Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 16 of 28)

Feb 202015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

No real problems with our Jeep until we took it in for an oil change and they provided the "reprogram PCM tcm update campaign." After that update the Jeep would clunk, stall, and not accelerate through turns. Two weeks ago they "got a new update" that was to fix the previous update. Now we are going back again this week. Though, when I go to the Jeep recall site and enter my VIN there is no record of this new update.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 012014

While shifting at low speeds the vehicle continues to not select the correct gear in the power train / transmission. More often than not, when shifting from reverse to drive it selects 2nd or 3rd gear and when it doesn't move fast enough it slams into 1st. While in drive taking off from stop light for instance, the gears often start with 2nd or 3rd gear again and will not too often revert to 1st gear, it just allows for a very slow start. While visiting the dealership several times for this issue, the dealer / service person advises me it's a matter of time before the transmission / gears explode from this very issue and Chrysler knows about the issues but continue to send out recall notices for fixes.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Mar 252014

Immediately after purchase, I noticed a degree of sluggishness during transmission shifts and lack of ability to reach 9th gear using the automatic transmission in drive mode. 9th gear is unattainable. The dealer told me that the transmission "learns" to an individual's driving style; be patient. At 3775 miles 4 Aug. 2014, I returned the vehicle to the dealer, and they did, as they termed it, a software update; but the update didn't really fix the problem. On 09 Apr., 2015 I again returned the vehicle to the dealer with the same complaint. They reported that they had performed a reprogram of transmission and powertrain control modules (R01 18-R0-11-84 0.5 & 18-ro-11-52 0.8). Since then, my vehicle has been performing even worse. Approaching an uphill incline, the transmission doesn't downshift until it nearly stops; then it suddenly after 3-5 seconds, lunges forward. Also I experienced a near 't' bone miss, as I attempted to accelerate from a stop sign because. The vehicle seemed to be stuck in a high gear and wouldn't respond expect in a sluggish way that only got me in the way of approaching traffic. By aggressively pushing on the gas it eventually shifted and bolted out of the way of oncoming traffic. I contacted the dealer about this, and was told there is another software update due about the end of June 2015. I contacted them again during the week of 6 July, but was told that there is no update. Frankly, I'm afraid to drive it. It just isn't safe behaving in this unpredictable manner. I've given it enough miles to allow the transmission/drivetrain to learn my driving habits. When I do drive it, I'm reluctant to have anyone else in the vehicle. Is there anything that your office/NHTSA can do to motivate Chrysler-Fiat to eliminate this concerning issue? the dealer is york, 500 prescott lakes parkway, prescott, AZ 86301.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jul 152015

Vehicle often lunges/shifts hard, but, last week, I was driving and the acceleration just seemed to stop. I put the car in neutral and back into drive and it resolved the issue. But, I did considered pulling off of the road. Going for R05 recall service next week and will get this problem looked at - at that time.

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Apr 012014

On April 1, 2015 while accelerating from a complete stop to merging into on coming traffic the transmission disengaged and the car lost all power. Warning came on the dash telling me " transmission needs service. No power. Pull over to side of road. Put car in park and shut off engine." This happened again on July 17, 2015 while my wife was making a left hand turn from a complete stop. The transmission disengaged again and she lost all power. She was nearly rear ended by a semi truck who was behind her but made the left hand turn without slowing down. She had our 2 grand daughters in the back set and was scared and afraid for their safety. This 2014 Jeep Cherokee model has had continued issues with the 9 speed transmission and all Jeep does is issue software upgrades to try to eliminate the shifting and poor acceleration problems this transmission continues to have. With the transmission disengaging at lower speeds someone is going to get killed if not seriously hurt. The NHTSA needs to issue a recall to Jeep before someone is killed by this faulty transmission that was brought to market before long term test could be conducted on it to make sure it functions properly and safely.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Jul 172015

Backed out of driveway then warning light/symbol and tone came on that the 4 wheel drive system was unavailable and service required, service airbag warning came on as well as service parking brake, limped back into driveway barely. Turned vehicle off restarted still getting warnings and tried to move vehicle motor revved but vehicle didn't move forward or reverse. Got another warning to put vehicle into park then select gear. Currently waiting for tow truck. Jeep won't move in drive or reverse now. Suspect transmission issue.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jul 142015

