CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 17 of 30)

Cherokee

I have had three recalls on this model. One for a transmission recalibration, one for a shock absorber, and one for an airbag. There is one outstanding for the liftgate but the parts are not available.---I stopped at a stop sign on April 1, 2015 and turned right. The vehicle wouldn't accelerate and several icons appeared on the dash. I turned the vehicle off and on several times and shifted it in and out of gear several times. It finally went into gear and moved forward but was locked into about fourth gear. I travelled 15 miles to the nearest chysler/Jeep dealership for service. The dealership recalibrated the transmission. On May 29 and May 30 the parking brake and engine icon appeared on the dash and when I shifted the vehicle into gear it would not go out of gear because the parking brake was on. I pressed and released the parking gear several times and then it would go into park and I could shut the engine off. This happened several times in my garage. I called Chrysler/Jeep on June 5th at about 40,000 miles and had the vehicle towed to the closest dealership (where I had taken it before). The dealership replaced the transmission module. Two different times since the module was replaced there have been icons appear on the dash. I turn the vehicle off and on and the icons eventually disappear. The transmission is slow to engage after backing up and sluggish to shift when slowing to a stop and then moving forward.

- Manti, UT, USA

Jul 072014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the shift lever failed to shift gears properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The technician was unable to remedy the failure after an unknown manufacturers recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 400. MA 10/15/2015

- Brigham City , UT, USA

May 132015

Cherokee

The vehicle rolled backward into another vehicle after being put inot park.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 242015

Cherokee

August 24, 2015: This can be considered an update to report tracking # 10758562. We were taking our 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude to the a dealership for service, due to the events reported in #10758562. We were on I-95 when the engine light/service transmission message illuminated. Highway speed and performance were not affected, but when we left the highway and were in a stretch of road with traffic lights, acceleration was very sluggish, as in the prior incidents reported in #10758562. No gas had been added since Friday morning (8/21), and the Jeep was not driven on Saturday or Sunday. It had been driven 2-3 miles on local streets on the morning of 8/24, without incident. The 8/24 incident means that on the last 4 days the Jeep has been driven, there has been an incident each day, involving transmission freeze and/or loss of acceleration.

- Providence, RI, USA

Aug 132015

Cherokee

August 13, 2015: Stopped at traffic light, in construction zone. Light changed to green, bikers on side of road, so was going very slow. Engine light/service transmission message came on and transmission froze in second gear. Pulled over, turned off Jeep, restarted, continued trip with no further incidents. August 15, 2015: Slowed for construction on a 2-lane (paved) rural highway. Engine light came on, and Jeep had poor acceleration. Continued driving and gained speed. August 19, 2015: In a line of traffic on 2-lane rural (paved) highway. Speed about 45mph. Engine light/service transmission message came on. Transmission froze in gear, with very poor acceleration. Pulled over, turned of Jeep, restarted, finished remaining 25 miles to destination with no other incident. August 20, 2015: On highway12N to get onto New York state thruway. Speed 45-50mph. Engine light/service transmission message came on. Transmission froze in gear. Very poor acceleration. Pulled into thruway entry park & ride. Turned off Jeep, restarted, took Jeep to local dealership. They did software upgrades and road-tested the Jeep, between 8/20 and 8/21. They did not replace any parts. Dealership did 14-15 mile roadtest. We stayed with family overnight. I picked it up the morning of 8/21/2015. August 21, 2015: Stopped at cemetery on way back to family member's house. Maybe 6 miles between dealership and family member's house. Jeep idled for 2-3 minutes at one site, and 5-6 minutes at a second site. When I got back into Jeep at the second site, the engine light/service transmission message was on. Pulled out into roadway, and had very poor acceleration. Pulled back into cemetery, turned off the Jeep, restarted and drove to family member's house. We decided to try to take the nys thruway for the 250 mile trip back to our residence. No incidents along the way.

- Providence, RI, USA

Aug 132015

Cherokee

With our 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4cyl. We were close to a horrible collision. We were merging onto a major highway when the SUV lost power when accelerating and the transmission disengaged. We were nearly sideswiped by a semi!!!!! when giving the SUV gas, it downshifted to accelerate and then all of a sudden disengaged and the SUV felt like it halted forward slowing down to 15mph. It seemed as if the engine and transmission were not communicating correctly. If the gas pedal was softly pressed the SUV would accelerate, however, if the gas pedal was pressed down further, the transmission was just gone! this continued to happen until the car was power cycled off. This is a major safety concern. Brought it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. I am so scared to drive this SUV now. Please investigate and have a safety update soon!!!!

