manually - open recall with no remedy avail, I was told not to use it until fixed. Dealer has no eta for the fix and this issue can cause fire!! shifting is still an issue, dealer claimed they were unable to reproduce the issue yet the check in & out mileage remained unchanged at 20,635. The parking sensors go off in drive thru's, yet another issue they can't reproduce. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle which is needed for work!!! I attempted to trade it in but past service issues have depreciated it's value to the point of no return!

- Fox Lake, IL, USA

Oct 022015

This is an update to a previously made claim (10761069). To summarize, after 4 failed attempts to have my transmission repaired in September, 2015 the transmission completely failed. The transmission was replaced and it is still driving very similar to the old transmission prior to failure. There is a large lag between pressing the gas pedal and acceleration. This is alarming when entering traffic. Also, there are many hard shifts as it moves through the gears. This is a major safety concern for my family and the quality of this vehicle is suspect. I have started the arbitration process and warn other consumers to consider issues prior to purchase.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Sep 302015

A couple days after purchasing the vehicle, was rounding a turn, going uphill, and accelerated. At that point, the car wobbled violently. Upon arriving home, I checked the tire pressure and found all to be around 48#. since the tires had been inflated with nitrogen at the dealer I went there and was told by the service department that the over-inflation was most likely the cause. The "tire technician" took a few pounds out of each tire and pretty much said if the trouble light is not lit, the pressures are fine. When I got home, I checked the pressures and compared with the TPMS display. None of the tires had the same pressure and all over 40#. I adjusted the pressures of the tires to the pressure stated on the tire sticker on the door jamb. I continued to experience a wobbling and the service department said there are no known issues. I agreed to document when this is happening and under which conditions. I experienced intermittent, but frequent wobbling upon acceleration between 10 and 20 mph usually in second gear. On Nov 2, the dealer confirmed the wobbling and stated that Jeep does not have a fix at this time. They have a problem where the front axles do not have enough slop to take left/right movements of engine and bottoms out on axle shafts. Should be February. When I checked in March, I was told Jeep revised date to be 3Q 2015. Sep 29, I was now told 4Q 2015. I then contacted fca customer service to go beyond the dealer find out facts from the manufacturer. The rep said that she would contact the dealer for their input while I held on the phone. She got back on the phone and simply said that there is no eta for the fix and to continue checking back with the dealer or go to another dealer and see if they can find something else wrong. No fix after all this time, that's terrible. The fca rep mishandling my concern, in my opinion is as bad.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Sep 152015

Model:2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude 2.4 liters. Months old: 13 first failure: "the transmission kicked back as if in reverse". the failure mileage was 8293. It was in school zone area. The traffic was slow. Stop and go. At one point, when the traffic started moving the driver (my wife) released the brake and slightly pressed the gas pedal with her foot, the vehicle all of sudden accelerated backward. The vehicle behind started honking at her. She was able to hit the brake, just inches before she hit the front end of that vehicle. The check engine light illuminated and a long message appeared, only momentarily on the dash screen which indicated (something about) "brake" and "service transmission". in a panic, my wife could not recall the whole message. Someone at that dealership told me he has seen this problem before on 2.4 L Jeep Cherokee. After 2 days troubleshooting, Jeep dealer installed "new software in BCM", the latest software version (I was told) and told me the vehicle was now fixed, should be safe to drive. (please note: Fca recall RO1: Reprogram tcm and PCM had been perform on 04/17/15). Second failure: "same problem as the first failure and transmission stalled while on drive". the failure mileage was 8373. Two days after the first failure was "fixed". while puling into the driveway at very low speed with a 3 years old sleeping baby in the rear car seat. Still in the middle of the street, the vehicle jerked and the driver (it was me) felt like it was trying to move as if in reverse, then the transmission stalled as if in neutral. I pressed the gas pedal a few times but the vehicle failed to move. Same indications flashed on the dash screen as the first occurrence. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership on that Saturday afternoon. In both occurrences, no one was hurt, no accident but it could be much worse.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Sep 162015

While at the dealership for a routine oil change, I was told that my transmission had a fluid leak. The entire under side of the vehicle was covered with transmission fluid! there was no warning, no lights and no messages! I was told the entire transmission had to be replaced!

- Broadalbin, NY, USA

Mar 092015

While driving my car through an intersection, while pressing the gas, the car's transmission acted like it was in neutral. This was disturbing because at the time I needed power. The car did this 3 times. I put the car in for service and without an engine light on there was nothing they would do. 6 months later Jeep realized that it needed a new transmission. They replaced the transmission and now every time I come to a stop the car jerks. It feels completely unsafe and this car scares me. I have a family of 5 and I am now subjecting all of us to a potential unsafe situation. I informed the service department with no response (to date). I will keep trying, but they say they drove it 22 miles and it was fine. It is not fine. It is scary and negligent. They have admitted that there are many transmission problems and that they're working on them. The car is a year old and has never felt quite right.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Sep 212015

While driving around the city of sf, I started to here a grinding noise. There are two thing that would stop it. First, would be an actually stop the vehicle when doing so it made a hard downshift noise and crunch. Second would be using the manual override on the transmission gear shift and shift the gears. Also while driving on the highway at 50 mph getting onto the bay bridge I hear a slight grinding noise that would only last for a few hundred feet.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 012015

1st incident- 9/1/15- driving in interstate traffic when w/O warning Jeep lost power, immediately slowed as if it dropped gears and went into neutral, "service parking brake" message flashed and said to put in park/turn car off/restart. Other emergency warnings appeared: Check engine, stability traction, service transmission. Jeep had no power and was hard to steer. I was in far lane and able to coast to shoulder. Turned car off/on. Said "service transmission". tried to drive but parking brake was still locked. Had towed to Dodge service dept. 9/3 diagnosis- "code U042 error causing service parking brake message and transmission to go limp". told it was reprogrammed and problem fixed. 2nd incident- 9/4- driving on country road in school traffic when same exact problem occurred.there was no where to coast/pull over. Turned car off/on. Service transmission warning light was on but attempted to drive to move car out of traffic. Shut down 5 more times w/ loud clunks as if transmission was going to drop out before able to safely park. Nearly caused school bus accident! had towed to Dodge. Star case opened. In service dept for 14 days. Replaced "body control module" but couldn't get it reconfigured and had to "write" into Dodge to find out how to fix it. 9/17 diagnosis- "internal BCM failure caused active U0140- lost communication w/ BCM dtc in electric park brake module; test confirmed BCM failed causing false activation of park brake. I expressed concern of recurrence and my safety based on history of complaints but was assured it was fixed. 3rd incident- 9/21 in rush hour traffic again! how many times do I have to risk my family's lives before they recall/replace this death trap! Jeep still in service dept and they have now ordered a valve body, transmission range sensor, transmission fluid and electric parking brake control module. Please help before someone is killed!

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 082014

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk, and whenever I try to quickly slow down, the car actually accelerates during the downshift - between 25-20mph. This is a big problem because it happens unexpectedly and when you most need the braking - especially if you are on an incline. This is why I have had many close calls and have almost rear-ended many cars now. I've taken it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Reading various forums, this seem to be a widespread issue with Chrysler 9 speed transmissions that they've recently released. Please, please make them fix this issue. I will be getting rid of my vehicle for this reason, and I hope for the safety of everyone they will fix this.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Apr 012015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While attempting to accelerate, the vehicle failed to move without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the transmission needed to be reflashed. After performing the reflash, the transmission was deemed defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred shortly after. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 9,200. Updated 11/23/15

- Blairsville, GA, USA

Sep 142015

I have had the transmission replace by Jeep yet the transmission still continue to do hard shifts, lunging, unexpected disengagement of the transmission. I have not able to move out of the way in emergency. If the gas is pressed, the engine lags and over revs but goes no where. Then it will jump forwarded. I keep taking the vehicle back to Jeep and but keep being told the engine works as designed.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 302014

Vehicle died and transmission light came on, also will start off slow and RPM's will go all the way over to 5rpms, vehicle does not accelerate. Sometimes you will have your accelerate with the pedal all the way down and vehicle is going slow. If you stop and need to start going again, vehicle will amp up but will not go, have almost got hit several times due to this happening. This is a huge safety issue. I have contacted Chrysler cair and they don't seem to be much help after second opinion of vehicle. Air conditioning flow volume decreases at highway speeds. Air flow drops from 5.7 to 4.4 and warm air will circulate after only driving vehicle 10 minutes. Have taken to two different dealerships and vehicle still continues to have same issues.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Mar 202014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate and jerked violently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 14,000.

- Denver , CO, USA

Oct 152014

Ever since the first update to the tcm, the transmission has been slipping and then grabbing. More than once, it has slipped when I had to pull out into fast moving traffic. The last time, I needed to pull out into traffic. As I pushed on the accelerator, the rpms increased, but the speed didn't. the engine RPM's spun up to around 6000 RPM and I was only travelling 15 mph. All of a sudden, the transmission grabbed. The wheels chirped and the vehicle accelerated. I was nearly hit from behind due to the failure of the Jeep to accelerate properly.

- Dallas, PA, USA

Sep 082015

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Service transmission message comes on screen, transmission make loud noise, engine shuts down. Hard to control vehicle. Almost crashed. Dealer says transmission faulty. Second time this happened

- York Springs, PA, USA