While driving on the freeway the vehicle disengaged the transmission leaving the car to coast with no power. Engine still ran but when you tried to hit the gas the vehicle just coasted endangering the occupants. This is the 3rd time this has happened. The first two times my teenage son was driving on a narrow winding road. We have brought the vehicle into Jeep and each time they say it is a software issue and they updated the software and said everything is fine. The third time happened while I was driving down the freeway disabling the vehicle. When you turn the vehicle off and then on again the transmission begins to work but gives you a service transmission error

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jul 092015

I bought a pre-owned certified Jeep Cherokee 2014 from david's Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler last week Monday, June 6th, 2015. I had a major issue occur a week later on the highway while traveling 65 mph the car loss traction control, 4 wheel drive, and the ability to accelerate. I was in a cattle shoot and had to coast the car down the highway to pull over. A service engine light along with warnings about the traction control and transmission were shown. I pulled to the side of the road and put the car in park which resulted in a hard jerk from moving the clutch from drive to park. I restarted the car and the car was idling at an abnormally high RPM. I put the car in drive and noticed a jerk once again when moving through the gears. The car also shifted very hard for about 45 more miles. I called the dealership who informed me that my car required an update to the transmission which was preformed that day. As an engineer I find it unacceptable that the dealership sold a car with the potential to crash on the highway due to negligence with regards ignoring a crucial update like the transmission. After the update to the transmission the car is shifting very hard from gear to gear and seems to be giving a shallow shift to 1st gear when the car is at a complete stop. Monday, 13th, 2015, I have an appointment for two other issues a squeak in the rear passenger seat and an interference issue with the sirusxm. As an engineer it is obvious that there is a deep underlying problem with the 9 speed transmission I will be asking for the dealership to replace the transmission as the update was not effective causing rough shifting and a loss of acceleration in the shift from high to low gears.

- Malvern , PA, USA

Jun 302015

After repeated updates and several complaints to the service department of; the engine fan turning on often, the car lurching forward at start, and inconsistent idling the transmission now needs replaced. I was driving under regular conditions and my "check engine" light came on, took it to the dealer and they said the transmission needs to be replaced. (I should note that I am on vacation in Florida, over a thousands miles from my home in Chicago.) I have been waiting for the new transmission for over a week and they just added another week....updated 09/28/15

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 022015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at 50 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle hesitated before accelerating. In addition, the contact stated that while at a stop, the vehicle jerked. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V041000 (air bags) and 14V392000 (suspension); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Palm Desert , CA, USA

Jun 192015

4 seperate occasations the transmission has went wacky on this vehicle. The first while driving, it became uncontrolable and jerky to the point I almost ran a stop sign, and nearly ran off the road. The next three time I was parked but the transmission says it was in park, but still gives away and if your not quick on the brakes it will roll away. Have gotten a look like I'm making this stuff up at the dealership each and every time. They just just reset the codes, then it happens again. Finally, they agreed it needed a new transmission. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

- Albany, MO, USA

Nov 012013

The vehicle lunges after you stop as if it is down shifting. Sometimes it bangs and jumps suddenly when taking off from a stop. The transmission seems to have not down shifted and is in too high a gear causing the engine to pause before suddenly downshifting and suddenly accelerating which sometimes it to abrupt and you have to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting traffic. We have had several reprograms of the transmission without any resolution. The last caused the car to suddenly lunge and jump out into traffic while sitting at a stop with the brake on and no gas applied. We could have caused an accident... the motor has started leaking oil from the oil filter and cooler assembly on top of the 3.2 liter V6. It appears it has a bad gasket or seal or it may be cracked. I see several other owners complaining of this be cause you can smell burning oil, we removed the top engine cowl and carry a fire extinguisher just in case it catches fire. It appears that you could easily lose most of the oil and seize the motor not to mention catch on fire. The rear hatch camera and controls malfunction in wet weather. The camera turns to snow or moving objects appear frame by frame and not in real time. The controls fail to allow gate operation. I contacted Jeep today and am taking it in for the oil issue and will try to get them to fix the transmission and rear gate issues. This is a danger to drive when it can launch into traffic or leak oil causing a fire or short out the gate from an electrical fire. Jeep needs to get these issues addressed.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jun 212015