- South Bend, IN, USA

Mar 162015

Cherokee

Text of letter sent to Jeep/Chrysler on 08/21/2015. Earlier this year I began experiencing poor performance from the transmission in the Jeep I purchased in late December. Shortly after this began I received a recall notice regarding the software governing the transmission. After having this, and an airbag recall, addressed the issue got worse. Again taking it in, the dealer confirmed the existence of the poor performance. However, they had no solution stating that it was a software issue, Chrysler is aware of the problem but has no fix. This transmission defect is causing driving problems and unsafe conditions. I can not rely on the vehicle to accelerate at any time. Even driving with extreme caution, I have been left in several unsafe situations when merging on the freeway or entering traffic. I have now needed to avoid left turns across traffic. I like the car in general and I am asked about it often. Unfortunately, I am beyond disappointed with this problem and have stated this to everyone who asks about the vehicle. I had not bought a brand new car for several years and only did so with the belief that I would be avoiding car problems. I would like to know how Chrysler intends to resolve this issue and more importantly when. I have copied this letter to the Washington state consumer protection bureau and the nthsa.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 202015

Cherokee

I was exiting a highway and had slowed down to a near stop. When I tried to accelerate, the car wouldn't move and then lunged forward. I nearly crashed into the car in front of me. Issues with the transmission of this vehicle have persisted since I first picked the car up in March of 2014. It has been back to the dealership eight times, with five updates being performed, no to avail. The vehicle is unsafe.

- Pelham, NY, USA

Aug 152015

Cherokee

While driving an approx. 10 hour trip from Colorado to Texas vehicle began experiencing problems. Halfway into the trip the check engine light came on after stopping to get fuel. Few miles later the transmission notification appeared and the shifter started blinking while in drive. Came to a stop at a stop sign and the vehicle had problems downshifting in order to brake. Braking took longer than usual. Car rolled backwards when taking off from that same stop sign. Lower gears had a hard time shifting. Rpms unusually high at speeds over 60. Car accelerated on its own multiple times. Car would not allow any dash functions when the transmission temp would go above 200. Pulled over several times to let the engine cool. Restarted car after auto braking feature prevented driving in reverse. Car had trouble driving uphill. No word from dealership but this is the 2nd time in 4 months car has been in the shop. First time was a check engine light having to do with the oil components. I am truly concerned for the safety of my children. When will this problem be taken seriously" when someone dies?"

- Odessa, TX, USA

Aug 292014

Cherokee

Vehicle has rough shifting on acceleration very jerky does not downshift after stopping, dealer reflashed programming, vehicle returned to dealer on recall for transmission reflashed again tranny then replaced new tranny started having same problem, wire replaced to transmission, transmission now having same issue not shifting properly down shift erratic, intermittent lack of power on acceleration due to transmission not downshifting

- Rome City, IN, USA

Aug 142015

Cherokee

The car did not accelerate when peddle was pushed (in heavy traffic) then jumped suddenly to accelerate into oncoming traffic. This vehicle has had complete valve body failure in less than 3,000 miles and numerous updates to the computer because of uneven shifting and acceleration. The latest update seemed to work better for a few weeks and now is worse than previously. The Chrysler dealer (ron carter alvin Texas) refuses to return my calls for service or to set a service date.

- League City, TX, USA

Aug 112015

Cherokee

Love my Jeep except for various shifting and lurching problems.occasionally lurches when putting vehicle in gear forward or backward.latest problem was on accelerating or lack there of.I was at a light turning left.I realized a car coming at me was going pretty fast so I pressed hard on accelerator, RPM's shot up engine sound raced but car only crept forward then approx 1 second later it caught and I made the turn in time, barely.the transmission has gone from being a nuisance to very dangerous. Could have been disastrous consequences.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Aug 072015

Cherokee

In the wake of receiving my car back after transmission replacement (due to the car shutting down while driving), I turned it on the other day and all the lights on the gear shifter console lite up and stayed lite. I brought my car into Jeep and was told that it was throwing a code, some kind of lost connection error but they have no idea why or how to fix it because it isnt doing it any more. This is the second time in 2 months that my car has been in the shop to fix an issue which Jeep claims is an oddity to my vehicle and not a known issue.

- Apex, NC, USA

May 142015

Cherokee

I own a Jeep Cherokee altitude model with a V-6, AWD, and the 9-speed transmission. Approximately 700 miles after receiving the R01 software update to my transmission, the car experienced complete transmission shutdown. The engine continued to run, but no power was transmitted to the wheels. Warning lights came on reading "service transmission", service engine and service parking brake indicators lit up, and the information center instructed me to pull over in a safe place, shift into park, restart the engine, and select desired gear. Once done, the transmission shifted into drive with a violent "clunk". the vehicle would move then, but with only partial power. The dealer "reflashed the control module" and declared the vehicle repaired. After four subsequent events identical to the first, and three additional trips to the dealership, I still do not have my vehicle in my possession. This has been going on for 85 days now. The obvious safety issue of a vehicle losing power at speed concerns me, of course, but the problem I am experiencing seems to be beyond the ability of fca to remedy. There are many of us with this experience, and we would like some assistance.

