Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 15 of 28)

Mar 162015

Text of letter sent to Jeep/Chrysler on 08/21/2015. Earlier this year I began experiencing poor performance from the transmission in the Jeep I purchased in late December. Shortly after this began I received a recall notice regarding the software governing the transmission. After having this, and an airbag recall, addressed the issue got worse. Again taking it in, the dealer confirmed the existence of the poor performance. However, they had no solution stating that it was a software issue, Chrysler is aware of the problem but has no fix. This transmission defect is causing driving problems and unsafe conditions. I can not rely on the vehicle to accelerate at any time. Even driving with extreme caution, I have been left in several unsafe situations when merging on the freeway or entering traffic. I have now needed to avoid left turns across traffic. I like the car in general and I am asked about it often. Unfortunately, I am beyond disappointed with this problem and have stated this to everyone who asks about the vehicle. I had not bought a brand new car for several years and only did so with the belief that I would be avoiding car problems. I would like to know how Chrysler intends to resolve this issue and more importantly when. I have copied this letter to the Washington state consumer protection bureau and the nthsa.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 202015

I was exiting a highway and had slowed down to a near stop. When I tried to accelerate, the car wouldn't move and then lunged forward. I nearly crashed into the car in front of me. Issues with the transmission of this vehicle have persisted since I first picked the car up in March of 2014. It has been back to the dealership eight times, with five updates being performed, no to avail. The vehicle is unsafe.

- Pelham, NY, USA

Aug 152015

While driving an approx. 10 hour trip from Colorado to Texas vehicle began experiencing problems. Halfway into the trip the check engine light came on after stopping to get fuel. Few miles later the transmission notification appeared and the shifter started blinking while in drive. Came to a stop at a stop sign and the vehicle had problems downshifting in order to brake. Braking took longer than usual. Car rolled backwards when taking off from that same stop sign. Lower gears had a hard time shifting. Rpms unusually high at speeds over 60. Car accelerated on its own multiple times. Car would not allow any dash functions when the transmission temp would go above 200. Pulled over several times to let the engine cool. Restarted car after auto braking feature prevented driving in reverse. Car had trouble driving uphill. No word from dealership but this is the 2nd time in 4 months car has been in the shop. First time was a check engine light having to do with the oil components. I am truly concerned for the safety of my children. When will this problem be taken seriously" when someone dies?"

- Odessa, TX, USA

Aug 292014

Vehicle has rough shifting on acceleration very jerky does not downshift after stopping, dealer reflashed programming, vehicle returned to dealer on recall for transmission reflashed again tranny then replaced new tranny started having same problem, wire replaced to transmission, transmission now having same issue not shifting properly down shift erratic, intermittent lack of power on acceleration due to transmission not downshifting

- Rome City, IN, USA

Aug 142015

The car did not accelerate when peddle was pushed (in heavy traffic) then jumped suddenly to accelerate into oncoming traffic. This vehicle has had complete valve body failure in less than 3,000 miles and numerous updates to the computer because of uneven shifting and acceleration. The latest update seemed to work better for a few weeks and now is worse than previously. The Chrysler dealer (ron carter alvin Texas) refuses to return my calls for service or to set a service date.

- League City, TX, USA

Aug 112015

Love my Jeep except for various shifting and lurching problems.occasionally lurches when putting vehicle in gear forward or backward.latest problem was on accelerating or lack there of.I was at a light turning left.I realized a car coming at me was going pretty fast so I pressed hard on accelerator, RPM's shot up engine sound raced but car only crept forward then approx 1 second later it caught and I made the turn in time, barely.the transmission has gone from being a nuisance to very dangerous. Could have been disastrous consequences.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Aug 072015

In the wake of receiving my car back after transmission replacement (due to the car shutting down while driving), I turned it on the other day and all the lights on the gear shifter console lite up and stayed lite. I brought my car into Jeep and was told that it was throwing a code, some kind of lost connection error but they have no idea why or how to fix it because it isnt doing it any more. This is the second time in 2 months that my car has been in the shop to fix an issue which Jeep claims is an oddity to my vehicle and not a known issue.

- Apex, NC, USA

May 142015

I own a Jeep Cherokee altitude model with a V-6, AWD, and the 9-speed transmission. Approximately 700 miles after receiving the R01 software update to my transmission, the car experienced complete transmission shutdown. The engine continued to run, but no power was transmitted to the wheels. Warning lights came on reading "service transmission", service engine and service parking brake indicators lit up, and the information center instructed me to pull over in a safe place, shift into park, restart the engine, and select desired gear. Once done, the transmission shifted into drive with a violent "clunk". the vehicle would move then, but with only partial power. The dealer "reflashed the control module" and declared the vehicle repaired. After four subsequent events identical to the first, and three additional trips to the dealership, I still do not have my vehicle in my possession. This has been going on for 85 days now. The obvious safety issue of a vehicle losing power at speed concerns me, of course, but the problem I am experiencing seems to be beyond the ability of fca to remedy. There are many of us with this experience, and we would like some assistance.

- Florence, SC, USA

Aug 292014

Ordered car through brown motors, located in petoskey mi. Salesman has been conducting business with the family for many years. Car replaced vehicle affected in a major flood, Aug. 12, 2014. Picked up car from vehicle courier at a location offsite of the dealership. While driving on the expressway few miles and coming to a stop due to traffic, I noticed that the front end on the passenger side made a very noticeable wobbling motion between 5 and 20 mph. Vehicle has repeated the wobbling sporadically at the same speed upon acceleration and occasionally when coming to a stop. Took the vehicle in and had two recalls performed. One for the side curtain airbag and another for the transmission module. The transmission module adjustment did nothing to amend the front end wobble. Also, on occasion when accelerating to pass another vehicle, the engine revs up to almost the red line on the tachometer before the transmission shifts and the car actually increases in speed. Luckily I have never experienced this on a two lane road while passing another vehicle. Other than that the vehicle performance has been adequate.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When driving on I-95 South in the left lane I was accelerating to pass and the engine speed dropped like it was turned off. Multiple dash lights flashed and several messages flashed on dash: Service transmission, service E-brake, put vehicle in park and restart, etc. Vehicle was coasting down from 65 with people catching up to me and beeping. Park was not an option. The gas pedal did not function. I was able to coast into a construction zone and shut down. On first restart it was real rough. On second restart engine seemed fine and I had a mil light and a traction control light on the dash. Police detail officer assisted me off of the interstate and it was driven to dealer on back roads. They pulled codes and re-flashed the control units with the software they had applied two days before. They claimed it was a faulty or incomplete upgrade. They "re-trained" the transmission and it worked fine until this morning (8/7/15) when it did it again whilst accelerating onto highway. Same faults. It is at dealer now and I want them to buy it back. It only has 16200 miles and I have had it less than a year. I cannot drive a vehicle that shuts down on the highway. Someone is going to get hurt or worse.

- Seabrook, NH, USA

Apr 012015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While at the dealer, the instrument cluster, body control module, and transmission software were being updated on the vehicle. The contact stated that after leaving the dealer while driving at low speeds, the vehicle failed to down shift to second and first gear preventing the vehicle from accelerating. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to another dealer, where the technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 12,000.

- Fairview, OR, USA

Jul 312014

After doing my homework and research on a vehicle with #1 safety ratings in its class, I am now in a constant state of fear for the safety of not only myself and my family, but to any other innocent people around me. I travel as little as possible in a vehicle that I am still in debt a very large sum of money on. I took delivery of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk, 4X4 on May 28, 2014. The first issue occurred on July 31, 2014 when the vehicle felt as though the engine dropped out into the street of my neighborhood, disabling the vehicle completely; it was not drivable, nor would it shift into neutral in order to get onto the tow truck. (the transmission and emergency braking systems failed) to make an incredibly long story short...I have experienced this same event as well as many others continuously over a 14 month period in regard to failure of my emergency braking system as well as my transmission to include: Jerking so much that my purse flies from seat onto floorboard, jerking that causes my daughter to lunge forward into the back of the front passenger's seat, a stalled vehicle on busy highways and streets on numerous occasions, sudden engagement of emergency brake with the inability to release the brake while stopped at traffic lights; I could go on and on. After a total of 20+ trips to the dealerships for repairs (8-10 of these of which were via tow truck), (3) new transmissions, several repairs and modifications to the emergency braking vehicle is still currently out of commission and not in my possession. I received a call on tues. Of this week from the dealership to inform me that a resolution was made; yet another transmission would be installed in my death trap of a vehicle. (this makes #4) to say that this is clearly the definition of insanity is an understatement. Something drastic needs to be done before people are killed.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 062015

When going down 6% or greater inclines while driving in the mountains, put the vehicle in 5th or 4th gear to slow it down, but if I touch the brake the car downshifts even further in which it actually speeds up before slowing down. Can understand this if were I using cruise control, but not when I try to control the vehicle speed. Liked the idea of being able to select a gear when descending a hill to provide some compression braking, but it should stay in that gear when I apply the brakes slightly. If applied very hard then should down shift to lower gears.

- Pine, AZ, USA

Mar 212015

Vehicle transmission first failed in driveway at start up at 13773 miles at 10 months. Transmission "service transmission" error appeared with blinking "P" and would not engage. Towed to dealer. Error code reset overnight and dealer could not read the code. Dealer performed a software update to the transmission control module. Transmission was not shifting smoothly on drive home. Second transmission failure occurred on next morning after pickup on 3/25 and 11 miles. Transmission "service transmission" error appeared again with blinking "P". transmission could engage drive gear with a severe lurch. Service tech was able to read a failure code. Chrysler service tech found problem with plug connector on transmission control module and did another software update to transmission control module as first update was not done initially per the correct procedure. Transmission was able to shift smoothly upon repair. Third transmission failure occurred on 5/4 with 18543 miles while vehicle was on the highway at highway speed of 45 mph approaching intersection for left turn. Vehicle transmission "service transmission" error code appeared and transmission shifted into neutral with blinking "D" and lost power. Unable to drive thru intersection. Had to coast to stop. Transmission lurched into park. Turned vehicle off and back on. Transmission was able to lurch into drive and drove across intersection to park in safe area. Transmission was able to shift into and out of gear but was very jerky with mechanical clunk. This failure is of serious safety concern due to motion was unable to continue with vehicle in congested intersection. Vehicle is currently undergoing evaluation to determine course of action by Chrysler. Case number assigned.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Mar 112015

Only had vehicle for 8 months when I noticed it wasn't running correctly. When at a complete stop, my car started to hesitate when I would start to accelerate. When it finally decided to engage, the car would either move in slow jerky spurts or lunge forward as though I had floored it. Around this time I had received two notices that the vehicle needed two updates: An air bag issue and transmission updates. I took my vehicle to dealership for an oil change and the updates on 03/28/15. I explained to the gentleman behind the counter about my cars unusual behavior, and he assured me the updates would take care of it. Since the updates were installed, I have noticed things have gotten worse. My car is more unpredictable now. There are times when I am going up a hill and start to lose momentum. I dare not travel too far, for fear I won't be able to get up to speed to merge into traffic. During these power losses, I have had the pedal to the floor and saw the odometer go backwards. I did take my vehicle back to the dealership for them to look it over in June. Unfortunately, I was told that my car was fine. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I feel that one day I may end up in an accident because of the erratic transmission shifting.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

May 032014

Transmission shifting problems causing hesitation and/or forward lurching, high engine revving, front end wheel hop. All warrant a huge safety concern. Vehicle has been in for service 13 times over the last 14 months and has still not been repaired. Several star cases opened with no resolution. All concerns confirmed by technician test drive on 6 different occasions and has currently been in the shop for five days.

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Jun 232015

On an interstate highway, on a slight uphill incline at 70 miles per hour, surrounded by other traffic including semitrailers, the Jeep abruptly lost forward power, acting like it has shifted into neutal. This loss of power was accompanied by flashing dashboard indications of transmission failure and by horrific clunking sounds and shudders from underneath. I was able to drift, miraculously, to the shoulder without being killed. Eventually restarted and limped to a dealer. Dealer kept Jeep two days, said they replaced a "control module", and that it was fixed. Not so. About thirty days later, and within a week of having the Jeep checked over at a different dealer, it happened again, this time at about 25 mph in a residential area down a gentle decline. Jeep had no suggestions for me other than tow it somewhere. Lost a full workday messing around with them seeking a solution. Now, days later, I have no communication from the dealer or from Chrysler/Jeep except an email saying that the dealer had discovered "codes". no word on what is wrong with this transmission, or whether Jeep can actually fix it or merely keep towing it after it leaves me on the side of the road or gets me killed or worse. Completely unreliable, unsafe, and apparently irreparable. Chrysler/Jeep needs to get this junk off the road before someone gets killed! updated 09/15/15

- Palmyra, VA, USA

Mar 232015

9 speed transmission started having hard up and down shifts at around 10K miles (March 2015). This was near time the fca issued a service bulletin on tcm and PCM for known software control problems with transmission. Sw updates were performed, yet transmission continued to shift erratically. Problem then developed into lurching during stops and hesitation when attempting to move. The hesitation presents serious concern as the ability to enter traffic or merge becomes difficult and dangerous if the transmission refuses to engage. Took back to dealership in June. Multiple attempts with sw updates. Fca ultimately decided to replace entire transmission. It had 13.8K miles on it. A month later it is shifting hard and lugging again. Back at dealership. Not clear what fca with do/offer now, as they don't seem to know what is wrong.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Dec 012014

I purchased my brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee with 30 miles. After about 1500 miles it began shifting very hard in low gears jerking, it red lines extremely hard to where it will jolt the Jeep and when I come to a stop it would begin raise rpms and accelerate. It would scare me senseless. I took it to the dealership they said that's how it performs and made me leave. 400 miles later the transmission completely blew out going 50 in la traffic. It was on back order for a month. Since then I have taken it in 8 times for the same problem a few times they have updated the tcm now they are saying there is no codes and they cannot duplicate it, even though it does it every single time. The Jeep will not know what gear to shift and leave me stranded in intersections before it shifts and peels out. When I break it'll pick up speed it is extremely unsafe and unreliable. Jeep has no fix for it and will not buy it back nor compensate me in anyway this isn't right and they should be forced to buy these be back. Last weekend I took it on a trip going downhill at 60 mph 2000 RPM I tapped the break and the Jeep revved to 5000 rpms also my horn is he hardest horn to push ever it does not work. The service department said its a little harder than normal but they cannot replace it since it doesn't give a code.everyone and their mother is concerned and complains about this issue. One day this thing is going to get me in a wreck. I paid good money for this vehicle I just want something safe and reliable for my family. I wish Jeep Chrysler however it is would just do the right thing.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Jul 022015

I was driving through town on 7/2/15 and all of a sudden the dashboard lit up and the car went into neutral, I was able to drift into a safe area. I turned the car off and waited 2 minutes, started the car, everything seemed ok except the check engine light was on. When I pulled away the trans would not go over 45 mph. I called dealer and they said to bring it in immediately. 5 days later they charged me $100 for a "flash" download to trans. I picked the car up and within 48 hours the same thing happened again (8 times in 1 day), they told me to bring it in, I did (asked for a loaner vehicle, they said they would have to charge me), they told me there were no recorded faults in the computer, a mechanic drove it home 2 days to get it to fail. 6 days later I picked it up after they installed a transmission control module at no charge. 24 hours later it happened again, I was able to drift into a safe area. I turned the car off and waited 2 minutes, started the car, everything seemed ok except the check engine light was on, as of yesterday the car is back in their shop and they told me they will call the factory again to see what they can do"???" I'm a traveling salesman and I'm very concerned that this issue will cause an accident (if I can't drift into a safe area to "reset" the car) and I have developed no faith in Jeep's ability to fix this problem! updated 09/17/15

- Avondale, PA, USA