While in motion, the car stalled. The car would not then shift to any gear. After continuously trying to shift gears, the car would jump from park to drive. Literally jump. I had to drive home (a few blocks) with my hazards on praying all the way. I called huntington beach Jeep first thing in the morning. They towed the car to the service dept. I was told the transmission would be fixed. I tried to upgrade out of the shotty Cherokee to a Grand Cherokee for safety reasons but the dealer would not forgive the negative equity in the car as we've had it for a year. He insisted we put more money down and have a car payment of $600-700 dollars. We refused. We feel Jeep does not care about the safety but only the number of cars they sell each month which is a same. Thank god we didn't have a car accident as they my family would be planning a funeral. Maybe that is what it will take.

- Carson, CA, USA

Jun 202015

I was driving in the far left lane on the freeway at approximately 68 miles per hour when suddenly my vehicle shook and the transmission stopped functioning. It left me in a very dangerous situation as I had to slowly drift to the shoulder lane with fast vehicles approaching behind me. I could have easily been rear-ended at a 65+mph speed as I was not able to accelerate to move to the shoulder safely at a normal speed. I was at the mercy of cars behind me that noticed my hazards and slowed down to let me over. The service transmission message began to display as well as the check engine light. The message display instructed me to put the vehicle into park then back into drive. Once on the shoulder I did as the display message instructed but still once in drive my vehicle would not accelerate at all while pressing on the gas. After 4 attempts I decided to try to manually shift the gears which finally got my car moving. I have an appointment to take my car in for service tomorrow. The car has less than 8,000 miles on it and I have had it for less than 1 year.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Jun 172015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle's speed decreased independently to 30 mph without warning. Additionally, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,100.

- Falem, NH, USA

Jan 092014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Wife was driving new vehicle to work traveling approximately 20 mph. Vehicle stalled. Tried to restart and the en drive on. Service transmission appeared in dash. The check engine light came on and the drive indicator was flashing. Vehicle stalled again. Restarted again and vehicle moved roughly stuck in one gear acting like it was going to stall again. Dealer was called to come get the vehicle for service. The dealer completed update for driveability. No other problems found at that time. Began to notice rough shifts sometimes around 8000 miles. I was driving in town on 06/21/2015 and car stalled holding up traffic. Same scenario of stuck in one gear, check engine light on, service transmission light on and the drive indicator flashing on and off. Had to restart twice and limped home. Taking back to dealer today. Mileage 14889.

- Marion, NC, USA

Jul 022014

Started car in the garage, put the car in reverse and the dash lights were blinking and the radio display flashed and said service trans and the service trans stays lit. Had the car towed to the fuller dealer on rt 22. Somerville NJ. Got the car back 8/8/14. The transmission continues to give me problems while shifting. At time I can step on the gas to accelerate and the car doesn't move than all of a sudden will rush forward. Slowing down and going around a turn is the worst because stepping back on the gas the car feels as if it's going to stop then at once it will rush forward as if I was stepping on the gas all the way to the floor. Had the car back and on 8/21 was pulling out of the driveway at work and heard a terrible grinding noise and lost ability to steer the car. Had it towed and the dealer called the next day to tell me that the left front axle had snapped and was probably a defective one from the manufacturer. I want to get rid of the car because I don't feel safe driving it. I'm afraid if I ever need to step on the gas to get out of the way of something, I will not be able to and will be involved in an accident. Terrible transmission and will be discussing my concerns with my lawyer.

- Green Brook, NJ, USA

Jun 062015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 10 mph, the transmission seized and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed, but the technician cleared the vehicle's computer codes. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Milton, WA, USA

Jun 302014

The transmission in shifting from first to second has a vibration. Took it in twice and they made some sort of adjustment. Now it still has vibration and the shifting is worse from second to first downshifting. You have to come to almost a complete stop before it will downshift to first to get up a hill. Now when you step on the gas to pass someone there is a long hesitation before it shifts to go faster. Terrible transmission on a brand new vehicle I just wasted forty thousand dollars which I have to pay off for the next four years.

- York, PA, USA

Feb 102015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 30 mph, an abnormal noise emitted and the transmission shifted into neutral independently. The instrument panel illuminated. The contact shut the vehicle off and was able to restart it, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed; however, the technician cleared the vehicle's computer codes. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- Drumright, OK, USA