- Florence, SC, USA

Aug 292014

Cherokee

Ordered car through brown motors, located in petoskey mi. Salesman has been conducting business with the family for many years. Car replaced vehicle affected in a major flood, Aug. 12, 2014. Picked up car from vehicle courier at a location offsite of the dealership. While driving on the expressway few miles and coming to a stop due to traffic, I noticed that the front end on the passenger side made a very noticeable wobbling motion between 5 and 20 mph. Vehicle has repeated the wobbling sporadically at the same speed upon acceleration and occasionally when coming to a stop. Took the vehicle in and had two recalls performed. One for the side curtain airbag and another for the transmission module. The transmission module adjustment did nothing to amend the front end wobble. Also, on occasion when accelerating to pass another vehicle, the engine revs up to almost the red line on the tachometer before the transmission shifts and the car actually increases in speed. Luckily I have never experienced this on a two lane road while passing another vehicle. Other than that the vehicle performance has been adequate.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When driving on I-95 South in the left lane I was accelerating to pass and the engine speed dropped like it was turned off. Multiple dash lights flashed and several messages flashed on dash: Service transmission, service E-brake, put vehicle in park and restart, etc. Vehicle was coasting down from 65 with people catching up to me and beeping. Park was not an option. The gas pedal did not function. I was able to coast into a construction zone and shut down. On first restart it was real rough. On second restart engine seemed fine and I had a mil light and a traction control light on the dash. Police detail officer assisted me off of the interstate and it was driven to dealer on back roads. They pulled codes and re-flashed the control units with the software they had applied two days before. They claimed it was a faulty or incomplete upgrade. They "re-trained" the transmission and it worked fine until this morning (8/7/15) when it did it again whilst accelerating onto highway. Same faults. It is at dealer now and I want them to buy it back. It only has 16200 miles and I have had it less than a year. I cannot drive a vehicle that shuts down on the highway. Someone is going to get hurt or worse.

- Seabrook, NH, USA

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While at the dealer, the instrument cluster, body control module, and transmission software were being updated on the vehicle. The contact stated that after leaving the dealer while driving at low speeds, the vehicle failed to down shift to second and first gear preventing the vehicle from accelerating. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to another dealer, where the technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 12,000.

- Fairview, OR, USA

Jul 312014

Cherokee

After doing my homework and research on a vehicle with #1 safety ratings in its class, I am now in a constant state of fear for the safety of not only myself and my family, but to any other innocent people around me. I travel as little as possible in a vehicle that I am still in debt a very large sum of money on. I took delivery of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk, 4X4 on May 28, 2014. The first issue occurred on July 31, 2014 when the vehicle felt as though the engine dropped out into the street of my neighborhood, disabling the vehicle completely; it was not drivable, nor would it shift into neutral in order to get onto the tow truck. (the transmission and emergency braking systems failed) to make an incredibly long story short...I have experienced this same event as well as many others continuously over a 14 month period in regard to failure of my emergency braking system as well as my transmission to include: Jerking so much that my purse flies from seat onto floorboard, jerking that causes my daughter to lunge forward into the back of the front passenger's seat, a stalled vehicle on busy highways and streets on numerous occasions, sudden engagement of emergency brake with the inability to release the brake while stopped at traffic lights; I could go on and on. After a total of 20+ trips to the dealerships for repairs (8-10 of these of which were via tow truck), (3) new transmissions, several repairs and modifications to the emergency braking system...my vehicle is still currently out of commission and not in my possession. I received a call on tues. Of this week from the dealership to inform me that a resolution was made; yet another transmission would be installed in my death trap of a vehicle. (this makes #4) to say that this is clearly the definition of insanity is an understatement. Something drastic needs to be done before people are killed.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 062015

Cherokee

When going down 6% or greater inclines while driving in the mountains, put the vehicle in 5th or 4th gear to slow it down, but if I touch the brake the car downshifts even further in which it actually speeds up before slowing down. Can understand this if were I using cruise control, but not when I try to control the vehicle speed. Liked the idea of being able to select a gear when descending a hill to provide some compression braking, but it should stay in that gear when I apply the brakes slightly. If applied very hard then should down shift to lower gears.

- Pine, AZ, USA

Mar 212015

Cherokee

Vehicle transmission first failed in driveway at start up at 13773 miles at 10 months. Transmission "service transmission" error appeared with blinking "P" and would not engage. Towed to dealer. Error code reset overnight and dealer could not read the code. Dealer performed a software update to the transmission control module. Transmission was not shifting smoothly on drive home. Second transmission failure occurred on next morning after pickup on 3/25 and 11 miles. Transmission "service transmission" error appeared again with blinking "P". transmission could engage drive gear with a severe lurch. Service tech was able to read a failure code. Chrysler service tech found problem with plug connector on transmission control module and did another software update to transmission control module as first update was not done initially per the correct procedure. Transmission was able to shift smoothly upon repair. Third transmission failure occurred on 5/4 with 18543 miles while vehicle was on the highway at highway speed of 45 mph approaching intersection for left turn. Vehicle transmission "service transmission" error code appeared and transmission shifted into neutral with blinking "D" and lost power. Unable to drive thru intersection. Had to coast to stop. Transmission lurched into park. Turned vehicle off and back on. Transmission was able to lurch into drive and drove across intersection to park in safe area. Transmission was able to shift into and out of gear but was very jerky with mechanical clunk. This failure is of serious safety concern due to motion was unable to continue with vehicle in congested intersection. Vehicle is currently undergoing evaluation to determine course of action by Chrysler. Case number assigned.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA